Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a new 09 Versys about a month ago. The first day I owned the bike, the oil pressure warning light came with 45 miles on the bike. Pulled over and shut off engine. Started bike and light was off. Took bike back the the dealer and the dealer checked the sensor, oil pressure, cooling fan, etc, and found no problem. I had the dealer change the oil to 20W50 Castrol.

No problems for 500 miles then the light came on yesterday and I pulled over and shut off engine, light went off and did not come on for 100 miles. Called Dealer and was told that they would note the problem in their computer in case something came up later on. Has anybody else had this problem? Bike runs and sounds great. Any ideas on what could cause this problem and what I should do to fix it?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Probably a bad oil pressure sensor ... request that it be replaced ...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply - 20W-50 is a good oil to use here in Tucson AZ when the temps reach 110 degrees. According to the owners manual 20-50 is preferred when the temperature excceds 104 degrees

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oil level is between the two lines on the sight glass, although it's closer to the upper line.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I agree.

I bought a new 2003 Z1000 and had the exact same problem. I got about 1 mile from the dealer and the oil light came on. I returned and borrowed their service manual, read through it, and felt it to be the problem. They had another new Z1000 on the floor, and we swapped sensors...the problem was solved. (Yes, they warrantied the part and replaced it on the floor model.:)

It coulda been an air bubble obstructing the sensor, but I didn't want to chance it. The swap fixed it so my mind was at ease.

Probably a bad oil pressure sensor ... request that it be replaced ...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Understood, this oil is good for your bike, and the oil level is okay. I think also that an oil pressure sensor should be replaced.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll ask the dealer to replace the sensor when I bring the bile in for an oil change. Normally I change my own oil in this case, I'll let the dealer change it in case something goes wrong with the motor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Too much oil?

My oil light came on after I changed oil the first time. To get the oil level up to the upper mark in the sight glass I put 2 and a half quarts in witch proved to be too much oil. After 30 minutes the light came on. I drained about a half a quart and the light has never come on again. The oil may have foamed or there may be an over fill sen:goodluck:sor. No more than 2 quarts is all for me. 3000 mi. and I love this bike.

·
Registered
357 Posts
The oil light came on before and after the oil change. The oil was changed by the dealer. If it were my bike, I'd have the dealer replace the oil level sensor. That's where I'd start.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Once upon a time we had a low oil pressure reading on a race car during the final laps of pre-race practice... The lead mechanic concluded, “it must just be the gauge”... Two laps into the race the engine blew up!

I would have the dealer replace the oil pressure sensor IMMEDIATELY if just to take it out of the equation... and if it comes on again (and it can’t be traced to a wiring fault, etc.) I’d be thinking about getting an oil pressure gauge on the bike.

Seizing an engine in a car sucks — but seizing an engine on a bike can be fatal!

·
Premium Member
8,599 Posts
Agree seizing up on a bike is dangerous, seized up a TS 185 many moons ago on a straight bit of country road and it stopped very hard and quick, would hate to think of that happening on my V doing full noise through some good twistys.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the advice - I'm taking the bike to the dealer this Thursday for this issue and for an oil change. I've ridden the bike 200+ miles since the light came on and no problem. When I look at the sight glass with the engine running, I see oil circulating inside the engine. At this point I would guess that the sensor gave a false reading because there was metal chips or silicone inside the motor. The bike runs great and a lot of fun to ride. Saving up for hard side cases.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My warrantly is good for another 11 months. The bike comes with a 12 month warranty. The dealer told me that since the problem occured again and they could not find the problem, Kawasaki will cover any problem related to this issue as long as I own the motorcycle. I'm still going to ask them to replace the sensor.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Spoke with the dealer this morning and they agreed to replace the sensor

1 - 20 of 27 Posts