Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wear prescription polarized sunglasses and absolutely love them. The polarizing cuts down on the glare so much its amazing. I recently started riding and got a scorpion exo 1100 helmet and the visor (like most brands) says it is optically correct. Yet, I still get a rainbow hue with the visor down. This is only with my polarized sunglasses in case someone tries to say I have a bad visor. I asked my local shop where I bought the helmet and they called up the distributor who said this is common with all helmet visors and polarized glasses.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any replacement visors that don't give a rainbow effect? Is it just this helmet?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Yup. I get the rainbow with both my Shoei and Arai. You ill get this with any cured polycarbonate surface.

I just went with a dark visor and wear my regular glasses.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Yup. But I found the rainbows seriously distracting.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I have polarized sunglasses but never use them riding or driving. Much as I'd like the glare-reducing qualities, the tricks that polarized lenses play on curved surfaces are too distracting. I save them for general outdoors activities and boating.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
that rainbow is cause by the remnant stress put in the visor when it was bent.
we had more labs at university where we studied polarized fringes with polarized glass (same found in polarized sun glasses)
I used polarized sun glasses with my HJC CL-15 and I had some "rainbow" on the right side, but not too distracting.
Now I have a HJC IS-16 with integrated sun visor and I love it ( not polarized)..

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
I wear polarized clip on sunglasses and don't notice a rainbow with my Bell Star helmet shields. Sometimes the digital display is hard to read thow. Notice that if you rotate your glasses that the polarizing rotates and sometimes that cures not being to see digital displays like some gas pumps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Absolutely, LCD displays can be tough. I am a computer technician and rotating my head gives an obvious effect that is a little shocking the first time you experience it. Same principle as privacy filters common in the medical industry.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Same here.
Polarized prescription sunglases and Zeus modular helmet. I havent found helmet or visor that is 100% optically correct. I get some of the rainbow effects but not as much as I feared. Or i got used to it. Last time i seriously cracked up was when I saw purplish glare from some dudes forehead.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Polarize lens cuts down on peripheral vision, so I don't wear those while driving my car or my bike

On outdoor sports, it's great, but not when peripheral vision is key

LOP

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Indeed I'm no polarized expert but that doesn't make sense to me. If you have a wrap around style glasses then the lense would curve and still do its job for peripheral vision. If for some reason the lense blocks light from the curve then they are just bad glasses. I had a pair like that that wasn't polarized. They curved so far around that my whole view was protected by them and even the frame did not block vision.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Happened to me when I wore my polarized glasses with the shield on my joe rocket helmet. I don't wear mine anymore when riding becuase it was annoying me. And for any display that you can't see with polarized glasses its because there is a polarized filter on the display as well and you are crossing the axes of the filters 90 degrees to oneanother, if you tilt your head it will uncross them and you will be able to see.

·
Super Moderator
19,160 Posts
I tried polarizing sunglasses UNTIL I wore them in a cockpit. The distortion thru the windshields was enough to make me puke.

Gave them away.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Same problem with polarized clipons. I wear clipon shades over my regular glasses. I finally found un-polarized clipons and they fixed my rainbow problems. I just couldn't get used to the rainbow effect and now I make sure I have at least one, if not two backup clipons laying around.

·
Registered
257 Posts
(From the FAA regarding polarized glasses)
Polarized lenses are not recommended for use in the aviation environment. While useful for blocking reflected light from horizontal surfaces such as water or snow, polarization can reduce or eliminate the visibility of instruments that incorporate anti-glare filters. Polarized lenses may also interfere with visibility through an aircraft windscreen by enhancing striations in laminated materials and mask the sparkle of light that reflects off shiny surfaces such as another aircraft’s wing or windscreen, which can reduce the time a pilot has to react in a “see-and-avoid” traffic situation. (Airliners.net, 2009)

I have a pair of non-polarized American Optical sunglasses with the bayonet temples to use while wearing my helmet, they work great.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I wear prescription polarized sunglasses as well, never noticed a rainbow effect with my HJC helmet.

·
Registered
68 Posts
(From the FAA regarding polarized glasses)
Polarized lenses are not recommended for use in the aviation environment. While useful for blocking reflected light from horizontal surfaces such as water or snow, polarization can reduce or eliminate the visibility of instruments that incorporate anti-glare filters. Polarized lenses may also interfere with visibility through an aircraft windscreen by enhancing striations in laminated materials and mask the sparkle of light that reflects off shiny surfaces such as another aircraft’s wing or windscreen, which can reduce the time a pilot has to react in a “see-and-avoid” traffic situation. (Airliners.net, 2009)

I have a pair of non-polarized American Optical sunglasses with the bayonet temples to use while wearing my helmet, they work great.
Not recommended for motorcycling either, as the polarized lenses interferes with the ability to see oil and other slick spots on the road surface.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts