Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok....i got the old oil filter off but when i go to torque the new one on....the filter wrench slips around on the filter after i put the rachet onto the oil filter wrench....seems like the rachet stub pushes up against the filter....anyone else run into this ?

·
Registered
371 Posts
your new oil filter should be put on by hand only . Spin it on untill the gasket contacts the block then tighten it another 3/4 turn approx . Put it on to tight and you will have a bitch of a time getting it off .

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yeah, hand-tighten that puppy. Or you will come up with some funny new curse words during your next oil change !!

~ Wes

·
Registered
250 Posts
I can remember way-back-when trying to get an oil filter off that someone ( not me ) had used a wrench to put ON. Driving a screwdriver through the filter to get enough torque to remove it is a messy proposition...

·
Registered
642 Posts
The spec in the manual says that the filter should be on quite tight. I hate to dispute oxman's opinion, but I use a torque wrench to try to get the correct torque on the filter. When my filter "socket" slips, i usually call it good enough. I never get to the torque called out.

I then use a small strap wrench to get the filter off. It works every time - at least for me.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Manual says torque on the oil drain nut 22 ft-lbs.

Torque on the oil filter 13 ft-lbs.

Just did mine this afternoon.:thumb:

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,111 Posts
I like the filters with a nut on the end makes things so much simplier. Have always tightened by feel.

IMG_0120 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0123 by weljo2001, on Flickr

1 - 12 of 12 Posts