Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is pretty hot here and my bike seems to be making more noise than usual when at idle, probably due to the thinner oil!

When I got home after a 40 min trip in the unusual heat, I was too lazy to walk to mail box so I coasted over on the bike.

When idling on the side stand I could see the oil in the sight glass, say 1/2 full.

Question is should you see the oil? Would the oil pump not keep it moving? I ask because I really don't recall seeing oil in the window when idling, and I am getting a little panicky about the louder than norm rattling!

Semi synthetic, 10-W40

12,000Km

Thanks guys

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Hi Stevebee,

I remember seeing the sight glass empty when at idle on her side stand.
At rest or before startups in the morning, how's the sight glass like?

At rest, IMHO, anywhere between Full or min marks on the sight glass is okay.
If the sight glass is seen full, probably too much oil in there.

XXw-50 would serve better in warm weather.

:goodluck:

·
Registered
842 Posts
Hi STLee

Don't believe him when he talks about hot weather. :forgetit:

The local bureau of meteorology defines a heatwave for Vancouver as 3 consecutive days of 32C (not quite 90F).

Vancouver has NEVER had an official heat wave - the most has been two days of 32C or more.

The record high was July last year at 34.4C / 94F

I know a lot of places in the US and elsewhere get a lot hotter than that for weeks on end.

In Sydney (Aust) we used to hit 43.4C / 110F (usually accompanied by bushfires / wildfires).:badidea:

Cheers

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Big Aussie,

I believe I used the words 'unusual heat', because sitting in slow moving traffic my bike was running hot, as was I.

All I asked was it unusual for the oil window to appear full when idling. Maybe due to the 'unusual temp' my oil was thinner, which lets the oil settle easier in the window?

I agree it may not be the hottest here, but I thought it may be relevant to my question to mention the heat.

And as I said, I really do not remember seeing oil in the window at idle when the weather is back at its frigid norm.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Oil can normally be seen flowing behind view glass. Oil does expand when heated, raising the level... Which brand and type of semi-synthetic 10W-40 oil is it, and how many kilometers on it? How's your level on a cold rested engine?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Invader,

I don't recall the brand, but it was not the cheap oil from Canadian Tire!

It has about 2000Kms of use, and the sight glass is approx 3/4 full when bike is upright, with engine off.

I am not as concerned now, but I am still surprised on the amount shown in the window when idling.

Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts