Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My very close friend has lived and worked in Tokyo for the past ten years. I am finally going to visit. What id luke to plan on doing is seeing my friend for a day or two and then rent a motorcycle and tour an area for a few days ending back up seeing my friend and then coming back home. I don't plan on staying more than ten days.

Does anyone have any experience motorcycle touring over in Japan? Any advice? Any places you may have rented from and would recommend? Other than what i find by searching online I'm hoping some people here have some experience. I haven't decided on when i will go. All u know right now is id plan on going next spring or summer.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
8 Posts
I spent two years in Japan outside of Tokyo at Yokota Air Force Base and rode a cycle for about 1 1/2 years during that time. I was there in the early '90s, so my info may be dated.

The traffic laws are very favorable to motorcycles - lane splitting which is nice in Tokyo traffic and the larger vehicle is always at fault. Unlike the States, the typical Japaneese driver is very conscious of cycle riders. The big item to remember is that they drive on the left side of the street. That takes a little to get used to.

Japan is very mountainous, so once you get outside the city limits, the roads are fantastic for cycle riding and the countryside is very pretty with a lot of history. In the larger cities, the street signs have the English translation for the city, the country areas only have Kanji, so I would urge you to learn the Kanji for the larger cities - Tokyo, Shinjuku, Tachikawa, etc, so once you get "lost" in the mountains, you will be able to follow the signs back to a large city.

There were two places which we used to ride all of the time - Oku Tama (Pic Below) and Mount Takao, but you can't go wrong on any mountain rode. We used to watch racing up and down Mt. Takao most weekends.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
19,450 Posts
...The traffic laws are very favorable to motorcycles - lane splitting which is nice in Tokyo traffic and the larger vehicle is always at fault. Unlike the States, the typical Japaneese driver is very conscious of cycle riders. The big item to remember is that they drive on the left side of the street. That takes a little to get used to....
I used a 'mantra' when I rode in Thailand:
- ride left, LOOK right; ride left, LOOK right; ride left, LOOK right... and I'd say it to myself, OVER and OVER.

It must've worked as we didn't get into any crashes!
:goodidea:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts