Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,new here brand new bike. Is just one of the headlight supposed to be operational during riding? When I turn on the high beam both are operational.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi,new here brand new bike. Is just one of the headlight supposed to be operational during riding? When I turn on the high beam both are operational.
Hola, it is normal 1 light are low beam and work all time, other light are high beam.
When you turn high beam ON they both work

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx, I was thinking of just riding with both headlights on since they're the same brightness. Does anyone else do this?

·
Premium Member
16,111 Posts
Thx, I was thinking of just riding with both headlights on since they're the same brightness. Does anyone else do this?

:welcome: Some do I Don't....

·
Registered
178 Posts
I use high beam only at night and when there are no incoming traffic. At day time only low beam, no need for high beam if you ask me. (I notice high beam even in day time on many cars.)
They are same brightness, but low beam illuminates lets say 30 meters in front of you, but high beam light can iluminate 100 meter, and than you blind incoming traffic, specialy at night.

If you are worried about blinding incoming traffic just adjust lights like this and you will be OK.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
There are kits that will light both sides at half power for daylight driving & switch to full power when you hit the high beams.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Yes, I really don't like the bikes that run with High beam ON all the time, just to be visible.
I installed bi-xenon projectors so I have 2 low beam that can run all the time, both left and right, and double high-beam when needed.
With the right adjustment and cut-off.

For visibility I added LED angel eyes and LED strips.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,595 Posts

Normal, but strange indeed. Probably a money saving thing. My Concours had both lights illuminated all the time, high or low beam.

My '11 Versys had the stacked headlight so it didn't look odd to have the highbeam light out when just on low beam.

Not a fan of the offset lights on bikes. Something about symmetry I guess.

The reflector at the back of the light housing determines how far the lights show down the road, and the cutoff for low beam so it doesn't blind oncoming traffic.

·
Premium Member
9,060 Posts
Be aware, at idle if using the OEM lights, you will discharge the battery, using high beam, my SafeGo LED conversion I have gained enough watts to be able to run both, even at idle, but I have LED city lights, led plate light, in fact my bike is 100% LED now.

·
Registered
278 Posts
There have been studies that show that running high beams during the day can actually be more dangerous. Since the high beams create two lights side by side, it can make a person ahead perceive that it's a car with the two headlights, and they appear further away than they actually are. This causing the person to possibly pull out in front of you because of perception of you being a car further away. I'm not explaining it very good, but look it up.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
There have been studies that show that running high beams during the day can actually be more dangerous. Since the high beams create two lights side by side, it can make a person ahead perceive that it's a car with the two headlights, and they appear further away than they actually are. This causing the person to possibly pull out in front of you because of perception of you being a car further away. I'm not explaining it very good, but look it up.
Could you please post a link? I ask because I use a headlight modulator on my high beam and ... always run with both beams ON during daytime riding. The objective is conspicuity, contrast, etc.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a Kisan Electronics - pathBlazer P115W-H7 (headlight modulator) hooked up behind my high beam bulb. It has an external daylight sensor. It's 50 State legal.

During the daylight, if I have the high beam switch turned on, the high beam headlight bulb strobes to get the cager's attention. The unit is programmable.

At night, it functions as your standard high beam headlight.

Product page:
https://kisantech.com/p115w-h7.html

Legal page:
https://kisantech.com/regulations.html

·
Premium Member
9,060 Posts
Look Mom Christmas tree

I am pretty sure you would know this isn't a car coming at you but you may freeze as it could be a space ship coming at you. I posted my barkbuster setup on the UK forum, a guy posted a Christmas tree lit up, thought my light setup was a joke. No point in uploading photos and text on how it all works when I get a response like that.

Note the running white electronically switch off when the signal light is energized , the UK also condemned the China LED , best to check where 90% are made, look up Shindengen Electronics https://www.shindengen.com/
I have a Kisan Electronics - pathBlazer P115W-H7 (headlight modulator) hooked up behind my high beam bulb. It has an external daylight sensor. It's 50 State legal.

During the daylight, if I have the high beam switch turned on, the high beam headlight bulb strobes to get the cager's attention. The unit is programmable.

Product page:

Legal page:
More wiring we will go, more wiring we will go, high ho , dam , it never ends>:)

:thanx: for posting

·
Registered
101 Posts
More wiring we will go, more wiring we will go, high ho , dam , it never ends>:)

:thanx: for posting
It's the easiest thing to install.

I did not have to take off a single body panel or cowling panel to install the pathBlazer. You can install the unit from underneath the cowling or from the top between the handlebar and dash panel gap. You can take off the center panel under the windscreen to make the install easier on the GEN3.

IIRC No tools needed. I just used my hands to unplug the high beam connector. Actually you might need a knife to cut a hole into the high beam bulb rubber surround for wiring access to the high beam bulb. I cut a small slit on the 6 o'clock position of the rubber surround to keep rain water from going into the back of the high beam bulb.

• Unplug factory plug to the back of the H7 high beam bulb.
  • Plug pathBlazer into the H7 high beam bulb.
  • Plug factory high beam connector to the pathBlazer
  • Route Daylight sensor and they want you to zip tie it to cabling going to handlebar. I drilled a small (1/4"?) hole onto the dash that gets exposure to daylight and is not shaded by the dash cowling and surface mounted the day light sensor into the dash hole. They include the surface mount hardware.
  • pathBlazer does not require any power, it's powered by the high beam factory harness.

BTW - I ordered the LED version, even though it still also works with the factory bulbs.

LED unit is actually the same as the non-LED model, it's just preprogrammed before shipping to work with LED bulbs. For an extra $10 USD, your just paying them to program it for you.

LED model will work with the factory halogen bulb. You can program it to run either way, it's just that for some users programming the pathBlazer is too complicated for them. It's a matter of turning this switch on and turning the ignition key on/off several times to program the unit, one way or the other.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I added the Skene high beam controller to my bike. It runs the high beam at around 10%. Increases visibility without blinding oncoming drivers. It also gives the bike a balanced look. I also added the Photon Blasters as running lights on the front of the bike. They are very bright with very minimal current draw.

https://www.skenelights.com

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Kisan pathBlazer P115W-H7

Product page:

Legal page:

That same unit has been installed on mine since 2016. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
9,060 Posts
It's the easiest thing to install.

I did not have to take off a single body panel or cowling panel to install the pathBlazer. You can install the unit from underneath the cowling or from the top between the handlebar and dash panel gap. You can take off the center panel under the windscreen to make the install easier on the GEN3.

IIRC No tools needed. I just used my hands to unplug the high beam connector. Actually you might need a knife to cut a hole into the high beam bulb rubber surround for wiring access to the high beam bulb. I cut a small slit on the 6 o'clock position of the rubber surround to keep rain water from going into the back of the high beam bulb.

• Unplug factory plug to the back of the H7 high beam bulb.
  • Plug pathBlazer into the H7 high beam bulb.
  • Plug factory high beam connector to the pathBlazer
  • Route Daylight sensor and they want you to zip tie it to cabling going to handlebar. I drilled a small (1/4"?) hole onto the dash that gets exposure to daylight and is not shaded by the dash cowling and surface mounted the day light sensor into the dash hole. They include the surface mount hardware.
  • pathBlazer does not require any power, it's powered by the high beam factory harness.

BTW - I ordered the LED version, even though it still also works with the factory bulbs.

LED unit is actually the same as the non-LED model, it's just preprogrammed before shipping to work with LED bulbs. For an extra $10 USD, your just paying them to program it for you.

LED model will work with the factory halogen bulb. You can program it to run either way, it's just that for some users programming the pathBlazer is too complicated for them. It's a matter of turning this switch on and turning the ignition key on/off several times to program the unit, one way or the other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wfG6YRzSIs&feature=emb_logo
Do you have the installation manual, if that is the case, it should be noted in the $10 price addition. I am not sure where that would get inserted, I have the SafeGo LED driver , if before the driver I think that could cause problems and after the driver the fan may not work right. I like the idea, I think I have some room left>:)

Looking at my wiring, I would be afraid of driver damage , one thing, not removing the headlight assembly and don't wish to cut into the SafeGo wire connection, would be interested in someone that has done this with SafeGo
Just a view of the driver and quick connect.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Really? I don't mean to doubt you but was under the impression that the sensitivity adjustments were only used to set the daylight sensitivity to match the available light at the time you perform it.
In other words, how dark will it get before the unit stops modulating. If you try to adjust it to modulate "in a very dark setting" (i.e.: "beyond the DOT specified limits"), "the setting will revert back to the default level".

Note: I have used the P75W headlight modulator with the factory bulbs. It performed as expected. Later on, after having installed H7 LEDs, instead of modulating, the unit started flashing ON and OFF very quickly. The solution was to install the P115W-H7. From then on it started modulating properly again and has performed flawlessly. since then (2016).

·
Super Moderator
19,006 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,060 Posts
Really? I don't mean to doubt you but was under the impression that the sensitivity adjustments were only used to set the daylight sensitivity to match the available light at the time you perform it.
In other words, how dark will it get before the unit stops modulating. If you try to adjust it to modulate "in a very dark setting" (i.e.: "beyond the DOT specified limits"), "the setting will revert back to the default level".

Note: I have used the P75W headlight modulator with the factory bulbs. It performed as expected. Later on, after having installed H7 LEDs, instead of modulating, the unit started flashing ON and OFF very quickly. The solution was to install the P115W-H7. From then on it started modulating properly again and has performed flawlessly. since then (2016).
May need to shoot you a line, I can't see it working on the SafeGo .

1 - 20 of 31 Posts