Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saying 'HI' , I'm on this forum to read up on the Versys . I am thinking of getting one to go along with my 99 Concours . I ride in all kinds of weather , even light snow , so I'm thinking of getting one since its a bit lighter than my current bike, I was considering getting a KLR but I'm not really into offroad riding even though I find riding on fire roads and other unimproved roads to scenic locations . I've noticed that some people don't think a Versys would do very well off road but there riders who do .

·
Premium Member
16,197 Posts
:welcome:

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I put about 100,000 miles on a KLR, mostly on paved roads with the occassional dirt road and a few trails. The KLR is definately not a trail bike. The Versys will handle any dirt roads that the KLR should be on, 'specially with different tires. Everything about the Versys is better than the KLR, brakes, suspension, etc. Both get about the same gas mileage. The Versys is a tad heaver and has slightly less range. The Versys is much smoother.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
The Versys can handle any gravel road you would be willing to take the Concours on, or any road or trail you would be willing to drive a Honda Civic on. Sure you can explore rougher terrain, but you are not going to do so at the speeds you would on a KTM.

You can find articles where guys have ridden Ultra Classics to places where only the craziest riders would go, but that doesn't change the fact that it is a street bike.

I could comfortably ride my '08 KLR 650 with aftermarket suspension at double the speeds I dare ride the Versys when exploring gravel roads.

If you love your Concours and are used to working with carbureted bikes, the KLR might be better choice for you. The '08 and newer KLRs are more adventure bikes than dirt bikes. I replaced my Ninja 650 and KLR 650 with the Versys 650 because it does everything better than the Ninja but had the riding position of the KLR.

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Welcome, the versys is a road bike imho which can go on gravel roads but is still a funny looking road bike but us that own it love it, its also a lot of fun on a track and can be a real buzz to go around more high powered sports bikes on some corners as its a cornering machine, my wife calls the versys idiot proof as she says if she over cooks a corner it just goes around anyway unlike her old cruiser a suzuki c50 which you had to drive around a corner.

·
Registered
538 Posts
If you're mostly street riding with the occasional fire or logging road, the Versys will be better than the concourse off road, and it will handle it just fine.

I'm 99% street riding and have taken it on some gravel/dirt and it's not the bike, but the riding position that makes it more manageable on a gravel/dirt road. You just gotta take it easy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts