Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i just bought a 2009 versys with 15,000 miles on it.
So after riding it a bit i decided to clean it.
I noticed that the front sprocket cover was very oily so i removed it and the whole area was full of greasy slimy mucky oil.
What could be the cause of this? Is it serious enough for me to go get it checked? Oil level hasnt dropped yet..
I added a picture of what it looks like after i cleaned it with about 4000 napkins, (i figured that spraying wd-40 into that area might not be wise).
Ill be greatful for any advice and if there is a better way to clean all that muck.
Thanks!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,147 Posts

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
clean it and check it in 1k im guessing like most its just chain gunk

Reactions: Lours_Polaire

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
So after spraying that area with wd-40 do i just clean it off with a rag or wash it with a hose?
Thanks!!
im a WD and paper rag or old sock user myself

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey,
Today i checked after a 30 min highway ride and the source of the leak it coming from a black hose connected to the airbox, breather??)
Theres another clear hose next to it which is hard as a rock and dented and totally dry of oil.
Should i take the air filter out and replace the leaking black breather hose?
Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
16,147 Posts
Looks like the air filter was over oiled....

·
Super Moderator
19,138 Posts
Get the clear tube "unkinked", clean the sprocket area, then "carry-on"!

Here's what my front-sprocket area on my '08 looked like at about 56K miles on its ORIGINAL chain, ONLY lubed w/ WD40, altho' I DID change that sprocket at about 29K and 55K miles....

Yes - IMHO it's just chain-lube 'fling' in there.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Is the engine oil overfilled, and is it due for replacement? Remove the airbox to clean air filter and inspect. Airbox drain hose must be plugged at the end to avoid ingesting dust and crap... There is also a short crankcase vent hose to the bottom of airbox.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The oil is exeactly in the middle.
I plan on removing the air housing on thursday and thoroughly cleaning it and maybe sealing the crankcase vent which is leaking about 3 drops of oil every ride.
Ill Replace the oil and filter too.
I was wondering if you also have leaks coming from that vent.

This is what the leak looks like, ill probably seal it with silicone rtv of some sort.

Ps. Its leaking from the top of the vent(where it goes into the air case)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got an 08' Versys as well. Just bought it with 49K miles. I did the oil, coolant, and replaced the air and oil filter...

Inside the air box was a bunch of goopy oil. This oil looked to me like engine oil, not from the filter being over oiled. Where is this oil coming from??

My air box also had a ton of oily grime outside on that short rubber drain hose. Now, my most recent find... and remember I just did a new oil change and made sure the entire area was clean and free of leaks, initially.

I have noticed oil which seems to be on the front engine face just above the oil filter. Is this oil coming from the same oil leak of the air box?? I'm sorry I don't have any picture.

Are these observations normal for a Versys? I hope this relates to and helps the original poster. Thanks!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts