Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Q: What is the main reason guys run aftermarket oil filters vs. OEM? Are they trying to save a few $$ or are they trying to get better quality?

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
You can't get better filtering capacity than with an OEM oil filter... It's usually to save a few bucks, beside choice and availability.

·
Registered
63 Posts
For me its easy availability. I can order a filter online, wait for it to ship. I can drive to the kawi dealer, order a filter, wait for it to ship, drive there again and get it, or I can drive to wal-mart and pick up an appropriate filter and be done in 10 minutes.

I would also argue the statement that you cannot get better filtering than the OEM filter. Those are often just rebranded filters that are generally available, its not like some amazing extra amount of engineering went into them because they're OEM. If Kawi is like the other Japanese brands, the OEM filter is a rebranded Denso filter, and is on par with most other stuff out there.

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
Kawasaki OEM oil filter:

Here are some of the pictures taken after the dissect of the original Kawasaki Filter in Malaysia. Filter is courtesy of a 2009 Versys, after 10k km of usage. I had one Hack of a time hacking away with the hack saw :) to get to this point. Will check the breakage force on the spiral spring soon.

Picture shows the major components of the filter. 8-holed inlets bottom plate, relief valve on the filtering media assembly, and blue flexible rubber anti-drainback valve. UPDATED: Hole diameter is 5mm.

Close up shot on the relief valve, showing a spiral type spring. UPDATED: Relief Valve is 18 PSI.

The other end of the filter, showing how the relief valve looks like from the other side.

View on the inner side of the media with rectangular holes. The substrate is plastic with bubble-stone filtering media attached to it. No End Caps on these filters. The bubble stone media is hard as a bubble stone used in aquariums.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
For auto filters, it is easy to see what model in a brand will fit the V. My truck (08' Honda Ridgeline) and V use the same filters. Since they don't list bikes in the auto section I look up the truck.

My mower uses the same filter as a Prius...

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
For auto filters, it is easy to see what model in a brand will fit the V. My truck (08' Honda Ridgeline) and V use the same filters. Since they don't list bikes in the auto section I look up the truck.

My mower uses the same filter as a Prius...
Your mower is a Japanese hybrid?? :D:D

Wait. I just realized you can buy one filter and switch it back and forth between your mower and car! Very clever.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Your mower is a Japanese hybrid?? :D:D

Wait. I just realized you can buy one filter and switch it back and forth between your mower and car! Very clever.
When I need to change the oil in the mower, I just find a parked prius and "borrow" its oil filter. :D

·
Registered
943 Posts
Purlolator L14612.

Fits our Gold Wing, FJR, Versys, VTX1300, riding lawnmower, and darned-near every other Japanese motorcycle out there. Probably not Suzuki..... I think they have a different thread pitch.

WalMart sells them for $3.27 or you can get them at the auto parts store for $5.25

·
Registered
63 Posts
Purlolator L14612.

Fits our Gold Wing, FJR, Versys, VTX1300, riding lawnmower, and darned-near every other Japanese motorcycle out there. Probably not Suzuki..... I think they have a different thread pitch.

WalMart sells them for $3.27 or you can get them at the auto parts store for $5.25
Thats what im rockin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts