Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm leaning towards the cherry bomb 87703, which is almost the same as the famous DIY muffer, but with a center inlet, .75 inch thicker and 1 inch wider.
looks like the edelbrock 55740 should work, but it's around $100. also, the flowmaster 50 deltaflow street with a 17" long body will probably squeeze in there, too, but you might have to weld on the adapter to save space.

·
Registered
779 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is the '09 different?

I just loose fitted..or tried to...a 13" bodied muffler like the DIY muffler immortalized on this forum, only mine is center inlet, side outlet. It ain't gonna fit without some rework. Makes me wonder if the oil pan is different on the '09. The stock muffler/converter has an 11" body. It's not that tough to shorten a muffler, if you have metal fab experience, but it's not turning out to be a quick mod. The upside is that I'll have one end of the muffler off so I can add in an extra baffle or 2. The weight difference is amazing.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I'm welding a $63 #10414 Magnaflow satin stainless steel 4" round body, 14" long, 2" in/out with 2.5" core onto my Muzzy muffler mount after cutting it off, with a Yoshimura outlet #TEC-SD2 . My Muzzy header's collector and muffler inlet is 2" OD. Also available in polished stainless steel.
http://www.hottexhaust.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=10414

[
The more I think about your idea, the more I like it. I think it would probably be quiet enough without the insert, but it will be interesting to see. I can't wait for your review!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DIY can

you can get off the shelf turn outs at any decent muffler/performance shop that sells mandrel bends. buy a bend and slice it up how you want it.
I just fired up the bike with the DIY muffler and the noise level is unacceptable. Yea, it sounds awesome...but it's just too loud. back to the drawing board....

·
Registered
92 Posts
i'm leaning towards the cherry bomb 87703...
I just fired up the bike with the DIY muffler and the noise level is unacceptable. Yea, it sounds awesome...but it's just too loud. ....
hhmmm. Maybe a muffler with the word "bomb" as part of the name was a clue. ;)

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that's kinda funny, Satex. I can imagine you sitting on your duff swilling a lone star and feeling smug about your cute little quip. haha :dontcare:
Anyway it was an interesting project, but I'm moving on...I could use the same can and pack it with steel wool, but I really don't want much more noise than stock. If you're into the aftermarket sound, you really can't beat the price with these DIY cans. I think the Leo Vince GP routing is the next thing I want to explore, with the premuffler and the 360 degree pipe routing, maybe with a 600rr muffler or some other ebay castoff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts