Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2017 V650
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum, in my middle years, have not ridden a motorcycle in many years, early twenties. I have signed up to take motorcycle safety course at a local Harley-Davidson dealership, not interested in HD. I current hobby is bicycling and as I am getting older I am interested in motorcycles to ride more miles at less effort and see more. There is a local bike shop that has great deal on 2017 Versys 650 and a local selling 2017 Versys X300 with some extras like top box, and side boxes all Kawasaki accessories both are great prices but the price isn't as important. I am new to motorcycling and should I go with the 300cc as safer to learn on and probably have to sell and upgrade down the road or jump straight to the 650? I rode the x300 around a little tonight and its a nice bike but what do I know, they all seem nice. Appreciate any sage advice.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I am new to this forum, in my middle years, have not ridden a motorcycle in many years, early twenties. I have signed up to take motorcycle safety course at a local Harley-Davidson dealership, not interested in HD. I current hobby is bicycling and as I am getting older I am interested in motorcycles to ride more miles at less effort and see more. There is a local bike shop that has great deal on 2017 Versys 650 and a local selling 2017 Versys X300 with some extras like top box, and side boxes all Kawasaki accessories both are great prices but the price isn't as important. I am new to motorcycling and should I go with the 300cc as safer to learn on and probably have to sell and upgrade down the road or jump straight to the 650? I rode the x300 around a little tonight and its a nice bike but what do I know, they all seem nice. Appreciate any sage advice.
Welcome. As an avid cyclist you are ahead of the game. You have balance, cornering skill, and situational awareness. You can ride just as slow on a 650 as you can on a 300. It really depends on what type of riding you want to do. It isn't what bike that matters as much as what is between your ears. Take the course. Get the proficient motorcycling books by David Hough, then decide what bike is for you.

·
Registered
215 Posts
You've never been stuck behind slow Harley's holding up traffic and refusing to pull over? seems to happen all the time and always when the road is about to get fun.
Yeah, uh, a super sarcastic and negative post is not a very nice welcome to a new member.

·
Registered
2017 V650
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome. As an avid cyclist you are ahead of the game. You have balance, cornering skill, and situational awareness. You can ride just as slow on a 650 as you can on a 300. It really depends on what type of riding you want to do. It isn't what bike that matters as much as what is between your ears. Take the course. Get the proficient motorcycling books by David Hough, then decide what bike is for you.
Thanks this is excellent advise.

·
Registered
'17 Versys 650
10 Posts
I bought the 650 as my first bike ever, and it's been absolutely fantastic. More than enough power to be a thrilling ride, and predictable enough to not be scary to a noobie.

·
Premium Member
7,939 Posts
Welcome aboard and go for the X300 and upgrade later to higher CC if you are still for biking. Be safe.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Welcome aboard and go for the X300 and upgrade later to higher CC if you are still for biking. Be safe.
Why is that your recommendation?

Where do most rider mistake accidents occur?

Parking lot drops from grabbing front brake while handlebars are turned.
Going into a curve too fast.
Following too closely and then grabbing too much brake.

All those can happen on any size bike.

The only potential rider induced wreck on a more powerful bike is the panic full throttle which just means a higher speed wreck.

If he were not mature and had no bicycle experience, I too would recommend the 300, or better yet a 250 dual sport since they take drops in stride.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yeah, uh, a super sarcastic and negative post is not a very nice welcome to a new member.
There was zero sarcasm OR negativity towards the OP, how did you come to that? It was a humorous poke at the Harley rider stereotype. 🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
215 Posts
There was zero sarcasm OR negativity towards the OP, how did you come to that? It was a humorous poke at the Harley rider stereotype. 🤷‍♀️
Oh gotcha. You never know with internet posts - hard to convey stuff like that

·
Registered
202 Posts
So, why don't you poke fun at other rider stereotypes?
Because the OP mentioned Harley. If you followed from the first post, he mentioned taking a safety class at a Harley dealership. I was making a joke, I'm not sure why you are so bent on purposely blowing this out of proportion. You don't like Harley jokes, we get it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm another cyclist who became a motorcyclist. I've been riding motorcycles about 17 years. My first motorcycle was a Honda Shadow Spirit 750. As a cyclist, I found it an easy, but challenging, first motorcycle. I rode that sucker for 10 years. The Versys 650 is my third bike. I love it. I think the seat height might be the only challenge you face, but being a cyclist will be helpful with regard to your ability to balance and will help you to quickly adjust to it and feel comfortable. The bike you start with -- 300X or 650 -- depends on your comfort level and the kind of riding you want to do. It really is different for everyone. So, take the course and see how you feel on the low-speed exercises on a bike that isn't yours. ;) Use that as your measuring tape to see what you want to start out with. Remember, your first bike isn't your last bike. If you start on a 300X and develop your skills quickly, you can always move up.

·
Registered
66 Posts
After many years of riding a big bike I changed to the x300. No regrets! The fun of riding is back. I even take the bike for the short rides.

Even riding with the big boys is no problem.

·
Super Moderator
19,913 Posts
WELCOME aboard!

FWIW - I began riding in '63, on a Triumph 650, followed by ANOTHER Triumph 650, then I got into 'off-roading' on a Yamaha DT360, then a Yam TT500 as well as a Yam XS750 street-bike, then I 'tried' a tiddler - a 125cc Sachs Hercules enduro (which altho a great bike - I HATED IT because you had to shift gears every 50' [it SEEMED (n)], so I got a Can-Am 400 Qualifier. From then - EVERYTHING was 500 or 650cc, except for a Bandit 1200S...!

:cool:

(y)(y)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts