Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just read the newest Motor Cyclist comparo of the Versys and V Strom. It was a good read and the Versys accomplishments were exposed. But then the writer said the the Versys is a poor mans Multistrada. At first I was a little offended but then I realized that he got it backwards. Maybe the Multistrada is a rich mans Versys, with a lot more power, and options, and dripping with Italian sexiness. So there, put that in your pipe and smoke it Mr. Brian Catterson.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
A friend of mine as a little older Multistrada, the one with the strange two part fairing that half turns on the the rest of it is bolted to the frame. He was giving me crap about my "Ugly Ass Kawasaki" trying to look like a Ducati. I pointed out to that mt Versys could NEVER be mistaken for a Duc. After all Kawasaki just can't make a bike as butt ugly as his is!

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I talked to a guy in a parking lot who had a gen 1 MultiStrada 1100. He walked up while I was checking out his bike. He asked what I was riding and I pointed it out to him. As he checked it out I said it was a Kawasaki Versys, something like a poor man's MultiStrada. He disagreed, saying it more likely a smart man's MultiStrada. Then he told me about his Ducati and how cost a fortune to repair and maintain.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
He disagreed, saying it more likely a smart man's MultiStrada. Then he told me about his Ducati and how cost a fortune to repair and maintain.
One of the main reasons I have Kawasakis is they are cheap(er) to keep up. I'd look at a Norge and asking I got same thing as you "great bike but bring LOTS of money with you for ANYTHING you need at the dealer".

Believe it of not my Buell was the cheapest bike to buy parts for and mantain that I have owned in a long time. Yes even lower that the KLR or Versys. PLUS it only had to go to the shop once for warrenty work, leaking rocker box cover gasket that shorted the cooling fan out, and that didn't cost ME a dime.

·
Registered
46 Posts
A few pennies per mile.

I have had both a Versys and a first generation Multistrada 1100S. I also keep close tabs on costs and eventually compare all bikes on a pennies per mile basis. The Multi did cost a few more coppers/mile, but not much.
The difference in performance, quality and ownership experience more than made up the difference. You usually only get what you pay for.
The upgrade in suspension, high speed handling, air management, brakes, quality components, acceleration and sound inherent in the Multi is not insignificant.
Both are exceptional motorcycles.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I did my own valve adjustments. It is very simple on the Multi with only 4 valves and the cams don't have to be removed to add shims (which are seldom needed) More like 3 valve inspections to 1 ratio.
If the dealer did the two additional checks at say $500/ that would represent about 4 cents/mile. Depending on if the bikes were originally new or used, depreciation may represent the biggest difference. Buying good condition used bikes in lieu of new is where there is significant savings in depreciation.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
The multi was out there way before the Versys. I believe the original model was a 620. There were a lot of similarities.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
531 Posts
The multi was out there way before the Versys. I believe the original model was a 620.
The MultiStrada came out in the UK in 2003 and it was the 1000DS that started the ball rolling. I demo'd that bike back then and although the looks were considered weird at the time, I think it has actually aged quite well. The 620 didn't come out until 2005.

·
Registered
521 Posts
So I just read the newest Motor Cyclist comparo of the Versys and V Strom. It was a good read and the Versys accomplishments were exposed. But then the writer said the the Versys is a poor mans Multistrada...
I chuckled when I read that too...and when he was talking about the clutch pull on the bikes...."both have heavier pull than we like to see on bikes that will likely be ridden by women." :huh: What's that supposed to mean? The majority of female motorcyclists buy "Cheap Adventure" bikes? Or maybe *most* women like bikes with 33" seat heights? Or...?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts