Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Excellent choice, and I even like the color - it's not brash and overstated. But it's not quite the riding season in Canada just yet is it? That will give you plenty of time to add accessories, and that's a good thing. Enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent choice, and I even like the color - it's not brash and overstated. But it's not quite the riding season in Canada just yet is it? That will give you plenty of time to add accessories, and that's a good thing. Enjoy your new ride.
...probably 2 months yet tell good riding weather. As for accessories, i've already got the peg lowering blocks waiting to go on. Nothing else needed. I'm really going to appreciate the stock hand guards and paniers!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Best color if you ask me.
You are first member here on forum if I am correct that I see that have same V650 in that color.
That is 2018 model if I am not wrong. At least in Europe that color was for 2018 model.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I am digging the color as well. Almost that (Dare I say) HD Green. Congrats!

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
...probably 2 months yet tell good riding weather. As for accessories, i've already got the peg lowering blocks waiting to go on. Nothing else needed. I'm really going to appreciate the stock hand guards and paniers!
I added a GPS and Ad More lighting LED strips in place of the pannier reflectors to my Versys. I don't get lost very often but now and then I become "temporarily disoriented." The GPS helps, and it lets me know when I have to concentrate on an upcoming navigation event. And I've been rear ended twice in my riding career so extra rear lighting was a worthwhile addition for my peace of mind. Amusingly, since adding it it's never proved its worth. It's sort of like adding an elephant repelling device - you can't really prove it doesn't work. 😄

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I added a GPS and Ad More lighting LED strips in place of the pannier reflectors to my Versys. I don't get lost very often but now and then I become "temporarily disoriented." The GPS helps, and it lets me know when I have to concentrate on an upcoming navigation event. And I've been rear ended twice in my riding career so extra rear lighting was a worthwhile addition for my peace of mind. Amusingly, since adding it it's never proved its worth. It's sort of like adding an elephant repelling device - you can't really prove it doesn't work. 😄
...being rear-ended is certainly one of the threats. I've noticed that even brightly painted bikes are difficult to see, esp from the rear, so i wear one of those yellow vests over my jacket.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How about engine bars and auxiliary "driving" lights. There are even OEM ones?

With two months to go, you obviously don't live in BC?
...i've never quite talked myself into engine bars/crash bars. In Canadian dollars they are rediculously expensive. I don't like the look of some of them. I'm not convinced of their efficacy. And one use said they were in the way when he wants to do maintenance. The wind screen will remain as is or i will remove it altogether. In my experience, interfering with wind flow is a frustrating, expensive and futile endeavour. As for those aux driving lights, i do like the looks of them, but i never drive at night. If i had to, i'd get them. The seat is the only thing i may tinker with, either raising the front or getting a local upholsterer to re-do the padding & shape. I have a Honda CB500X with a seat that is worse, and i've tolerated it for six years, but tolerating is not a word one should have to use in conjunction with "motorcycle".

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How about engine bars and auxiliary "driving" lights. There are even OEM ones?

With two months to go, you obviously don't live in BC?
....wish i was in BC. With its mild temps & beautiful curving mountain roads, that's a bikers world over there. I'm on the Alberta prairies, flat & featureless, where 40mph winds are normal winds & temps are always 20-30d colder, and consistent good riding weather doesn't arrive until mid June. I don't ride in rain or strong wind or with frozen fingers if i don't have too. Occasionally we may get a few nice days in April, but May (strangely enough) is usually worse than April. June brings in some hot weather, but one year it was so bad in June i only got in 3 riding days that month. Yeah, the prairies are another planet. You have to be crazy to buy a bike out here, but that has never stopped me. I've had dozens over the years. It gives you something hopeful to think about over the 7 month winters.

·
Registered
95 Posts
As for those aux driving lights, i do like the looks of them, but i never drive at night. If i had to, i'd get them.
I don't know anyone who rides any distance at night. My mates that have them use them for being seen. So cages don't pull unexpectedly out of side roads. Being seen from behind is another problem.

I'm on the Alberta prairies, flat & featureless,
I've spent some time there. Drive 1 hour out of Edmonton and that is exactly where you are. 1 hour out of Edmonton.:p

·
Registered
133 Posts
...being rear-ended is certainly one of the threats. I've noticed that even brightly painted bikes are difficult to see, esp from the rear, so i wear one of those yellow vests over my jacket.
Brake light modulator....really improves being seen

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't know anyone who rides any distance at night. My mates that have them use them for being seen. So cages don't pull unexpectedly out of side roads. Being seen from behind is another problem.

I've spent some time there. Drive 1 hour out of Edmonton and that is exactly where you are. 1 hour out of Edmonton.:p
...yes, this problem of being seen is a puzzling one. Would take a psychologist to figure it out, and then some. I've had people look right at me, or through me, in broad daylight and still pull out. I used to think that the bike itself would make a different. You know, maybe orange paint would help. Even with the lamps-on policy, they still don't see you. I myself have noticed, when driving a car, that a bike, even seen full on from the side, does not stand out well. The side of the tank is the largest colour source. And that's small at 10 or 20 yards.
I think the mind is more impressed with the shape of the human form than the bike shape, so people may notice a rider rather than his bike... which is why i always wear one of those yellow vests (traffic workers vest). My worst experiences were when i owned a Honda Forza 300 Scooter. Those are pretty big machines, but i was getting paranoid riding it because NOBODY recognized it as anything. Even other riders. Don't know why, they look like a regular plastic coated modern bike to me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
There has been a lot of research on why car drivers do not see bikes. All sorts of reasons but the one thing that might help is lateral movement as you approach a junction on your side. Apparently the human eye is more likely to pick you up. Bike speed is very hard to judge though so they might still pull out on you. The only way to ride is as though everyone else is actively trying to kill you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts