Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Oxford X20 Went back, Coretech 2.0 12 liter arrived!

Well, I just pulled the trigger on the above mentioned tank bag. Appears to made for "sloping tanks" (like our Versys), is a strap mount design, expands to 20 liters, has a map pocket, etc. etc. I ordered from revzilla for $79.00. I had been strongly considering the Kawasaki OEM bag, as it really seems to be a perfect fit, but was lacking in other areas (and costs $140.00!). When it arrives I will advise as to how well it fits, functions, and post pics of how it looks.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,815 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AlaskaJeff: yup, that's the one. Total fail. Overall the bag seemed sturdy and well made, but it was a lot bigger than expected, and the strap mount system was a little too convoluted for my taste. The bag (and mounting "base") covered the tank cap, so I would have to literally remove and reroute the whole front mounting strap system every time I need fuel, unless I want to reengineer the whole thing, which I don't. On the upside, the tank bag "base" has a built in map pocket, just in case you want to use a map but no bag. Thankfully it seems revzilla returns are easy, so back it went. I ordered the 12 liter Coretech 2.0 magnetic mount to replace it, so we'll see how that goes.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, the Coretech 2.0 12 liter magnetic bag arrived today, and it fits pretty well. Even with the "wings" out, all 8 magnets are contacting metal. I mount it high enough on the tank that it partially covers the fill cap, and only the last inch or two "overhangs" or doesn't contact the tank surface. It has a security strap that clips onto a ring at the front of the bag, and loops around the steering neck. All in all, seems pretty secure. The cost was $109.00 from revZilla. Coulda saved a few bucks on Amazon, but revZilla's return procedure was REALLY fast and efficient when I returned the Oxford (last Monday, refund already received!), so I stuck with them. Pictures soon to follow (once I take them).
Ed: thanx for the pics. I did look at them (as you mentioned them in another thread), and the Coretech looks like it shares a lot of traits with yours (shape, possibly size, accessories/functions...even the pockets, minus the side pockets yours has). Since this Coretech actually made it past the "mounting stage," I think I may have to keep it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AlaskaJeff: y'know it's funny how narrow that Oxford bag looks in the pictures, especially the one you posted. Even knowing the dimensions it made me think: "meh, it ain't that big." Then it arrived, vaguely resembling a double-wide trailer. It just seemed like anywhere I placed it on the tank (never even bothered mounting it) it was just going to get smacked around by my handlebars. That (and the above mentioned mounting/fueling woes I foresaw) led me to pack it right back up.

On a side note, I think the strap mount version of the Coretech bag would fit the Versys even better than the magnetic mount, though I suspect you'd want to cut a hole in the mounting "platform" where the fill cap is...or maybe the disengagement for fueling would be less cumbersome/better engineered Than the Oxford. I guess that's gonna be for someone else to figure out.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Yeah, it's hard to tell with them until you actually put it on the bike. I've been happy with the OEM Kawasaki tank bag. I have never had one on a bike before, wasn't sure IF I would even like it. But it has worked out great. I don't think you can get away from having to remove it for fueling, but since it's magnetic it's not that big of a deal. It is expandable and even though it doesn't have a full size map pocket it does the job well. Besides, with modern GPS and phone capability I don't see myself needing to use a map anytime soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts