Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cleaning my chain I discovered this:

It appears to be motor oil. The clear plastic tube goes up and connects to the bottom of the airbox. Someone please tell me if this is normal. Does it indicate something is amiss and should I do anything about it?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Cleaning my chain I discovered this:
It appears to be motor oil. The clear plastic tube goes up and connects to the bottom of the airbox. Someone please tell me if this is normal. Does it indicate something is amiss and should I do anything about it?
Probably due to over oiling the air filter the last time it was cleaned... Take out the black plastic plug and drain the tube. I do not think you'll see that much more oil in the tube again after doing that.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, its definitely not oil from oiling the air filter. It must be engine oil sucked from the crankcase.

·
Registered
291 Posts
No, its definitely not oil from oiling the air filter. It must be engine oil sucked from the crankcase.
Okey, then you might have a problem. Could it be worn piston rings causing a pressure inside he motor, which escapes this way?
Is the oil level in the motor where it should be?
How many miles do you have on the bike?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Could it be that you overfilled the crankcase? If this is the case oil will be blown into the airbox and then drain down into catchcan.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Drain it, see if it does it again and how soon. When was the last time you looked at this, ever?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yep..and yep.. I have NEVER looked at that tube. The tubing is discolored so my guess is its been in there a while. I let the :censored: dealer do the 600 mi service years ago...that is the only time its been overfilled with oil. It really is a very small amount so I'll just keep an eye on it. If it fills up again I'll be looking harder at Ander's response...17850 miles no oil use and the oil level is right where it should be...I check this even more often than tire pressure I'm afraid to say. Thanks for the input guys.:clap:

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
Aha, overfilling by :censored:. :eek: That could definitely be the cause.
If it doesn't take any oil I don't think that you should be worried. Just keep an eye on the tube, like you say, check again after a couple of months.
Good luck!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That was a Typo...Thats 7850 miles not 17850...I'll open the airbox and clean the air filter....its time anyway.

·
Super Moderator
19,458 Posts
One of our "clean-air" solutions is to vent the crankcase thru the airbox so that the fumes get burned in the engine, and that line goes from the airbox low point, so you drain it out now-and-then. That's all that is.

That line is VERY easy to "kink" when you remove/ replace the airbox when 'doing' the valves....

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
The crankcase vents into bottom of airbox, right beside that plugged hose. It's plugged to prevent dust ingested through it in airbox's negative pressure whle engine is running. It also prevents the oil from dripping down on road and rear tire, and allows you to see how much if any is accumulated.

Was your engine oil overfilled at all, and do you like to rev the engine out a lot? It's not that bad for 7850 miles total.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The crankcase vents into bottom of airbox, right beside that plugged hose. It's plugged to prevent dust ingested through it in airbox's negative pressure whiue engine is running. It also prevents the oil from dripping down on road and rear tire, and allows you to see how much if any is accumulated.

Was your engine oil overfilled at all, and do you like to rev the engine out a lot? It's not that bad for 7850 miles total.
Yes on the overfill..was overfilled at 600 mile service and I didn't notice until after the 12 mile ride home and overnight settle..the sight glass was completely occluded by oil. I drained to a proper level. Yes, I keep the engine wound up quite often and have made several sustained 100+ mile efforts at 80mph +

1 - 12 of 12 Posts