Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I recently got a RAM mount for my iPhone 4, and it looks and works great. There's really just one concern - the vibrations. After taking some video footage from the phone it's pretty clear that the phone must be taking quite a beating up there from the engine vibrations.Anyone know of any remedies, or is it simply the nature of the beast with these mounts?

Here's a video I took - you can see that the vibrations are not really about the speed, but rather the RPMs.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Here are my ideas:

The Rox Anti-Vibe risers or a better handlebar would at least lessen the vibes.

Try mounting it closer to the handlebar clamp.

If you could figure out a way to get a second mounting point that might help out as well.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Cool - thanks, brothercannon!

---

Here's what the RAM-mount people said just now:

---

"Good Day,

After a few emails with a colleague here that is most familiar with the operations of our mounts on motorcycles I have the following responses.

Below is his comment regarding the switching of the GPS from landscape to portrait mode.

The phone switches because an accelerometer senses movement in a certain direction and tells it to. I think if he tries to reposition the mount this might help solve the screen changing problem. I notice that when I hold my iPhone a certain way it tends to switch on me a lot.

And here is his reply regarding the vibration from the video.

I think it has a lot to do with the camera he is using. I do not believe that the iPhone 4 has and vibration dampening technology. The mount can only remove so much vibration. I have had this very same problem when using a point and shoot camera in video mode on a street bike. However, here is a video clip of me riding on some seriously rough terrain using a ram mount and camera that was made for extreme video. You tell me if you see a difference….

This video is shot at 720p or lower I think. But despite the lower resolution there is still less vibration.

Have you tried a different location on your handlebar to mount the phone? You may receive less vibration the further you are away from the forks."

1 - 3 of 3 Posts