Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i'm new to the Versys world, just got a beautiful 2018 Versys 650, like all Versys it has the snatchy on/off throttle

I also currently own a 2014 Vstrom 1000 that has the same problem, what i did is i located the Gear Position Sensor connector and shorted the red and black wires to fool the ECU so it always uses the Neutral map, what gave me this idea is one time i had the bike on it's center stand and experimenting the throttle/rpm control in all gears

All gears has extremely sensible throttle that jumped straight to 4000rpm to slightest throttle input and had snatchy excessive engine braking, exept neutral

riding with this mod on the Vstrom was like another bike, before i always had to use the clutch in city, after no need for clutch as the throttle is so smooth now

Anyway, this is a Versys forum i know, so in the next few days i will try the same mods on my new Versys, i will begin by shorting the clutch switch first , as it uses a different map when the clutch is pulled, if that doesn't work , will try the neutral map mod and report results

I did try the same with the Versys with the rear wheel lifted, i was using steady throttle at 2500 rpm in first gear then without moving the throttle i put the bike in neutral and the rpm drops at 2000 rpm, putting back in first gear the rpm goes back to 2500 rpm, so it seems that the neutral map has more progressive throttle control

I may try the vaccum mod and tps adjutement as well, but now i'm very busy installing tons of accessories

Here's my Vstrom thread i'm anyone wants more detail

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Update, did adjust the TPS at 1.14v idle and 4.36v full throttle, specs is 1.05v-4.50v, i'm a little over specs for idle but the bike behave wonderfully, at first i thought that it was gutless at low revs but it was because i was used to my Vstrom 1000, spent the day riding the Versys and i can use all available RPM band, low rpm is very smooth and fuel decel cut seems to be inexistent, i don't think i need flashing the ECU

If someone near Montréal want to compare with or without ECU flashed i'm willing to ( I primarily speak French )

most of the time fuel consumption was showing 4.0 l/100 km (58mpg) in country roads at 90 km/h (55mph), with passenger and side bags

Adjustement was made with hot engine

Font Parallel Number Document Rectangle

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Mathieu,

So, your adjusting makes throttle for ECU never fully off?
If I am right and TPS output is linear you added about 3%.
This is why fuel decel cut seems inexistent.

Did you notice some higher RPM on idle?
Do you have any problems when starting cold engine?

·
Administrator
193 Posts
Update, did adjust the TPS at 1.14v idle and 4.36v full throttle, specs is 1.05v-4.50v, i'm a little over specs for idle but the bike behave wonderfully, at first i thought that it was gutless at low revs but it was because i was used to my Vstrom 1000, spent the day riding the Versys and i can use all available RPM band, low rpm is very smooth and fuel decel cut seems to be inexistent, i don't think i need flashing the ECU

If someone near Montréal want to compare with or without ECU flashed i'm willing to ( I primarily speak French )

most of the time fuel consumption was showing 4.0 l/100 km (58mpg) in country roads at 90 km/h (55mph), with passenger and side bags

Adjustement was made with hot engine

View attachment 184226
No promises-I will contact a friend that had the ECU flashed and before had the booster plug-similar to what you are trying to do.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hi Mathieu,

So, your adjusting makes throttle for ECU never fully off?
If I am right and TPS output is linear you added about 3%.
This is why fuel decel cut seems inexistent.

Did you notice some higher RPM on idle?
Do you have any problems when starting cold engine?
If i'm right adjusting the TPS slightly over the idle limit would in fact fool the ECU thinking that the throttle is never fully closed and also ritchen the entire rpm range

In my yesterday ride, throttle was always super smooth when letting off or giving back some , also i can use pratically any rpm and even cruise in 2nd gear at 2k rpm in city without any jerk if i want to

One thing i didn't mention is that i slightly turned the secondary TPS clockwise otherwise it would made some weird glitching sounds when turning on the ignition

The TPS is the bottom grey one

The secondary TPS is the upper black one

To adjust i've insert a needle behind the positive yellow/red wire, with multimeter and clamps wires, then the negative to the battery negative

Also you better connect a charger to your battery so the readings remains constant

If you unplug the TPS connector while turning ON ignition you will have an engine code and will have to ride at least 3 times over something like 20km to clear it

In my opinion buying a Booster Plug is a waste of money when you can do the same adjusting the TPS more precisely

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive tire Personal luxury car

·
Premium Member
10,021 Posts
Go to post 84-been there done that

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Go to post 84-been there done that
Yes i saw it, this is on a 2015 Versys, mine is a 2018, i've read that they had different ECU's from 2018 , anyone can confirm ?

If so the results could probably be different from the 2015

1 - 10 of 10 Posts