Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Versys 650
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought my 2014 650, I want to get soft panniers. What's everyone running on theyre gen 2 for racks? The givi is cheap but looks pretty wimpy like it would crumple in a drop. Doesn't seem like there's much else available besides the SW-MOTECH. I'm probably going to get the tusk soft bags and I'm not sure they would mount to the motech racks. TIA!

·
Registered
521 Posts
In my opinion GIVi is the best value for money, if I were in your situation I would definitely take GIVI as it is cheaper than SW motech and Hepco & Becker, and it looks much stronger than Shad rack.

Beside SW-Motech you have also Hepco and Becker (which are expensive)

And Shad - which looks really weak:

·
Registered
2014 Versys 650
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In my opinion Givi (Or Kappa - Givi own Kappa, it is same design only logo are different) is the best value for money, I would take him in your place. I personally have a Givi side carrier for the side box.

Beside SW-Motech you have also Hepco and Becker (which are expensive)

And Shad - which looks really weak:
How have the givi racks held up? Im going to use soft bags, probably tusk. But im going to be riding the bike offroad and it will prob get dropped eventually.

·
Registered
521 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
I see, ill probably get the givi rack. Hopfully it holds up
Can you give me link to that side carrier which you find. I can find only 2 on internet with same name but different design, 1 look similar to mine for 2018 model, second doesn't look strong to me. So I have no idea which side rack you get when you order them.

·
Registered
2014 Versys 650
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can you give me link to that side carrier which you find. I can find only 2 on internet with same name but different design, 1 look similar to mine for 2018 model, second doesn't look strong to me. So I have no idea which side rack you get when you order them.
This is what I find

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
521 Posts
This is what I find

I also find that.

But here's what's bothering me:

You se how it look on picture that side rack:
Tire Wheel Vehicle White Automotive lighting

And this is what you get when you open instalation PDF:

Comparing picture and PDF instruction you can notice that they are totaly different.
This one on PDF doesn't look very solid to me.
But if GIVI designed and manufactured it that way, then it probably has to withstand certain weight cases. But how much, that's the question.

·
Registered
2014 Versys 650
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I also find that.

But here's what's bothering me:

You se how it look on picture that side rack:
View attachment 188830

And this is what you get when you open instalation PDF:

Comparing picture and PDF instruction you can notice that they are totaly different.
This one on PDF doesn't look very solid to me.
But if GIVI designed and manufactured it that way, then it probably has to withstand certain weight cases. But how much, that's the question.
Yeah I see that, I know on jdrocks build he made custom racks that are beefy. Not sure I want to go that far though haha

·
Super Moderator
21,533 Posts
...But if GIVI designed and manufactured it that way, then it probably has to withstand certain weight cases. But how much, that's the question....
USUALLY the recommended load limit is quite low. Just checked inside one of my "LT saddlebags" which says the limit is "5 KG/ 11 LBS". That is how Ma Kawi writes "cover your a$$" - it's how LAWYERS write...!

I know I've NEVER ridden w/ ONLY 11 lbs in EITHER of my bags, and on long trips it's probably 30 to 50 lbs each.

·
Registered
2014 Versys 650
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
USUALLY the recommended load limit is quite low. Just checked inside one of my "LT saddlebags" which says the limit is "5 KG/ 11 LBS". That is how Ma Kawi writes "cover your a$$" - it's how LAWYERS write...!

I know I've NEVER ridden w/ ONLY 11 lbs in EITHER of my bags, and on long trips it's probably 30 to 50 lbs each.
Im concerned with it withstanding being slammed into the dirt on a trail or hill

·
Super Moderator
21,533 Posts
If that's ALL you're worried about....

I have TWO "trashed" bags for my '15 LT (out of a TOTAL of three) and one not 'working' properly, two of which will be replaced by insurance. One from EACH side, LOW speed drops.

I plan to repair the TRASHED ones w/ fiberglass SOMETIME.

Here's one.
Liquid Fluid Cap Bottle cap Plastic bottle

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Helmet Automotive design

·
Registered
2014 Versys 650
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If that's ALL you're worried about....

I have TWO "trashed" bags for my '15 LT (out of a TOTAL of three) and one not 'working' properly, two of which will be replaced by insurance. One from EACH side, LOW speed drops.

I plan to repair the TRASHED ones w/ fiberglass SOMETIME.

Here's one. View attachment 188852

View attachment 188853
So thats the stock racks and bags? Made by givi? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
21,533 Posts
So thats the stock racks and bags? Made by givi? Thanks
Yes.

I have a set of TUSK aluminum panniers on my AZ '08 V650. They've been 'down' a few times and they're FINE.

IMG_0580 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

I 'low-sided' my '09 V650 (w/ TUSKs) a bit S of Inuvik, NWT, and the bags survived PDG!

P6212188 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

'Specially AFTER being massaged by my hammer...!

P6212199 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

This pic a couple of days later S on the Alcan.

P6232284 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

·
Registered
2014 Versys 650
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes.

I have a set of TUSK aluminum panniers on my AZ '08 V650. They've been 'down' a few times and they're FINE.

IMG_0580 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

I 'low-sided' my '09 V650 (w/ TUSKs) a bit S of Inuvik, NWT, and the bags survived PDG!

P6212188 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

'Specially AFTER being massaged by my hammer...!

P6212199 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

This pic a couple of days later S on the Alcan.

P6232284 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr
What racks are you running on there? Ill have soft bags so theyll take some brunt too. Im sure the racks will be fine then. I was contemplating just fabbing some up myself

·
Super Moderator
21,533 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts