Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently installed the Barkbuster VPS handguards, the Ixil dual exhaust cans, and Pazzo shorty control levers.

Thoughts on each mod:

Pazzo controls: I replaced my stock controls after my brake lever snapped after a drop. I got the shorter ones so that it would be less likely to break in a fall. That was before I got handguards. However, after installing my guards, I would have still done the same, as they are good for 2 finger clutching and braking, and don't fill up the control area, and don't interfere with the aluminum back bone. They also have a 6 way adjustable switch, which is easier to change the setting on than the stock levers' dial.

Barkbuster VPS handguards: These were annoying to install, I ended up going to home depot to replace the M6X20mm allen bolts included with some that were 30mm long, to make it easier to get the bar clamps attached. The instructions were no existant, and the videos online showing the installation were useless. I figured it out rather quickly, but I would have rather been sure in what I was doing. Plus I had to wait forever for these to come off backorder and be shipped from Australia. I would suggest you look at other companies, as there are handguards that look better than these. Things I like about them: they come with recessed bar end weights that install with a factory look, the bolt for the bar end weight is countersunk into the aluminum backbone and looks really professional. There is an adjustable/removable wind deflector that you can make big, small, change the angle of or remove.

Ixil Exhaust:
Man, I don't know what to say about this one. On the one hand: it's 600$. That's a lot. On the other hand: if you've ever seen the youtube videos of it installed on a versys; they do not do it justice. With the baffles removed (which incidentally is easy to do via two small allen screws) they are insanely loud, and the sound they make not only sounds good, but is unique.

The sound is something like the sound of a V-Twin, with the RPMs of a sportbike. It's kind of wicked. I haven't really ridden with the baffles in, but I fired it up with them once. They didn't seem to make a huge difference in quietness, which will definitely turn some people off.

The installation is simple enough, but again there are no instructions beyond a piece of paper with an autocad drawing on it, that almost have nothing to do with the Versys, but rather they ER-6. To install the Ixil cans: remove the left footpeg/rear brake cylinder mount, remove the old can (might need a fork lift to move it away), put the Ixil Y-spliter on, mount the can bracket, put the cans on y-splitter, bolt them into place with an allen key, (for the front rear bolt I installed the allen bolt with an allen bit and a 1/4" wrench.

Another knock against the Ixil: it did not come with an O2 sensor bung, I have one laying around the shop, and I lock-tighted it in, but you'll need one unless you're installing an Power commander with autotune at the same time.

I attempted to plug the PAIR valve by sticking a plastic oil cap in the engine's PAIR nipple, and reattaching the hose. It'll still backfire if you apply throttle after doing some engine braking, so I might have to look into it more, but it's not bad, it's nothing like a harley coming down the road, where it always sounds like it's back firing.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Me likey...

Did you use the bar-end weights from TwistedThrottle? If so, do they retain the rubber mounting like the stock weights?

I like the shorty levers, nice.

The exhaust? Well, let's just say it's fancy. ;)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are the same weight that twisted throttle offers, as they are barkbusters distributor for the US. They reuse whatever handlebar inserts that the stock weights used.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Nice choices Snarky, if you don't mind, where did you get your IXIL from,
and how long did it take to arrive? I know its been posted previously, so apologize for asking.:thanx:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice choices Snarky, if you don't mind, where did you get your IXIL from,
and how long did it take to arrive? I know its been posted previously, so apologize for asking.:thanx:
I got it from indysuperbikes.com, it took a little less than a month to get it. They don't keep them in stock so they have to order them from Spain. I think they are the only US distributor for Ixil, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Dayyyyuuum! But $600. Ouch.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Are you going to keep inserts out and run it full on? Sounds good unrestricted.
I rode it unrestricted for the first couple of days, it really does sound great. Theres nothing better than riding downtown, having a bum step into the road, you rev the engine, then watch him get back on the sidewalk. Hilarious, my exhaust just saved another mans life! However, I feel though that on the highway, the exhaust might actually be damaging my hearing despite ear plugs and helmet. I have the baffles in right now, though I might take them out when I'm just riding around the city, because it's fun.

On the highway, I might put them in to protect my hearing, and because no matter how loud you are, Houston traffic still doesn't care that you're a motorcycle and asshats will still change lanes directly in front of you or attempt to do so directly INTO you without signalling, loud noises or not. Probably due to our good friend the doppler effect. The baffles literally take less than a minute to remove if you have the allen key handy, and easily fit in my panniers or under my seat.

Dayyyyuuum! But $600. Ouch.
It does seem like a lot of money, and I'm not suggesting people run out and buy Ixil. However, after installing the cans, I feel like my purchase was justified and I might have paid more. My opinion might be biased, and others might not be as blown away; the first time I fired it up, I was inside a building, and it was LOUD.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nice stuff you've added there. :thumb:

I've always thought about putting pazzos on each of my bikes at one time or another
but could never justify the price.

The Ixil, though, that just looks tough.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts