Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I always run high beam to be more visible. Cars are not looking for motorcycles so the brighter the better...unless you enjoy crashing into a 5000 pound car.
I added additional bright running lights on a couple of bikes.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Could you please post a link? I ask because I use a headlight modulator on my high beam and ... always run with both beams ON during daytime riding. The objective is conspicuity, contrast, etc.
Here is one video:
. But this one is more about riding with high beams in the dark. It's similar during the day. You have to figure, when people look to pull out, few look very long to see what's actually coming. Most glance up from their cell phones just long enough to see if it might be clear. And this is specifically for two side by side lights.

·
Super Moderator
18,962 Posts
I run on LOW beam, but I have added TWO lights below, and to each side to make a 'light-triangle' (much like a train engine has) to make me MORE visible, night AND day! Here's some pics of what I did.

DSC09845 copy by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

P6061867 2 copy by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Brighter is not always better (my opinion).
When a bike is coming toward me with high beam ON, I cannot look at it, so I avoid looking in its direction (even during the day).
The negative? If the bike changes direction in front of me, I cannot see it.

I personally think light needs to be responsibly added on the bike, and NOT to blind the drivers. Too many riders use the high beam always ON....
Daylight running lights (that are made specially NOT to blind), Hi-viz helmet, Hi-viz gear, headlight modulator (if legal and needed) and careful riding is much better.

·
Registered
82 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
You still have the stock halogens as the main headlight? why not change to LEDs?
I can't answer for FastEddie, but the reason I don't go to LED is because with heatsink on LED's you can no longer use the rubber seals that go around the bulbs. And I ride in all conditions and don't want water in my headlights.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Be aware, at idle if using the OEM lights, you will discharge the battery, using high beam, my SafeGo LED conversion I have gained enough watts to be able to run both, even at idle, but I have LED city lights, led plate light, in fact my bike is 100% LED now.
Hello,
How difficult was it to install the LEDs into your stock headlight bucket, in terms of closing the wire latch? Is the headlamp still waterproof, after the installation? Do you like the pattern the low beam throws, for visibility on the edge of the road?
Thanks,
Will
2008 Versys

·
Registered
302 Posts
...the reason I don't go to LED is because with heatsink on LED's you can no longer use the rubber seals that go around the bulbs. And I ride in all conditions and don't want water in my headlights.
It’s okay to be wrong. The rubber boots can be used, they just have to be modified. I actually ride in all conditions and on all roads, and no water or dust has entered the headlights in 3 years and 50000km.

·
Registered
268 Posts
It’s okay to be wrong. The rubber boots can be used, they just have to be modified. I actually ride in all conditions and on all roads, and no water or dust has entered the headlights in 3 years and 50000km.
Thanks for letting me know I'm wrong, it's "appreciated". :rolleyes: I just remember reading in several places that on the 15+ 650s you can't really get a good seal with LED bulbs even with modifying the covers. So I went with that. Plus I've seen so many posts that at least on he 15+, the LED beam is scattered everywhere since the housings weren't made for them. So while it may be brighter to people coming toward you, they don't really help much for you to see in the dark. It may be different on the pre 2015s.

·
Super Moderator
18,962 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks for letting me know I'm wrong, it's "appreciated". :rolleyes: I just remember reading in several places that on the 15+ 650s you can't really get a good seal with LED bulbs even with modifying the covers. So I went with that. Plus I've seen so many posts that at least on he 15+, the LED beam is scattered everywhere since the housings weren't made for them. So while it may be brighter to people coming toward you, they don't really help much for you to see in the dark. It may be different on the pre 2015s.
This is my answer to a question by Rotten Ronnie here:

Hello Ronnie,

I have a 2019 new V650 and was fed up with the poor headlights - bulb + reflector. There is nothing that can be done about the reflector so I changed the stock halogen bulbs to LEDs, both for low and high beam.

The work is a bit tricky as it involves cutting a small hole in the rubber boot to make way for the bulb with its finned heatsink and the exhaust fan behind it. Then cupping it with a silicone cake mould that has small holes poked into it at the bottom to vent the warm air pulled out by the fan from the heatsink.

I am very happy with the modification, despite the reflectors lacking all round.

In your case, your older model bike has an almost perfect arrangement with the near circular high and low beam. The LED I fitted will make a really big difference.

Some tips:
1. Orient the bulb, within the connecting flange, with the LED elements firing horizontally and not vertically else the reflector cannot focus the beam correctly.
2. Again, orient the bulb so that the power wire is at 6 o clock position so that the rubber boot and later, the cake mould fit in a way that water does not enter the contraption from the top.
3. Manoeuvre the retaining clip such that it goes around the base, thru two cooling fins at its very base and seats itself on the connection flange.
4. You might need to align the azimuth and elevation to adjust for the new beam dispersion.

I have enclosed the Amazon India link to the bulb, plus some fotos of the work needed on the bike. And while the fairing is as such out, why not replace the stock city bulbs with 0.5W LED bulbs. They are straight plug and play.

What a bloody pain to make as small change as just changing a headlight bulb.

@james75

I have ridden in India's torrential monsoon with this setup and I assure you that not one drop of water has entered the cups. Also, if, as I have written above, the LED bulb is aligned correctly, its elements behave like the filaments of a normal bulb. This enables the reflector to behave correctly. Yes, the reflector design per se is more for style than substance and is definitely a step down from the earlier bike. Trust me; I do not write without reasonable experience.

@fasteddiecopeman

Just try this on your old bike and see the difference. That wonderful near-circular reflector is made for LED bulbs.

Link to LED main light bulbs:
AUTOBAHN LED R6 Customized CSP 70W 12000lm 6000K white Headlight bulb (12V,35W,2 bulbs) (H7): Amazon.in: Car & Motorbike

Link to LED city light bulbs:
Osram Retrofit 2780CW-02B0 LED Bulb (12V, 0.5W, 2 Bulbs): Amazon.in: Car & Motorbike

Some images of the work:

21 - 31 of 31 Posts