Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so close to painting my silver parts flat black. The head light trim, rad shrouds and side covers. It will black out my 2010. What do you guys think and has anyone done this?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Make sure you do it right, or you'll be doing it over...and over...and over...

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've done the rad shrouds so far, but will do the side covers at some point. Clean, rough up gently with emery cloth, clean again, dry, and then many thin coats of Krylon plastic.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I've done the rad shrouds so far, but will do the side covers at some point. Clean, rough up gently with emery cloth, clean again, dry, and then many thin coats of Krylon plastic.

Sometimes it's the subtle touch that really makes the difference.
That's one hansom 'Blue' KLE-650 you have there Sir.
And clearly your Versys is chewing up the scenery. Great photograph in and of it's self also.
I to want to change my 'Green" from silver to black on the lower fairings.
Perhaps the metalwork just forward of the swing arm too.
Heck! black it all out but for the swing arm it's self.
Green Spring!!!!
(Sounds like work!) Anyone handy with a paint brush.....Bueller....Bueller...!
:D

·
0 Posts
Picked up my new 07 and I went from this to that asap, way too silver! Side shrouds, enamel- semi sheen. no chips or cracks in 3 years.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Picked up my new 07 and I went from this to that asap, way too silver! Side shrouds, enamel- semi sheen. no chips or cracks in 3 years.

Wow! That looks great! You have some painting skills for sure!
What is that front fender set-up you have? I really like it.

·
0 Posts
cheers - first saw the V and thought crying out for bit more attitude.

Inspired couple of others too here apparently on the front end, do a search, think they wrote it up? (thumpers/cuff?) Anyway, ended u with acerbis supermoto. Mount high as possible and follow wheel contour to look right.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Yup, I ripped it off and I'm not saying sorry.:yeahsmile::goodidea: You had me with the Acerbis front fender, looked at others but they didn't look right to me. I even thought about a GS front nose but my plastic skills are a little short of my ambition.

Didn't do a write up, just lots of pm's but there are a tonne of ways to mount up plastic. Find out what fits the budget and just dick around until you're happy.

I love this bike for all the options and looks that get down the road. Seems like a platform for touring, naked, supermoto, cafe racer and sport.

Topped up the farkles this week to go along with valve check, oil and spark plug change, clear lenses, new cross bar, windscreen trim.:D

ps. How was your trip to our left coast 133bhp?

Attachments

·
Registered
718 Posts
cheers - first saw the V and thought crying out for bit more attitude.

Inspired couple of others too here apparently on the front end, do a search, think they wrote it up? (thumpers/cuff?) Anyway, ended u with acerbis supermoto. Mount high as possible and follow wheel contour to look right.
I gave you full credit man. That was an inspirational bike indeed. You should have been on Kawa's design team for the V IMO. I still wish I had the silver tank to go with the black parts.
Thanks for posting a pic of that pretty bike again.:clap:

·
0 Posts
cheers chaps, falttered like enough to want to do yourself. They should all come that way from the factory! :)

Trip to BC?, you've a good memorey cuff! - actually went really well given, logistics,/time limted, so didnt get across rockies but just Flew in to Vancouver from Vegas, few days there, then onto Whistler, got last weeknds great skiing, got bumped to a huge apartment, ditto rental car, did zip lining etc, Blessed with weather, everything fell into place, as it does when you dont plan. But stunning raods and scenery, like Scottish highlands on a bigger scale. People were nice too, Will defintely be back on a bike one day.

·
Premium Member
16,227 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
cheers chaps, falttered like enough to want to do yourself. They should all come that way from the factory! :)

Trip to BC?, you've a good memorey cuff! - actually went really well given, logistics,/time limted, so didnt get across rockies but just Flew in to Vancouver from Vegas, few days there, then onto Whistler, got last weeknds great skiing, got bumped to a huge apartment, ditto rental car, did zip lining etc, Blessed with weather, everything fell into place, as it does when you dont plan. But stunning raods and scenery, like Scottish highlands on a bigger scale. People were nice too, Will defintely be back on a bike one day.
Glad we could show you guys a good time.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
For the OP, I thought the 2010 model has silver wheels.

A rattle can job will only give so much paint life. To do it right requires a flex additive in a more durable paint and proper surface prep. Bulldog is a good adhesion promotor and flex agent for plastic parts. I would advise caution for just spraying them with a can.

I was going to try the krylon fusion on my lowers but couldn't find a dark gray, only flat black and the other parts are not totally black so would look a bit mis-matched.

·
Registered
303 Posts

LOVE this paint. Nicely done. I have considered doing a similar re-work on my green bike, but with white paint. Now my little brain is racing!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi there... if you have a look at my photos in my profile section, I've painted all the silver bits on my 2008 Versys satin black - and it looks awesome! being a Hotrodder, I like to have my vehicles looking sharp and individual and this what I did to my Versys too, however I need to update the profile photo now as I've done more to it - will do soon! What I used was just a spray can colour (15 minute quick dry) from the Hardware store and used a 1200 grit wet'n'dry sand paper and lightly rubbed the rear frame section - motor shroud panels (took them off) steering area and the handle bar (took the tank etc off) - masked and cover the regions so not to get any over spray and sprayed the areas some 3 times over a 1 hour period.... no great expense (maybe $15.00Aud) and even today when some friends saw the bike for the first time said how great the two colours work together.... my bikes is the Candy Lime green colour. Personnally I wouldn't go with the Gloss or flat black - the satin black blends in more with the bikes own natural black colouring.... Good luck with what you decide - hope to see a photo of the result..... catchya Andreas

1 - 20 of 31 Posts