Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I want to add handguards to my new (black) Versys and I was thinking of using the KTM guards. They come black or KTM orange. I also am going to do a high fender conversion using a Polisport SM fender that is available in any color including KTM orange. You see where I am heading ,right? SO, what do you think my black V would look like with orange hand guards, orange high fender, and orange reflective wheel rings??? Or should I just do black? Thanks,

·
Registered
374 Posts
Go with the Orange, it will make it different than all the rest.

Be sure and post some pics when it is all done.

Todd

·
Registered
121 Posts
IMO, you need to go further with the orange to carry the look. I think the orange should continue toward the rear or it will look like an afterthought. I like the orange/black combo, just balance it out...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
IMO, you need to go further with the orange to carry the look. I think the orange should continue toward the rear or it will loo like an afterthought. I like the orange/black combo, just balance it out...
I agree with eastflorida, once you get started adding some orange I am sure you will be able to determin what else might be needed to give it balance. Hope to see some pictures of your progress.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Geez, the katoom guys take all the orange off and put black plastic on them. :D

I like the polisport sm fender better than the rest. Was thinking of the same thing but definitely would be black.

If you're going to actually use the hand guards, like dump it in the dirt, get the aluminum backbone ones. I'll be getting the barkbusters from TT even though I prefer Cycras. I like the spacer setup and I think they fit better based on all the reports.

Rim strips are fugly. :teetertooter:

Post some pics for sure.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Geez, the katoom guys take all the orange off and put black plastic on them. :D

I like the polisport sm fender better than the rest. Was thinking of the same thing but definitely would be black.

If you're going to actually use the hand guards, like dump it in the dirt, get the aluminum backbone ones. I'll be getting the barkbusters from TT even though I prefer Cycras. I like the spacer setup and I think they fit better based on all the reports.

Rim strips are fugly. :teetertooter:

Post some pics for sure.
Thanks for your opinion.
To be honest I really like the SW Motech hand guards way better than the KTM units but to get them across the pond will be about $160.00 The Barkbuster Storms are also nice @$135.00. Looking more for wind/cold protection than crash protection. My XR is for the dirt.

·
Premium Member
7,912 Posts
Personally like the KTM orange colour and best to add some strips on the black V. Will make it stand out.

Post some pictures when done and :goodluck:

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
FYI....Kawasaki now has hand guards made specifically for our bike....or at least the 2011's.

Check the Kawasaki Germany site. (Italy and Spain also has theses models) ( if you speak any of these languages I bet you could try ordering from one of their dealers!)
http://www.kawasaki.eu/ is the Kawasaki EU portal site. it's in engish, no google translation required
( pics show both black and the new red)

Two different models of "Versys" are offered there and the 'Touring' model comes with hand-guards....with The "Kawasaki" name molded into the face of the guard.

I only mention this because since they come on the bike there probably isn't any modding or fabricating required to make them work on our USA versions.
Don't know pricing and it may take a phone call or two ( I personally love the thrill of the chase and I bet a call to Kawi USA customer service might just do the trick)......and hey, direct fitment has to be better than fabrication or "universal" fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I likey. Looks like they bolt right onto the existing bar ends. Let us know if you find a source, I would order a set.

Product pic from that site:

EDIT: Sorry Carl, I just noticed you had attached the same pic.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I just hung up with Kawasaki USA, they are just down the street from me here in CA. Nice guy in customer service, had the new 2011 parts diagrams....NOTHING for any of the touring parts in the catalog. And the new model info is out on their site and there is not mention of those models either. He was pretty sure it's a European option we're not going to see here.

Anyway, if someone wants to call Europe, or KAWI International, maybe we can get a source going over there.

BTW, can someone post the name of the oem part source for mail order? They were a good discount source of genuine parts.
I used to use bike bandit but I am so done with those people - never again.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I just hung up with Kawasaki USA, they are just down the street from me here in CA. Nice guy in customer service, had the new 2011 parts diagrams....NOTHING for any of the touring parts in the catalog. And the new model info is out on their site and there is not mention of those models either. He was pretty sure it's a European option we're not going to see here.

Anyway, if someone wants to call Europe, or KAWI International, maybe we can get a source going over there.

BTW, can someone post the name of the oem part source for mail order? They were a good discount source of genuine parts.
I used to use bike bandit but I am so done with those people - never again.
Thanks!
:DHa ha ha ....I just hung up too.....gonna have to go direct to a European source.
Anyone out there speak Spanish or Italian or German????!!!!!
http://www.kawasaki.eu/ is the Kawasaki european portal site.....no translation required.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Just checked and it seems that the 'city' and 'touring' models are not offered in any english speaking countries......D0'H !!!!

Any multi-lingual Versys riders out there?

·
Registered
939 Posts
:dgi:

They did that with the high gel seat as well, which is an option I would have considered if it was available on this side of the pond.

Why they do this is beyond me...if you make parts for a bike, make them available where you sell the darn thing.

Dave C

·
Registered
4 Posts
I speak spanish but I haven't been able to find a way to order any accessories from any of the sites in spain.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I like the black/orange color scheme, but please don't deliberately make it into a wannabe complete with decals just so you can get dopey people in cages to ask you what kind of "new" KTM that is. Taste is much more than a good taco, and Class is also more than just 30 other students and a teacher.

Be careful with the orange, I've done two bikes in black/orange scheme (not V's) and it's really easy to overdo it and make it look like a Hot Wheels toy. In other words, just because you can get a part or trim item in orange, it doesn't mean you should necessarily use it.

Good Luck!

V-Zee

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I like the black/orange color scheme, but please don't deliberately make it into a wannabe complete with decals just so you can get dopey people in cages to ask you what kind of "new" KTM that is. Taste is much more than a good taco, and Class is also more than just 30 other students and a teacher.

Be careful with the orange, I've done two bikes in black/orange scheme (not V's) and it's really easy to overdo it and make it look like a Hot Wheels toy. In other words, just because you can get a part or trim item in orange, it doesn't mean you should necessarily use it.

Good Luck!

V-Zee
No, I had no intention to do that. Was just think of making it stand out a little from the rest. Thought about it all day and I can't do it. Ordered a black fender and will order the black Barkbuster Storm handguards soon.

:thanx:

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I received a reply from Kawasaki Uk in regards to the Kawasaki genuine accessory hand guards:
Here's the letter and ordering info followed by part numbers and pricing(including current exchange rates:

Dear Mr Blair,

Thank you for your email.

The hand guards that you have highlighted are available within the UK as genuine accessories. I have attached a link from the KMUK website that details the Versys accessories and their part numbers.

http://www.kawasaki.co.uk/product.asp?Id=340E09F2116

Please contact one of the following UK dealerships who offer an international mail order service for further assistance.

Corby Kawasaki Centre Ltd
Courier Road
Phoenix Parkway
Corby
Northamptonshire
NN17 5BA
Phone:-01536 401010
[email protected]
http://www.corbykawasaki.co.uk

Cradley Heath Motorcycles
St Anne’s Road
Cradley Heath
West Midlands
B64 5BJ
Phone:- 01384 633455
[email protected]
http://www.cradleykawasaki.co.uk/index.php

Cornwall Kawasaki Centre
Lanner
Redruth,
Cornwall
TR16 6AS
England
Tel: 01209 821115
[email protected]
http://www.cornwallkawasaki.co.uk

Kind regards,
Customer Service Group
Tel- 01628 856750
Kawasaki Motors UK

The Kawasaki handguards are equipped with an aluminum bar for the strongest protection available.
(Only for Versys 2010 model onwards)

Hand guard brackets (Requires shells to be purchased separately) / 217HGS0007 £ 74.95.....$118.01 a pair
Hand guard shells black / 217HGS0008 £ 21.95......$34.56 a pair.
Hand guard shells yellow / 217HGS0009 £ 21.95.....$34.56 a pair.

Pricing is competitive with barkbusters which range up to $145 dollars US plus shipping. (per "twistedthrottle.com").
Plus you get hand guards with the 'Kawi" name molded into the face.:thumb:
Maybe a group buy can save on shipping costs?

Good luck everyone.
OK, I'll shut up now:D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Shipping is not cheap from UK. I figure $35-$50.

That makes for some pretty expensive handguards, logo or no.
Guess mine will get Barkbusters. ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts