Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
As someone who follows competitive sailing I notice New Zealand pretty much dominates the sport. Every team in this year's Volvo Round the World Ocean Race has a significant number of Kiwis and I think something like 25% of the skippers are Kiwis. Even the Chinese entry has more Kiwis than Chinese. Similar scenario with the America's Cup and usually the Olympics. What's your secret?

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
. What's your secret?
We live on a island nation, most towns/cities are near the coast, Auckland our biggest city with 1.4 million ( NZ total pop 4.4 million) is called the city of sails because of the amount of boats there. Most kiwis have has somthing to do with boats or water at some stage in their life.

We are a proud little nation who are very proud of our high acheivers such as winning america's cup twice, climbing MT Everest first, spliting the atom, Burt Munro and just down the road from me is a momument to a Richard Pearse who claimed to fly before Wright brothers but this was never proven. The little tin pop airport 3 km from me is called Richard Pearse as he was born here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Pearse

1 - 5 of 5 Posts