Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,

When i bought my Versys, I got red because it was the only color in 08 so I didnt really have a choice. I always knew I would eventually paint it. I finally got around to it. Took a while to pick a color, but there is someone in my neighborhood who drives by in their Infiniti G35 and Ive always loved the color. So, I finally did some homework and found out it was called lakeshore slate metallic., sort of a pretty blue/ gray depending on the light and the angle. I took the parts into a local body shop and they did the work for $350. Turned out great. Anyone thinking about doing this, the only part that really requires ANY mechanical skill is removing the gas tank. And even that is pretty simple. I also relocated the versys stickers.

Only thing is, Im not really sure how the red spring works with this color. It looks like it would be pretty easy to get the spring/ shock combo off the bike, but I dont see any way to get the spring and shock separated for painting. Even if you look up the parts schematic, it is sold as a complete unit, you cant buy the silver spring separate. It looks like it may not be made to come apart.

Anyway, check it, let me know what you think about the red spring.

Ryan

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I think it looks great and I think you are going to see many people repainting their Versys to customize it to their taste. It's a bike that can do it all.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Very nice! I like the color and it makes the silver plastics work. I actually like the red spring. I makes it look like a very important part! I think it would look weird if their were more red parts, but just the single red part looks ok.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Very nice! I like the color and it makes the silver plastics work. I actually like the red spring. I makes it look like a very important part! I think it would look weird if their were more red parts, but just the single red part looks ok.
+1 - I agree

·
Registered
256 Posts
Most shocks can be disassembled using a spring compressor. Your dealer might have one. If they do, they will probably charge $25 to disassemble/reassemble the unit. If not, you can always sell it on eBay and buy a replacement. Once you get the spring off, you can have it powder coated. I think it would even look cook to powder coat the muffler flat black.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"Most shocks can be disassembled using a spring compressor."

Yeah, I know. Ive done a lot of work on car suspensions and I have a spring compressor. However, if you look closely at the Versys rear susp. unit, it looks sealed. There are no threads or hex shaped edges, etc at the collar ends of the spring. There is no where to put any type of tool. It doesnt look possible to disassemble.

Ryan

·
Registered
256 Posts
"Most shocks can be disassembled using a spring compressor."

Yeah, I know. Ive done a lot of work on car suspensions and I have a spring compressor. However, if you look closely at the Versys rear susp. unit, it looks sealed. There are no threads or hex shaped edges, etc at the collar ends of the spring. There is no where to put any type of tool. It doesnt look possible to disassemble.

Ryan
I have not really taken a close look, so thanks for the info. Looks like they are about $350 new. Do you know who makes the shock for Kawa? Is it a Showa?

BTW, love the slate paint!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Looks very nice.

Every motorcycle shock I have taken apart has either a clip or bolt at the bottom. If you take all of the preload out you may not even need to compress the spring. I haven't looked at the V but you would normally see a collar on the bottom that the spring will sit on. Once the spring is loose you slide the collar up and remove the clip. Then everything comes off the bottom end.

Pretty standard on dirtbikes but like I said I have never even looked at the V.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Pick up a spring/shock for an '09. Black shock/silver spring.
Paint looks sharp. The only one out there...

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hey, I could paint my green '09 that color.......but it would slow it down:D

Seriously, it looks real nice!

V-Zee

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Looks very nice.

Every motorcycle shock I have taken apart has either a clip or bolt at the bottom. If you take all of the preload out you may not even need to compress the spring. I haven't looked at the V but you would normally see a collar on the bottom that the spring will sit on. Once the spring is loose you slide the collar up and remove the clip. Then everything comes off the bottom end.

Pretty standard on dirtbikes but like I said I have never even looked at the V.

Exactly. No spring compressor needed. Release/loosen preload all the way.

:thumb:

·
Registered
481 Posts
Good looking color! :D

Actually, I have been thinking about painting my bike a different color! My local bike shop quoted me $720 if I just leave the bike with them. $600 if I take everything off the bike for them. I am glad I haven't done it, because you got yours done for only $350!!!

What do you have to do for the tank? Do you have to remove the fuel pump and anything else on the tank???

Thanks!

·
Registered
254 Posts
That looks great, I've also noticed that Infinity color :)

If it were me though, I'd replace the turn signals with the clear 09's, I think that would top it all off.

·
Registered
132 Posts
We painted a spring on a KX250 back in 2004 with Krylon Gloss Red. We scuffed it up with a Scotchbrite pad, clean it with paint prep and shot the paint on. Four years later, it still looks good and the paint stayed put with no flaking.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I removed my shock when I painted mine. Took it to a local shop to compress/remove it for $5.00. Had the spring powdercoated, then had the spring put back on. Followed the manual for shock removal, reinstall. No problems at all. Nice color on your V... looks like my '07 Star Stratoliner (Dark Silver). Best wishes

1 - 20 of 35 Posts