Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a tack today - right in the center of the front tire, in the meaty portion. Now, I realize the official dealership position is no repairs, no way. My bike friends all say to "patch it and ride it". What are your forumer opinions?

And no , "Just wheelie all the time and you'll be okay" isn't a good option!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
crickets chirping - tumbleweed blowing across the road...

Ended up plugging it, plug wouldn't hold air, hole was too big. Went to the dealer and got a new tire. $187! yeeeouch.

·
Registered
92 Posts
For me I would want a new front. Rear, I have ridden on plugs till the cords showed.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Being a newbie, what's the common mythology/methodology/logic as to what to do post pickup of a nail, tack, etc.?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I picked up a nail in my rear wheel. Put a plug in it about a month ago and have had no problems. I will probably still get it patched from the inside before I go any real distance (longest trip has only been about 40km) but it seems to be holding well. I don't think I'd go very far at all though on a front with a plug.

·
Registered
129 Posts
hmm, I was under the impression that bike tires are mostly "tubed" tires, which should mean you could patch the tube and plug the tire and you are A-for-away.

Are you running a tubeless tire that you are concerned about the safety of plugging?

On a tubeless a hole in the middle of the tire shouldn't be a problem to plug, the problem is normally when the plug needs to be put in on a section that flexes alot, i.e. somewhere on the sidewall or on the corner of the contact area. I say that from a motor vehicle point of view though, I realize it could be completely different for bikes.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmm, I was under the impression that bike tires are mostly "tubed" tires, which should mean you could patch the tube and plug the tire and you are A-for-away.

Are you running a tubeless tire that you are concerned about the safety of plugging?

On a tubeless a hole in the middle of the tire shouldn't be a problem to plug, the problem is normally when the plug needs to be put in on a section that flexes alot, i.e. somewhere on the sidewall or on the corner of the contact area. I say that from a motor vehicle point of view though, I realize it could be completely different for bikes.
Versys has tubeless radials. Almost all mainstream bike dealerships in the US will not plug an on-road motorcycle tire, period. Too many liability issues.

Dunlop's opinion seems to discourage it.

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/infocenter_tiretips.asp?id=13#tip

·
Registered
14 Posts
Plugs

I just plugged my front Distanzia after getting "screwed". I used one of the "mushroom" type plugs that is glued to the inside wall. I feel happy enough that this will be safe. I wouldn't use the basic "snake" plug for a permanent fix, on either tyre.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I love this stuff and did a lot of research on it. It is MUCH better than Slime and some others.

http://www.ride-on.com/

Your rides will be smoother and your tires will last several thousand miles longer.

Non-toxic and is made not to break down over a short period of time like Slime does.

It is not cheap, but considering all that it does and gives longer tire life, it's well worth it.

The only bad thing about it is my tires SELDOM need air top offs now. So my new air compressor just sits there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts