Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hellow guys. it's time for a oil change. does any of you know what kind of oil is recommended for this babe. i know it's 10w-40. any kind that is recommended?

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
JASO MA certified 10W40 motorcycle oil... Are you in USA? Do you want synthetic oil? How much are you looking at spending on a quart/liter?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
whatever you think is the best for the V. i dont mind the price. all i need to know is brand and kind. which one do you use?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Here is AZ people tend to use 20w-50 more... the heat tends to require a little thicker oil...
I don't think you're going to find a good nor bad answer for your question...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm Chicago so it's not as hot as in AZ. what brand do you guys use?

·
Registered
451 Posts
amsoil.....look at the link at the top of the page

·
Registered
228 Posts
I use Mobil 1 or Rotella full synthetic, but I don't think you can go wrong on any major brand. As long as you have 1,500 miles on your bike you should make the switch to synthetic.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what do you guys think about Bel-Ray semi-synthetic oil?

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Try refering to JASO oil list attached.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836&page=2

Know Amsoil is an +1 oil but can't get it here.
Using Silkoline Pro 4 15w-50 because of the hot climate here. It +1 also.

IMHO, if using semi-syth, change every 3000km. If fully syth, I change it at the normal 6000 km interval.

Best Regards.

·
Registered
779 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Fully synthetic after 1500, Amsoil, Motul, just make sure it is M/C specific. I don't think you really need to change weights based on season for the modern motorcycle engine, but I guess you can if ya want, lots of people do. Maybe running across the Sahara during the Dakar I would change weights. Maybe.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Recycled fish oil from mom and pop sushi bars but only those that are on the north side of east-west streets or on the west side of of north-south streets. Don't even think about chain sushi bars (they are not really Japanese and therefore don't meet JASO MA, obviously) and only pick it up on Fridays. All other days the oil isn't as good.

:D

Gustavo

·
Registered
546 Posts
Don't go to synthetic or semi-synthetic until you're pretty sure the engine is broke in.
I've had good luck with Mobil 1 15W-50 car oil with all my other bikes, but might not use it in this one.
Kawasaki only recommends 10W-40 for temps up 104 degreesF. It exceeds that on occasion here in Texas during the summer, and I've ridden in the desert southwest in temps over 120degreesF. I'd only use 10W-40 if you're riding in temps below freezing. The 20W-50 is good down to 32degreesF.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Mobil 1 4T, fully synthetic, for bikes with oil immersed clutches.
I am sure the Mobil 1 car oil will be ok but I use the bike stuff.
I haven't had the Versys long enough to find out but on my previous bike I could extend the oil-change intervals by 2 times and the oil still came out cleaner than with normal at half the miles. I used to change at half the recommended interval with normal oil but I extended it to the recommended with Mobil 1.
Ted.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i went with semi-synthetic oil from bel-rays and new k&n filter. will see how it works. i have a little more than 5k miles so i think that it should be ok.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts