Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In planning for my first big trip on the Versys. a good tour of Pacific Northwest, hitting pavement and forest roads in WA, ID, MT and OR. about 2500 miles over 8 days.. travelling with an F800GS:( and another friend who looking to buy a Versys :thumb:. When done.. will get out a trip report with photos of teh bike and scenery !! This will test what i can do with the versys i think. If anyone has done these roads on a versys and has any advise to offer.. please let me know.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
All the best with your trip mike, you will be able to show the BMW how it is done on the good roads at least.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Congrats on the trip, nothing like taking off with some buddies for an extended journey. Kind of hard to tell what the roads are in the attached image, can you Google Map it?
When do you plan to go?
If you're talking about summer no reason to miss the North Cascades Hwy, one of the great ones! Maybe you get to ride it all the time being up that way?

My advice is to research the route, stay off the slab, and keep it flexible. :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sounds like a great trip! CJH137 and I were in that area last summer and had a blast! I second what the Baron says above...the North Cascades Highway is awesome. There's also a road in NE Washington called "The Flowery Trail Road (Ya I know, not the best name ever). It runs east from Chewelah over the mountains to Cusick (NW of Newport) and despite it's hippie name it's an awesome road. Huge elevation change in a short amount of time, tons of twisty pavement and spectacular views. We spoke to a local in Twisp Washington who rode a KLR and he said there were tons of nice gravel forestry roads in and around the Twisp/Winthrop area too.

-Whitey Jr

·
Registered
716 Posts
Hope you're not leaving till the spring thaw mate! My 2¢: Just about any road in central or north Idaho will be great. Lolo Pass esp. I think you have to ride Beartooth Pass if you get to MT, or they confiscate your bike. Yellowstone Park is beauty, but the tourist traffic almost makes it wort by-passing. Have a great ride.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Can't tell from your map but just north of Bonners Ferry is hwy 2 east. Just over the border into Montana is Hwy 508 which becomes NF95. Yaak River road. Hard to find on some maps. Paved the whole way. Dops you in just south of Rexford. One of the absolute best roads in the northwest. You will be on top of the world with views that rival Glacier National Park. Better yet, you will be the only ones out there.

I have done 80K in the Western states and I tell everyone they have to ride the North Cascade Hwy, hyw 20, across Washington. Fantastic.

·
Registered
293 Posts
NorthWest Passage

This particular versys covered 3,000 mi. in July 2010 on a trip from Seattle, through WA, ID, OR, MT, and WY., including Glacier and Yellowstone Parks. There are countless awesome roads. One pictured is by the roadside on the road to Lolo pass. It's the only place I've seen a yellow road sign with the squiggly arrow saying "next 78 miles"! The other pictures are to show the Versys set up for touring.camping. The bike performed flawlessly and was the only 650 among litre and bigger bikes. It does need an aftermarket seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
Boy that is one pimped out V. Lots of reflective stuff. Can never be too careful. Corbin seat is on the way from former V owner in Fl.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hy 12 Idaho. Looking Glass Highway from East Glacier to St Mary MT. Hy 2 along south side of Glacier Park. The Yaak and both sides of Lake Koocanusa in MT. Stanley to Banks ID. If you have time see Elk City Idaho. Wonderful road in and gravel to Darby MT.

It's all good,,, just go!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Guys for all the suggestions.. i will take a look at them and see what i can fit in.. def looking at lolo hw, and going to elk city and darby. 2nd versys has been procured.. so it will be 2 versys and a F800... i am looking at yaak rd out of bonners ferry yes. ending at rexfod... i will see if i can figure out how to get this into google maps.. not sure how to do that.. lemme take a look...

·
Registered
901 Posts
Sounds like an awesome trip....get a GPS tracker so we can follow you on your journey. One these days I want to do a trip like that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We are now up too 3 v's.. Thanks to sellers in Portland.. The BMW will be well outnumbered !!! Also have a mate from NZ that will be following in a jeep wrangler. An unplanned and welcome beer transporter.

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
We are now up too 3 v's.. Thanks to sellers in Portland.. The BMW will be well outnumbered !!! Also have a mate from NZ that will be following in a jeep wrangler. An unplanned and welcome beer transporter.
Sounds like thing are coming all together nicely, the jeep driver has a very important job of keeping the beers cold!

·
Registered
43 Posts
The trip record won't be as slick as what our Canadian friends Wuitey and Hammy produce but we should have some pics and video of the adventure. It's an international crew from the US and NZ out in the backwoods of the Rockies. Should be an amazing time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts