Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in need of new tires after 1000 miles of street riding. I ride 95 percent street and a little gravel. My pace is intermediate on track and spirited on street. My old bike had the Pirelli scorpions and I loved them on that bike (Honda CB500X). My other bike a FZ09 has the angels and I love them on that bike but it's a 180 rear. Any one have experience with either in the 160 on a versys? Also would I be better to get the A spec which is intended for heavier bikes?

P.S. I ride a 2015 650 LT

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have the Pirelli Angels on my '13 650 and like them a lot so far. I did not get the A spec for heavier bikes, as I took that to mean 600+ lb cruisers and the like.
Another popular choice is the Michelin Pilot Road 4, they're usually less expensive. Pirelli was having some sort of rebate when I bought them, so they were a better price at the time.
Metzler is the same as Pirelli, as mentioned above, so another good option.

I do no off road, these tires are sport tour. Not sure how good they would be off roading. The Scorpions are more suited to off road use.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
The Metzeler Tourance Next and the Pirelli Scorpion 2 are in the same category and both made by Pirelli. The Tourance Next is apparently longer wearing while the Scorpion has better on pavement grip.

The Versys is not considered a heavy weight bike.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I used to work for Pirelli at the race tracks changing tires for the pro's
I was impressed what racers said about the Diablo II that the super retards were using.

The V needs some new sneakers, SO,
ordered a set of Pirelli Rosso Diablo II from BTO sports (who is employing a local kid on his 450 motocross team.) Benny Bloss.
for $245.00 shipped.
I will install and balance myself, we will go from there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ended up with the Angels's. Have about 400 miles of Deals Gap Dragon on them and love them. Currently running 38 psi rear and 36 front. Think I am going to up the rear to 42 see if that helps tire life.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I ended up with the Angels's. Have about 400 miles of Deals Gap Dragon on them and love them. Currently running 38 psi rear and 36 front. Think I am going to up the rear to 42 see if that helps tire life.
42 rear?! Careful with that as it may narrow your contact patch and lead to abnormal wear. I stick with 32F/36R

·
Registered
283 Posts
42 rear?! Careful with that as it may narrow your contact patch and lead to abnormal wear. I stick with 32F/36R
I thought 36 front 42 rear was recommended for this bike. I could be wrong. I know it recommended for the V1k per the OM.

·
Super Moderator
20,919 Posts
42 rear seem quite high.... I run 33-36.
Let us know how you feel about the new psi.
When I picked up my '08, the dealer's mechanic recommended 36 psi F, 42 R when I asked him, so I went w/ that. I ran my KLR, my SR500, my Bandit 1200S (as well as THREE V 650s) at those pressures, and then, in his "build thread" jdrocks wrote that he uses those pressures, and NEVER 'airs-down' (as that can lead to bent/ broken rims).

I've ridden some GNARLY stuff w/ jdrocks (the AZBDR on knobbies), also on DS rubber, street rubber, and I GENERALLY get VG mileage from my tires, and I tend to NOT have 'chicken-strips' on my tires, and I TOO never 'air-down'. BTW - I weigh about 178# PLUS gear - ATGATT.

A few AZ riders have ridden w/ me and mentioned the 'pace' that I kept....

·
Registered
173 Posts
I just bought my first set of Michelin PR4's for my V to replace the stock Dunlops. Cost more but excellent reviews and feedback. Ran one set of Pirellis on a previous bike with no real complaints better than stockers.

·
Premium Member
16,378 Posts
When i bought my 09 650 the mechanic also told me to run 36F 42R so thats what i always did and always got great mileage out of my tires and never had any issues...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts