Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Recently noticed small amount of oil/gunk exactly under side stand (under front sprocket). I cleaned front sprocket where was a lot of gunk piled up and hoped that was a problem.. Few days later noticed literally dot of oil in same spot (black and tick). I dont know what causes it. When I get to job and after 8 hours nothing is under the bike. Leave it over night, dot of oil under the side stand.. I also noticed that guy that was changing oil a month ago overfilled it (on side stand there is good level of oil on window, so when bike is upright there is much more oil, could this be a problem?) I plan to change oil myself in next few days..
Bike has 18000km and its from 2019, I guess front sprocket gasket should not be a problem?

·
Super Moderator
20,445 Posts
I also noticed that guy that was changing oil a month ago overfilled it (on side stand there is good level of oil on window, so when bike is upright there is much more oil, could this be a problem?)
PERSONALLY I would remove enough oil to get it DOWN to the MAX level.

·
Administrator
8,260 Posts
It could also be form excess oil from chain. A slight overfill on the oil level wont hurt and should not drip. Remove the front sprocket cover and see where the oil is leaking from.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Honestly Id say who cares. It burns enough oil anyways that you need to be checking it every few weeks IF you ride daily! I burn a quart every 5k miles with AMS oil!

·
Super Moderator
20,445 Posts
...It burns enough oil anyways that you need to be checking it every few weeks IF you ride daily! I burn a quart every 5k miles with AMS oil!
SOMETHING is wrong in YOUR ENGINE! The ONLY time I've EVER added oil to ANY of my three V650s between oil-changes was on my '08 when it had an oil-leak, and it has 95,626 MILES on it now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Honestly Id say who cares. It burns enough oil anyways that you need to be checking it every few weeks IF you ride daily! I burn a quart every 5k miles with AMS oil!
I have a Mark3 model year 2016, and the only times I have found engine oil not where it is supposed to be, is right after the times I have dropped the bike.
For example I made a small mistake when trying to "get of the line", the engine died on me and naturally it ended up on the side.
I know, I know, the bike pawned me like a noob. But sh!t like this happens some times when I am not careful.
The result was some oil seeped out from the valve cover. But it stopped after a while, and after a good cleaning / wash, it is back to nominal.

If you are experiencing oil burn, it would be advisable to check it out, in order to possibly prevent bigger issues down the road.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Can't say this is your issue, but I've seen a build-up of chain lube under sprocket covers or exhaust heat shields do something similar. It thins out when hot and drips.

Reactions: jaaklucas

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I changed oil anyway, but know when couple of you mention it, I would assume that problem was with chain lube... I did put a lot of chain lube last time when i cleaned it.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Applying your personal issue with your particular bike to the general Versys population demonstrates your frustration. Why not diagnose your problem, or trade the bike off if you are not happy with the current situation instead of ragging on the general Versys population?

·
Registered
21 Posts
SOMETHING is wrong in YOUR ENGINE! The ONLY time I've EVER added oil to ANY of my three V650s between oil-changes was on my '08 when it had an oil-leak, and it has 95,626 MILES on it now.

Nothing is wrong with my motor, here is the exact response I got back from Kawasaki,

Response By Email (Nate) (10/02/2020 03:57 PM)

Thank you for contacting Kawasaki. Oil consumption rates of up to 1 quart per 1000 miles is the industry standard. You are well within those factors. It is considered normal for any engine to consume some oil during use. Kawasaki recommends checking the oil level prior to riding the unit each day as part of the daily safety checks.

Thank you.

Customer By Service Web (Justin) (09/30/2020 03:46 PM)

I have a 2012 Versys 650 that I changed the oil about 5000 miles ago with Amsoil 10-40 full synthetic motorcycle oil and today added nearly a half a quart. There is no smoke from the exhaust or any leaks. Bike has a little over 10,100 miles on it and many times I have had it pinned on the highway, I ride pretty fast. I have read some oil consumption can be normal however reading the service manual for this bike I could not find that claim.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
many times I have had it pinned on the highway, I ride pretty fast. I have read some oil consumption can be normal however reading the service manual for this bike I could not find that claim.
Yep. Most of the Kawasaki bikes I have owned say to fill to the top line in the sight glass if you are racing. Which you are whether official or not. Pinned on the highway will have you running 115 mph. Why?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had similar on a Vstrom 650. It was the output shaft O-ring. It was not complicated to change. So unremarkable that I don't remember the details other than it was leaking and then I fixed it. It could just be chain loob mixed with road gunk, but if you are seeing an actual drop of black oil, that would be my bet as to the source of the leak.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Ive got 78,000 on my 2015 650 and am yet to experience any noticeable oil loss between changes. Good idea to check though when you can get the bike perfectly upright.

·
Super Moderator
20,445 Posts
I'm w/ jaaklucas - I've NEVER experienced the need to add oil between oil-changes (which I do each 5,000 miles or 8,000 kms) on ANY of my three V650s. The '15 Gen 3 V650 has 87,2xx kms, my '09 had 62,790 kms when it became an "insurance write-off", and my '08 Gen 1 has 95,626 MILES (153,895 kms). And all three have been..."Rode hard and put away WET!"

Just sayin'....

·
Registered
26 Posts
I changed oil anyway, but know when couple of you mention it, I would assume that problem was with chain lube... I did put a lot of chain lube last time when i cleaned it.
Now that you have changed the oil is the oil on the ground clean engine oil or still the black muck you seen before ?
If it is clean oil then yes you may have a leak if it is still black then more likely chain lube

Also my V has 70000 Km and does not burn any oil

·
Registered
792 Posts
The location would indicate chain lube gunk, first thing to check. Pull off the front sprocket cover and look for goop. If you use traditional chain lube there will be lots. Which attracts grit and makes a gooey mess which melts with heat. Also impedes the movement of the sidestand. Thats why some of us use a solvent spray cleaner like WD40(leaves a light coat of parrafin) or Teflon chain spray(leaves a light coating of teflon). Just spray the chain after every day ride, no mess.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts