Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I change the oil and filter on my 2018 about every 4000 kms. I have approx 24000 kms on it since new in June 2018.

I have consistently found that I have to add about 2,2 liters of Oil on every change, not the 1.8 liters that the manual says. That's almost a 1/2 liter more than the book.

I am meticulous about checking the level properly. I check it when cold or hot and it is in the same place in the window. Right at the top level mark. Bike is never overfilled and does not burn any oil between changes. I use Motul 10w-40 Mineral Oil and a hi-Flo Filter.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I change the oil and filter on my 2018 about every 4000 kms. I have approx 24000 kms on it since new in June 2018.

I have consistently found that I have to add about 2,2 liters of Oil on every change, not the 1.8 liters that the manual says. That's almost a 1/2 liter more than the book.

I am meticulous about checking the level properly. I check it when cold or hot and it is in the same place in the window. Right at the top level mark. Bike is never overfilled and does not burn any oil between changes. I use Motul 10w-40 Mineral Oil and a hi-Flo Filter.
2 quarts is the correct amount of oil. This will put you right between the lines on the sight gauge.

Before you shut the engine off after a ride be sure and let the engine idle for at least 1 minute. If you don't do this you may get a false oil reading showing the oil is low when it actually is at the proper level. This is due to the semi-dry sump motor.

Also do not check the level with the bike on a paddock stand. With the back wheel off the ground you will also get a lower reading on the sight gauge. Check the oil level with both wheels on the ground while balancing the bike it the upright position. You will notice the oil level changing as you lean the bike side to side.

Good luck and happy oiling.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I would guess it is the particular oil filter has slightly higher volume than the OEM filter.

As long as you are checking the oil properly (bike level and upright) then there should be no problem with the oil being anywhere within the lines on the sight glass.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup I check the Oil properly. Bike level on Two wheels. I always let the bike sit for a bit after shutting down before checking the level. In fact I rarely check it with the engine warm unless on the road. Normally I check when the bike is completely cooled down, ie before start up after sitting overnight.

I will keep an eye on it to see if this trend continues.

·
Administrator
8,303 Posts

Your 2.2 is the correct amount needed for Oil Change and it will sit slight higher on the center of the oil mark slight glass. This was discussed for Gen 1 way back . I still use 2.2 liters for my 09 and still runs good as new.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your 2.2 is the correct amount needed for Oil Change and it will sit slight higher on the center of the oil mark slight glass. This was discussed for Gen 1 way back . I still use 2.2 liters for my 09 and still runs good as new.
Ok Thanx. There is an error in the Manual then.

·
Super Moderator
20,588 Posts
I would guess it is the particular oil filter has slightly higher volume than the OEM filter.

As long as you are checking the oil properly (bike level and upright) then there should be no problem with the oil being anywhere within the lines on the sight glass.
Because the STATOR is oil-cooled, I would suggest you try to keep the oil-level close to the upper limit, particularly IF you're still running w/ the original SHUNT regulator.

:goodluck:

·
Super Moderator
20,588 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Howdy Steve - you're ENJOYING this, right...?
Just a part of being human for both of us.

Say "hey" to Mrs fasteddiecopeman for me.

Later.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts

As long as you are not losing significant amounts of oil between changes all is good. In this northern climate, I change my oil once a year and use synthetic. The synthetic is probably better for cold weather starts (it flows better in the cold for a given weight) but unnecessary for the number of miles I drive a year. 12K km is the recommended change interval in the service manual for non-synthetic oil.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Changed the oil and filter (Bosch 3300) yesterday on my '06. The filter is a standard size, oil was hot when drained.

I really took my time and leaned the bike from side to side- a lot more oil drains out that way.

It took 2.4 litres of fresh oil, filled to the top mark.

·
Super Moderator
20,588 Posts
Just a part of being human for both of us.

Say "hey" to Mrs fasteddiecopeman for me.

Later.
Steve - message from the "Missus":

.......Thanks for 'moving' me into the "fast" lane:wink2:.

·
Super Moderator
20,588 Posts

·
Registered
Vx300 Embrace the Revs!
247 Posts
Does your oil come in liters or quarts? I thought my 300 wasn’t taking enough oil. Then I realized I was adding quarts, .946 liter

1 - 20 of 25 Posts