Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an old school where they used to use metal parts on the bike's body. now it is all horrible plastics. i keep having issues with these plastics as they do not fit snug to each others and create noise. ok, here is my new 650. it is already creating funny rattling noise. i went to Kawasaki dealer, and they could not fix it, because it is all crap. the plastic pins get lose and whatnot. in the picture i attached, the connecting part between the dashboard and what is behind is loose, and rattles. what can one do about it?
plastics .jpg

·
Registered
724 Posts
(You seem to start many of your posts with an angry opinionated editorial comment of the bike we like. You are not helping yourself.)

Plastic is the norm to keep things light and low cost and kawa didn't fail to add plenty of foam inserts in strategic places to prevent rattling; yours may be lost or dried up for some reason and you can put improvised fresh ones.

The top cowling is actually very tight when installed correctly and it doesn't even need the quick release pins as it is screwed below. The most probable cause of rattling in that dashboard area is actually the meter resting against the console's back. More foamy inserts...

·
Registered
278 Posts
I had same problem, but i didn't try to fix that, I know few time to hit gently with hand that 2 part, and rattling stop, but after 4000km that sound are gone, and since that I didn't heard nosie more.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
(You seem to start many of your posts with an angry opinionated editorial comment of the bike we like. You are not helping yourself.)

Plastic is the norm to keep things light and low cost and kawa didn't fail to add plenty of foam inserts in strategic places to prevent rattling; yours may be lost or dried up for some reason and you can put improvised fresh ones.

The top cowling is actually very tight when installed correctly and it doesn't even need the quick release pins as it is screwed below. The most probable cause of rattling in that dashboard area is actually the meter resting against the console's back. More foamy inserts...
how so? if would consider your opinion opinionated, and actually not making sense. I am just addressing some issues at hand. I love that bike. ps. there are no any foamy inserts there that I could see, like zero, and my bike is brand new.

·
Super Moderator
19,423 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
yeah, i have found the plastic fit and finish of Kawasaki to be a little below par compared to Honda or Suzuki. But in general that is the deal i guess with modern bikes, you might this this youtuber's take:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wear EARPLUGS...?

;)

kris - look at the word "opinionated". It CONTAINS the word "opinion".

Maybe that's a hint.
english is my second language, even though it is my first. I did publish some books in english, but still it is not pefect. However, in this case it was 'pun intended'.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, regarding the quality of Kawasaki plastics, it varies from one bike to another. in my V1000 all is good so far after 4 years, and KLX 230 (not much plastics there) is really nice. But, in my friend's Versys 300, the side panel just broke for no reasons (where the bolt attaches), and she had to replace the turn signals twice, as the rubber broke; they designed this big hole for indicators held by flimsy rubbers for reasons unknown. At the end, I fitted in her bike full led lights with an adaptors to cover the holes. And keep in mind, the bike made only 3000km!

And while on the subject. I changed the headlight bulbs in my v650 to these lovely LED bulbs H7 LED Headlight Bulb - High Performance. And while trying to fit them, the screw that keeps the spring in place snapped and so did the aluminium part holding it. It is all just made so cheap. Anyway, while I did order a new headlight housing (here it is relatively non-expensive), i made an interesting fix. I just gooped the bulbs' base and removed the springs altogether. I hope it will hold; at least I do not have to twist the springs. They are always on the way when you fit LED bulbs.

I understand that plastics are lighter, etc...and may help the air flow in sport bikes. But why do we need them in an Adventure bike? Why not to make bikes like this:
royalenfieldhimalayan-1-800x551-1.jpg
led base gooped.jpg

·
Premium Member
16,186 Posts
Whenever i hear a noise i just turn the music up...

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
yeah, i have found the plastic fit and finish of Kawasaki to be a little below par compared to Honda or Suzuki. But in general that is the deal i guess with modern bikes, you might this this youtuber's take:
There are modern classics like my Moto Guzzi V7 Carbon. Very little plastic on this bike. Of course some people say Carbon Fiber is plastic. Whatever.

smIMG_0568.JPG

·
Registered
196 Posts
After owning multiple BMWs and a Ducati, I appreciate the Kawasaki body work. Replacing the largest plastic bit on my V650 could be done at least 2x for the price of a similar piece on my last BMW (K1200S). It is also much easier to remove than previous bikes ive owned so im a fan of the budget route Kawi took.

I also get that buzzing around the instrument cluster, but it disappears above 35mph so I ignore it when its present.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i am wondering if it is Japanese mind that influenced too much the constructions of the bikes. I lived in Japan for a while, so I kind of know how they think. Before, the British bikes ruled the world, and then the Japanese came up with their cheaper and faster bikes, and the British got out of the business. Well, they are 'now' in the business because they adapted; Triumph makes very nice bikes. A fun fact, the British bikes were so bad that there was a saying that if a bike does not leak oil, it means that there is no more oil in the engine:)

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks. It replaced a Yamaha FZ-07 that was a great riding bike, but had so much plastic and "fake" inlets, "fake" carbon fiber, even a cheap metal fuel cell completely covered in plastic panels.
yes, I really cannot get this obsessive compulsive addiction of the bike companies to cover bikes in plastics.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Regarding the plastic noise in the V650, I got very much acquainted with the front fairing these days. as I wrote before, I had to take the headlight housing as the part to which the bulb's clip attaches broke. Partially my fault, but mainly because it is just low quality. First, I used goop to attach the base of the LED bulb, but the goop I have is not heat resistant so it failed. Now, I used epoxy, and so far it seems rock-solid. Anyway, the noise is somewhere in the front, near the dashboard, I believe. It is not that serious, and I can live with it, but the fact is that I could not find a way to fix it, even though I put all the plastics together with great care.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I disagree. In my Honda Cb500x the ratling from the instrument cluster was worse than in my versys. I see all the time Honda riders complain about the same things.

As said above I also feel/hear a rattle noise from the dashboard / instrument cluster, mainly at idle or riding very slow. Usually it desapears riding above 30-40km/h. No big deal. In my Honda it was always there.

I would love to have more time to ride my versys and spend less time whining about it

Enviado do meu RMX2063 através do Tapatalk

·
Registered
331 Posts
you want rattle, get a KLR. or worse yet, a BSA, my fix is RTV. a couple dots of that at strategic locations and buzz be gone. fills gaps, dampens vibration, easy to remove when needed. I use it on threaded fasteners instead of locktite (on the outside of the engine), if Locktite is required somewhere, then I do that

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the vibrating noise somehow stoped in my bike. but then it started again after I fitted the OEM handlebar guards. the annoying vibration was coming for some unclear reasons from the right handlebar weight. I had to fit some plastic washer where it connects to the bar and another one on the inner part of the long spacer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts