Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very serious about buying a Tow-Pac trike kit for my 2017 Versys 650. Has anyone had exierence with that company?

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I don't have any riding experience but a friend had a Tow-Pac kit installed on his Suzuki maxi-scooter and ended up not liking it at all. I didn't understand, until we watched the installation, that the conversion actually results in a four wheel vehicle. The "trike" wheels act as outriggers, or as he called them training wheels. He never felt comfortable with it and sold the entire outfit after several months. However, that doesn't mean the company didn't provide good service or was anything other than helpful to my friend.

Beyond that, I'm among those who believe that the trike's extra wheels are at the wrong end of the machine. I much favor the Can Am Spyder or "reverse trike" as some call it. It's designed from the ground up as a three wheel machine and is much more stable than a standard trike, at least the ones I've ridden. And Can Am has expanded their market considerably by introducing their attractively priced Ryker models in both 600cc and 900cc versions. Spoiler alert: we currently own two Spyders and have logged many miles aboard them. We also have two traditional motorcycles and enjoy them as well.

Regarding trikes, and the overall safety and stability or having two wheels at the back, I remember the ill-fated original Honda three wheel ATV whose instability resulted in a number of law suits, and the venerable English Reliant Robin three wheel car once popular because it was cheap and because it was taxed at the motorcycle rate. Despite being technically a car, it was underpowered and would tip over at the drop of a hat.

Having said all this, based on my friend's experience, Tow-Pac seem to be a respectable and responsive company.

·
Super Moderator
19,395 Posts
...Regarding trikes, and the overall safety and stability or having two wheels at the back, I remember the ill-fated original Honda three wheel ATV whose instability resulted in a number of law suits, and the venerable English Reliant Robin three wheel car once popular because it was cheap and because it was taxed at the motorcycle rate. Despite being technically a car, it was underpowered and would tip over at the drop of a hat....
I'm hoping that I never need a "trike", and as well as the above comments that killed the Honda three-wheelers due massive product liability, I understand that the H-D 'trikes' have "spit" quite few riders off, onto their heads, when that front wheel 'tucks under'.

(n)(n)

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I'm hoping that I never need a "trike", and as well as the above comments that killed the Honda three-wheelers due massive product liability, I understand that the H-D 'trikes' have "spit" quite few riders off, onto their heads, when that front wheel 'tucks under'.

(n)(n)
Yes, and that's not to mention that H-D trikes, with any luggage capacity at all, begin at $35,000 and can go as high as $49,000, without adding any extras.
If you ever need a trike, the Spyder F-3 is capable and sporty and the Ryker 900 Rally Edition is off road capable and an absolute blast to ride.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I bought a Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 with a Tow-Pac installed. I bought it for the bike, and not the trike kit. I did ride it several times before I took the kit off, and was really dissatisfied at the performance. Honestly, it scared me to ride it.

The tension on the outrigger wheels is critical to being able to ride it, at all. If you don’t have enough tension on the outriggers, the bikes lean to the outside of the turn. Plus steering in the direction of the turn, only adds to the lean in the wrong direction. It‘s the opposite of how countersteering works.

Now comes the problem of having too much tension. If you adjust to a higher tension, you effectively unload the pressure on the rear bike wheel. The outriggers will be holding the weight of the bike, causing rear wheel spin on uneven surfaces. You can’t drive on loose gravel or grass, if there’s too much tension, due to wheel spin.

Riding 2 up requires a different tension setting, due to sag at rear of bike.

For your 650, I’d suggest a sidecar instead of the Tow-Pac.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I've ridden HD Trikes and HD's with sidecars. Completely disappointed as they not only handle weird, but they completely take away the most satisfying part of riding a bike; the sensation of leaning and powering through through the turns. I'd rather drive a convertible. Maybe the Spyder or Ryker has found a away to maintain that feel.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The Tow-Pac is NOT a trike. It has training wheels that have independent suspension on each wheel. A trike won’t lean to the high side, unless it’s beginning to tip. The Tow-Pac leans to the outside of EVERY turn. The inside wheel comes off the ground quite frequently.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Go with a tilting motorworks kit.

Still leans in the corners and holds itself up at stops.

That is what I will do if I still want to ride and can't hold a bike up anymore.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I remember seeing an ad for landingear.com that has some sort of retractable wheels when you stop or are going slow. I have no experience with them nor do I know if they make one for the V3. It might be worth checking out depending upon your needs.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Its too bad the Yamaha Niken's front end doesn't lock when stopped, might have helped you out. I took one for an extended test ride and that is one very nice motorcycle. Absolute confidence in corners regardless of speed or lean angle.

·
Registered
330 Posts
1. a 3 wheeler is no longer a motorcycle. just the way it is, you will have to adjust.

2. the Spyder things are pretty good & may be the best choice. not too hot of rough roads or trails because there is always at least 1 wheel that will hit something & no way to avoid that

3. side car is pretty fun once you figure it out

4. a "leaner"... very scarce & would be my choice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts