Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have just ordered new set of tires (PR 4) for my upcoming tour in europe with my wife...
I went straight to take the appropriate version for a versys 650...then I saw that there are other options in PR 4 i.e. Trail and GT...
as you recall my be, in the past I was tempted by taking the GT version because of the extra weight on the bike (top + side cases and my wife) but the available size for the rear tire is 170/60/17...so I spent too much time searching the internet on what could go wrong with a tire slightly bigger than the OEM recommended tire...I got mixed answers...so I dropped this idea...

Now that I have pulled the trigger on the normal PR4..after payment I started worrying again especially that I gained 3 more kilos...:thumbdown:

was it the right decision to stick to the OEM or could I have gotten the GT which is slightly bigger but is designed for heavier loads...??

·
Registered
481 Posts
I am very happy with my PR4's. They stick very well and are holding up fairly well in two-up (overloaded) conditions. They shine in the twisties and they really suck in the snow and dirt. If you ride on the street, you have made a good choice. :clap:

With both of us on board with all our gear and a couple days worth of supplies the suspension, brakes and engine are all busting a gut but I have no qualms with the tires.

As for the Fatfoot some have asked me about see this post.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great! Sounds reassuring...

I know it is an embarrassing question but could you tell me the total weight of both of you with gears with and the cases loaded?
What PSI did you have one each wheel?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
71 Posts
Low sided first ride on mine. New tires + dirty roads = I'm an idiot. they just seemed so nice and sticky fresh. Oh well. So far love them otherwise.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
great ! thanks a lot!

my wife and I with gears are around 418 lbs...so I will add around 70 lbs of luggage and then I should be fine..

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
I put the GTs on the Concours . A lot more going on than just weight. The power to the rear wheel was also considered. I don't think you have a safety concern. More of a "how many miles will this tire last?". I would run the max cold pressure printed on the sidewall if you think you are loaded to the max.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I put the GTs on the Concours . A lot more going on than just weight. The power to the rear wheel was also considered. I don't think you have a safety concern. More of a "how many miles will this tire last?". I would run the max cold pressure printed on the sidewall if you think you are loaded to the max.
I see. My concern was not about how many miles because I am having currently the PR3 which is still look very good after 11.000 KM so far...however, I got a nail on the rear wheel and thought about changing it...

if the safety is ok (which apparently is according to the responses so far) then the rest is fine. :)

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Funny I checked into the same. Wanted a tire that would last a long time. GT is not recomended for the V650.

From eveything I have heard you should be fine just top off with a little extra psi. :thumb:

I really like the MPR4's so far! :thumb:

Best of luck on your trip!

·
Premium Member
16,220 Posts
You'll be fine with the regular PR4's :thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
549 Posts
I am a large guy 250 lbs and regularlle carry my aluminum panniers with me loaded. I think the heaviest I have done so far with gear was a 90 lbs of gear spread out on the seat paniers and rear rack. I could not tell you what every thing weighs, you may want to get heavier weight springs. This is on my list when funds come available.

·
Super Moderator
19,630 Posts
...Now that I have pulled the trigger on the normal PR4..after payment I started worrying again especially that I gained 3 more kilos...:thumbdown:

was it the right decision to stick to the OEM or could I have gotten the GT which is slightly bigger but is designed for heavier loads...??
I suggest that you run higher pressures - I've run 36F and 42R on BOTH Vs since new (75,000 miles between them), as well as the SAME pressures when I had a KLR. IF you read some of the ride reports by "jdrocks", you'll find that he (and 'he' is a BIG he...:D) runs right around the same 36F and 42R I do, and does NOT "air-down" on dirt (which is WHERE Dave USUALLY is...)!

:cool:

·
Premium Member
16,220 Posts

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Absolutely. Versys 650 is built to take it, but it's still a middleweight with a 650 twin... Michelin's regular Pilot Road 4 is perfectly ideal for it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts