Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, I've getting the Road Trip bug and I'm investigating panniers for my Mk3 Versys.
I had a chat with a local dealer who quoted me $1400 for the OEM's. Sweet as they are it seems pricey for some luggage ... I could buy some Louis Vitton for the wife and have change for a latte.
So what other options are out there? What does your ride sport?
Soft or hard cases, I don't mind ...

·
Premium Member
9,209 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Take a look at Mosko Moto soft luggage. They are a newer company that has some very nice stuff at reasonable prices. You will have to purchase side racks from whoever you wish. Their pannier systems fit on most all side racks.
Mosko Moto | Mosko Moto Store

Reactions: Tomasama

·
Registered
972 Posts
Hard luggage for the Versys isn't cheap. I bought a 2015 LT so it already had the side bags and then I added the OEM top case (top case with rack, color panels, and key set cost around $800). Kawasaki says the side cases (no extra mounting hardware required) cost around $750. The OEM stuff is all manufactured for Kawasaki by Givi.

Having used the "styled" OEM sidebags for a few months I think I would opt for the type that One Wizard is showing. The styled ones are a bit odd to use unless you have the factory liners (I bought them also). The liners are an additional charge (around $90). The OEM top case is GREAT as is.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Hard luggage for the Versys isn't cheap. I bought a 2015 LT so it already had the side bags and then I added the OEM top case (top case with rack, color panels, and key set cost around $800). Kawasaki says the side cases (no extra mounting hardware required) cost around $750. The OEM stuff is all manufactured for Kawasaki by Givi.

Having used the "styled" OEM sidebags for a few months I think I would opt for the type that One Wizard is showing. The styled ones are a bit odd to use unless you have the factory liners (I bought them also). The liners are an additional charge (around $90). The OEM top case is GREAT as is.
Agreed. Having used the V35s on my Mk1 I am not a fan of them. I would rather have something that I can use 100% of the space.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I ordered my rack and luggage from motostorm.it and saved hundreds of dollars. These are the Outback Trekkers. It might take a couple weeks to get your shipment, but the shipping cost is inexpensive.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
19,629 Posts
I put TUSK aluminum panniers onto BOTH my '08 and '09, but bought the '15 650LT, so it came w/ bags. As onewizard said - they AREN'T great, but I was able to ride to Alaska w/ them this summer, 19 days, 8,700kms. I much PREFER the TUSKs...!

·
Registered
499 Posts
I ordered my rack and luggage from motostorm.it and saved hundreds of dollars. These are the Outback Trekkers. It might take a couple weeks to get your shipment, but the shipping cost is inexpensive.
+1 on motostorm from Italy. I bought my Givi top case set-up from it, and also saved a bundle of dough. Shipping was seriously quick considering it was coming across the Atlantic, too.

Reactions: Tomasama

·
Registered
100 Posts
Depending on your needs, Pelicans are an option. They're cheap, sturdy, and there's more space in them than you might think.

Not too bad on the Mk3...

I just bolted them straight to SWMotec quick release racks. They pop off if I don't want them on the bike.

Really love the Caribou liners too...

Liners, Bags and Racks all in and done for a tad under $500

But then, I'm a cheap bastard, and to me cheap is sexy!

·
Premium Member
9,209 Posts
Tool Tubes

Depending on your needs, Pelicans are an option. They're cheap, sturdy, and there's more space in them than you might think.

Not too bad on the Mk3...

I just bolted them straight to SWMotec quick release racks. They pop off if I don't want them on the bike.

Really love the Caribou liners too...

Liners, Bags and Racks all in and done for a tad under $500

But then, I'm a cheap bastard, and to me cheap is sexy!
Where did you get the tool tubes and were the mounts included?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Reactions: onewizard

·
Registered
19 Posts
What size cases did you get?

·
Registered
19 Posts
42L topcase and 37L side cases.

I think the larger side cases would be too big. The larger topcase might be nice if you ride 2up because it would hold 2 helmets, but I am happy with the 42L topcase.
Excellent thanks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
About $5 a piece from Agri Supply.. if not one near by, online from their website with shipping is less than $20 I think.
Just mounted them to the boxes with the tabs and holes molded into the tubes...

Manual Canister, Manual Holders, Tool Tube | Agri Supply, 67670
Those manual canisters must be so useful!
I've had a look around for some but (I'm in Australia) postage is nuts! $6 canister, $30 postage.

Any ideas on alternatives? It's such a good idea.

·
Super Moderator
19,629 Posts
Those manual canisters must be so useful!
I've had a look around for some but (I'm in Australia) postage is nuts! $6 canister, $30 postage.

Any ideas on alternatives? It's such a good idea.
Don't you have any "tractor" shops there?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tractor shops, trucking shops, heavy equipment shops, fork lift shops, and the list goes on and on. Most of those places should have "manual" storage tubes.
Tractor Shop sounds very colloquial :grin2:

But you're right! I'll have to search around the camping/outdoors stores and see what they got.

Failing that i'll whip something up with some PVC piping.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hey folks, I've getting the Road Trip bug and I'm investigating panniers for my Mk3 Versys.
I had a chat with a local dealer who quoted me $1400 for the OEM's. Sweet as they are it seems pricey for some luggage ... I could buy some Louis Vitton for the wife and have change for a latte.
So what other options are out there? What does your ride sport?
Soft or hard cases, I don't mind ...
The retail price for OEM panniers in the US is about $900. That is for color matched, same key cases. The problem with buying non-OEM cases is that by the time you buy racks, the price is about the same if not more than OEM. The OEM cases do not require racks.

I personally like the OEM cases because they are so well tucked into the bike. Any other cases make the bike really wide which makes lane splitting more difficult and scary. I do not like the fact that the OEM cases have a large cutout that makes it difficult to get large items into the side cases. My helmet fits fine, though.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The retail price for OEM panniers in the US is about $900. That is for color matched, same key cases. The problem with buying non-OEM cases is that by the time you buy racks, the price is about the same if not more than OEM. The OEM cases do not require racks.

I personally like the OEM cases because they are so well tucked into the bike. Any other cases make the bike really wide which makes lane splitting more difficult and scary. I do not like the fact that the OEM cases have a large cutout that makes it difficult to get large items into the side cases. My helmet fits fine, though.
I agree! I ended up buying some beat up second hand OEM's for about $150 AUD. I had to spend some time fixing them up but now they work perfectly!
The cutout is a bit weird and unnecessary, it's like those tail-fins on old chev's. I get that it adds " style" but would be more acceptable if it wasn't so pronounced.
The big draw for me to the OEM is how they just clip on to the frame. It's so streamline.
Now to sort out the manual canisters... :grin2:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts