Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Nice to be here!

I'm about to hit 3,500 miles on my new 2015 Versys LT. She was last serviced by the dealer at 600 miles. Looking through the "oil window" at the side of the engine - the oil is pretty black... From the color of it - it needs changing - but the manual says I don't need to change the oil for at least another 4,000 miles...

Should I change the oil or stop worrying? Is it usual for the oil to be so dark within 3,500 of use?

thanks!

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
color is no way to judge your oil, viscosity and its anti friction quality , there really isnt any harm in changing your oil too soon you can do damage by NOT changing it when you should (IE X amount of miles and or X amount of time/heat cycles)

·
Registered
186 Posts
silviefox is correct...color is not indicator.
Hell, my KLR 650 turns black "looking" within a day of changing the oil.

However, no way in hell would I go that long on my motorcycles...I'm no expert so probably just wasting my money.
In 35 years of riding I don't think I ever cracked 3K before a change...

·
Premium Member
16,100 Posts
:welcome: I changed mine every 3000-3500 miles using full synthetic. It only takes 2 quarts or a pinch over so it's fairly inexpensive for oil changes. You can get a Bosch 3300 oil filter at the auto parts store and save a few bucks...

·
Registered
43 Posts

I'm about to hit 3,500 miles on my new 2015 Versys LT. She was last serviced by the dealer at 600 miles. Looking through the "oil window" at the side of the engine - the oil is pretty black... From the color of it - it needs changing - but the manual says I don't need to change the oil for at least another 4,000 miles...

Should I change the oil or stop worrying? Is it usual for the oil to be so dark within 3,500 of use?

thanks!
By just over 2000 miles I was on my 3rd oil change. [former race engine builder] FYI, mine is also a '15 1000LT. I usually go by smell.

First change at 620 miles. I also cut my 2nd filter open...nothing horrific in there thankfully.

Third change is now Silkolene 4T motorcycle oil.
There is a difference. Used the high end Purolator filter.
This oil will stay for a full 3000.

·
Registered
596 Posts
:welcome: I changed mine every 3000-3500 miles using full synthetic. It only takes 2 quarts or a pinch over so it's fairly inexpensive for oil changes. You can get a Bosch 3300 oil filter at the auto parts store and save a few bucks...
That's my timeframe as well, with full synthetic. Filter change every time. I've always used the stock filters, but there are other options. K&N makes a good filter.
That oil change interval has served me well over the past 30 years. :smile2:

·
Super Moderator
18,952 Posts

thanks!
Stop worrying, is my advice. Like others here, I change MORE often than the "book" says to (I use 5,000 miles// 8,000 kms, so IF my ODO has a number divisible by 5 [US], or 8 [Canada], I change oil and filter). At 7,550 kms right now, my '15 650 WILL have its FOURTH change in a few days, at 8,000.

Did the "Motoman" break-in riding home from the dealership then changed oil at 93 kms; again at 501 kms; then AGAIN at 1,003 kms to Mobil1 automobile 15w-50 synthetic which will go in AGAIN, at 8K.

:grin2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts