Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And NOT what you are thinking...I have the oil, filter BUT the dealer was out of the plug washer. Do you think I can get by with reusing the old one? I'd really like to get the first oil change done before I ride anymore. BUT don't want a driping mess either.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I have yet to change the washer on mine, or any of my vehicles ever.....No problems yet for me.:confused:

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
...me neither....don't see a reason to changed the washer and I have 18000 worry free, trouble free miles on my '09'.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oil change done, didn't leak all over the place either! I try to take as few of chances with motors as I can. I never understood why people will change oil but not the filter. I have a buddy who swears by Amsol but while he's dumping $80.00 worth of their best in his motor he pnly changes the filter every other time. The filter only cost $8.00.

That little washer cost $.80 for the KLR and about two bucks for the Versys, cheap for peace of mind.

BTW I let the oil settle in the pan a bit and carefully poured it in a gallon jug to recycle and as I was doing so I could see flecks of metal...felt like I was panning for gold. Of course when I pulled the filter it drooled all over the header!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just did my first oil change at 348 mi and reused the seal ring. No leaks. I think I've only ever replace one in my life and it was on one of my old FJ's

Filled the engine with Rotella 5w40 synthetic and the tranny shifts like butter:thumb:

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been using Rotella 15-40 in the KLR from the 2nd change on...other than one time. A friend thought I was getting TOO cheap and bought me 3 Qts of Castrol. I used it and then when back the Rotella. I mean why not? I change it every 2500 miles. Never seen a motor that could shear oil down as fast as a KLR.

I have 25000 miles on it now and still think it's one of the greatest bikes I've ever owned. Slow...yep but a little tank. That slow is why I bought the Versys.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The factory break-in oil that came out of the bike was clean, but it poured faster than water. I know most manufacturers use a light weight oil in new engines, but man was that ever rediculous.

The next oil change at 1K miles will use the same 5W40 synthetic Rotella and then switch up to 10W40 synthetic there after.

·
Premium Member
16,105 Posts
I bought extra washers but the original still works fine.

·
Premium Member
16,105 Posts
Oil change done, didn't leak all over the place either! I try to take as few of chances with motors as I can. I never understood why people will change oil but not the filter. I have a buddy who swears by Amsol but while he's dumping $80.00 worth of their best in his motor he pnly changes the filter every other time. The filter only cost $8.00.

That little washer cost $.80 for the KLR and about two bucks for the Versys, cheap for peace of mind.

BTW I let the oil settle in the pan a bit and carefully poured it in a gallon jug to recycle and as I was doing so I could see flecks of metal...felt like I was panning for gold. Of course when I pulled the filter it drooled all over the header!

Put tin foil over the headers. It'll solve the problem

·
Super Moderator
18,968 Posts
I bought some copper 1/2" washers (at Napa or O'Reilly), and anneal it after removing the oil, so I can re-use it.

To anneal, heat it RED HOT with a propane torch, then dunk it directly into water. Annealing re-softens the copper so it will seal perfectly again.

Personally, I would NOT re-use an aluminum washer unless I had no other alternative.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I bought some copper 1/2" washers (at Napa or O'Reilly), and anneal it after removing the oil, so I can re-use it.

To anneal, heat it RED HOT with a propane torch, then dunk it directly into water. Annealing re-softens the copper so it will seal perfectly again.

Personally, I would NOT re-use an aluminum washer unless I had no other alternative.
You may want to review your heat treating procedure.
Normally you heat then cool quickly to harden, cool slowly to soften
but keep in mind I'm easily confused

1 - 15 of 15 Posts