Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Phone/gps mount/ X300 / DIY over the Dash

9K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  MotoCoco 
#1 ·
This was another little project that was completed over a couple different days as time allowed. An over the dash phone/ gps mount. I got the inspiration from a product made by Adventure Tech, and was originally going to buy theirs, but decided I had most of the materials to try it out myself. I had to make a little change for attaching the ram ball because I didn't give enough space for it to clear the fairing. I also ran into an issue because I ordered the wrong ram ball. I meant to get the 1/2" long post, but selected the 1/4" long one. I've made it work for now, but will be replacing it. Tested it tonight briefly, and it works well, I'll have to play with the positioning a little more though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
I should be able to take a picture or two of that when i get home from work.

#7 ·
I really like the way of fixing the phone mount. It really seems to be the best position, since its out of the wind and rain. and it does not move around with handlebar movements, so it shouldn't catch the charger cable eventually.
Also really like how you did the mount and the tutorial pics!!

1 question for me stays. Are the screws that hold the windscreen long enough to cope well with the wider space squeezed in? Or would you recommend longer replacement screws?

#8 ·
I really like the way of fixing the phone mount. It really seems to be the best position, since its out of the wind and rain. and it does not move around with handlebar movements, so it shouldn't catch the charger cable eventually.

Also really like how you did the mount and the tutorial pics!!

1 question for me stays. Are the screws that hold the windscreen long enough to cope well with the wider space squeezed in? Or would you recommend longer replacement screws?
The bolts holding the windscreen to the bike seem to be plenty long enough in this application. I put a little blue loctite on them when I buttoned everything up a couple months ago, and I've had no issues with them. The only problem I've had is with the ram ball itself, and that's because I should have ordered the 1/2" long shaft instead of the 1/4"

Reactions: ulito23
#10 ·
Nice job. I also designed a general purpose mount which is fixed behind the windshield. I used stailess steel sheet and an aluminium bar. I designed the outline in AutoCad and made the plate out of 1.5mm thick stailess steel plate using laser cutting. the 2.5mm aluminium bar lets you install a variety of devices. I use it for my Phone holder and Gopro.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.