Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
281 - 300 of 335 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
So, what exactly is the issue with this filter? :confused: What ever the issue is, is it just suspected that it might cause a problem? Or has it actually caused a problem in the Versys 650?

Mine seems to be working fine on my 2008 V, after a few thousand miles. :thumb:
I was going to ask the same question. I keep looking at that last pic but don't understand the problem. :confused:

·
Registered
219 Posts
RESPONSE #1: go back to the range of post #79 in this thread, for more info. This report seemed to be a nonissue until a Versys owner posted an issue this week. Based on his photo, I'm speculating that the filter on the left appeared to "possibly" have an area creating contact with the end of the male threads {and with the reddish-pink plastic/rubber material at the end of the filter internal threads}. Without having the filter to physically examine, it's just a theory as to why he can't tighten the filter adequately to seal and prevent an oil filter leak. That is the issue as I understand it-- potential leak at seal from inability to properly tighten.

Yep, it seems that the concave feature may cause other bikes to have mounting problems. While the concave feature (itself) doesn't affect Versys, the further most part of the threads (interior) may be the issue; there appears to be a noticable difference. See my observations noted in the photo (submitted by kballowe) below. Whether my hunch is right or wrong, sounds like this newer filter needs to be avoided.

As usual...Invader is right

Thanks for posting kballowe.
So, what exactly is the issue with this filter?
What ever the issue is, is it just suspected that it might cause a problem? Or has it actually caused a problem in the Versys 650?

Mine seems to be working fine on my 2008 V, after a few thousand miles.
So, what exactly is the issue with this filter?
What ever the issue is, is it just suspected that it might cause a problem? Or has it actually caused a problem in the Versys 650?

Mine seems to be working fine on my 2008 V, after a few thousand miles.

I was going to ask the same question. I keep looking at that last pic but don't understand the problem.
RESPONSE #2: If yours isn't leaking, that's good. It's been challenging, at best, to grasp a full understanding of this report and if the Versys was affected.

·
Registered
441 Posts
My newest purchase of a Bosch 3323 did indeed show the metal surface to be convex instead of concave like the last 3323 I took off. After bwwoodard did some research it appreared the V's don't have a problem because there is not a nut at the top of the male part (I know that sounds dirty) like on some other bikes. I proceeded with the newer 3323 and have had no problem. The size of that red part shown in the pics throws another question mark in to what may be causing the problem. I am going to follow Invader (always a good idea) and get some of those Denso filters.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
My newest purchase of a Bosch 3323 did indeed show the metal surface to be convex instead of concave like the last 3323 I took off. After bwwoodard did some research it appreared the V's don't have a problem because there is not a nut at the top of the male part (I know that sounds dirty) like on some other bikes. I proceeded with the newer 3323 and have had no problem.
This tells us that the filter does not bottom out on the engine case and therefore allows the rubber gasket to seal correctly.

The size of that red part shown in the pics throws another question mark in to what may be causing the problem.
That is the anti-drainback valve.

IMHO this will not be a problem. On this page: Purolator mentions:

1. Changing the base plate from a concave to a convex design (as it shows in your photo);
2. Slightly increasing the height of the gasket.

IMHO the same was applied to the Bosch 3323. I will therefore try it on mine at the next oil change.

I am going to follow Invader (always a good idea) and get some of those Denso filters.
I agree. You can't go wrong if you do that. :thumb:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Changed the oil & filter on mine today (picked it up this week, used with 1500 miles on it).
I had an extra paint strainer from painting a hood for my Camaro, so I drained the oil through it.
Worked pretty well. There were a couple black flecks in the strainer, but I also dropped the drain plug bolt into it, so I don't know if it came from the inside or outside... Looked pretty clean.
If your local auto parts store sells automotive paint, they may give you a couple strainers. If not, you can buy a box of 100 @ Harbor Freight for $5.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I had just purchased three Bosch 3300 filters when I read the original reports last year about the design change causing leaks on the V. I avoided using them for the stated reasons, but today I thought that I should try fitting one as I needed to change the oil.

It fit perfectly and does not leak on my '08 Versys.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I had just purchased three Bosch 3300 filters when I read the original reports last year about the design change causing leaks on the V. I avoided using them for the stated reasons, but today I thought that I should try fitting one as I needed to change the oil.

It fit perfectly and does not leak on my '08 Versys.
Excellent!
Please come back with more feedback after having it on your Versys for a few hundred kilometers. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Please come back with more feedback after having it on your Versys for a few hundred kilometers.
I will certainly do that, but it might be a while before I can ride again. Although I do have heated Gerbing gear, I no longer have the appetite (or the body) to ride in cold weather. I ride for pleasure now, not for bragging rights.

Ten years ago I rode at least once every month of the year for 2 years in a row and that was in years with some bad weather. I remember when I was seventeen, riding my YDS-3 Yamaha home from a party in a January snowstorm. Insanity! and I made it home unscathed. Glory days indeed.

I will update on the Bosch 3300 later, but it certainly appears to seal well after an oil change and having the engine idle until hot. I do hope it works because I have two more of them. I don't surmise any problems from the reports that I have read and from my personal experience. It is a very well constructed oil filter that I have trusted for many years.

But then again, ever since the infamous bad Fram filter early internet days expose, has anybody here reported an engine failure due to a faulty oil filter? And how would you even know if it were so?

·
Premium Member
11,232 Posts
Merged with existing sticky "Oil Change"

New is DIY Oil Change/ Oil Filter

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I will certainly do that, but it might be a while before I can ride again. Although I do have heated Gerbing gear, I no longer have the appetite (or the body) to ride in cold weather. I ride for pleasure now, not for bragging rights.
We're on the same page Smiley! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
11,232 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,790 Posts
Every now and then someone will ask how we check the oil on our 650s, so I mention what I do - hold the V upright after shutting it down, then I look down and I can see the level.

HOWEVER, on my cross-Canada ride I also noticed that the oil-level remains visible in the 'window' for awhile after you put the bike onto its side-stand, as evidenced by a "line" of bubbles as well as the color of the oil, so ANOTHER method of checking it.

Attachments

·
Registered
309 Posts
WARNING-- I don't want to start a oil thread --I tried search no help-I have one question-I use Mobil 1 in my 2016 for the way it improves shifting but after about 3,000 miles it back to being hard shifting-has anyone found a better oil for improved shifting that will last longer than Mobil 1-don't want this to go sideways but would like an answer-but if going to start and bunch of crap please delete it:laugh:

·
Registered
149 Posts
WARNING-- I don't want to start a oil thread --I tried search no help-I have one question-I use Mobil 1 in my 2016 for the way it improves shifting but after about 3,000 miles it back to being hard shifting-has anyone found a better oil for improved shifting that will last longer than Mobil 1-don't want this to go sideways but would like an answer-but if going to start and bunch of crap please delete it:laugh:

I use Motul 7100 ..and I've never experienced any concerns whatsoever .
I change it every 3000 miles.

·
Premium Member
16,349 Posts
I've used Mobil 1 a few years ago. Then went to Amsoil for a few years and with the V-1K i ran out of Amsoil and switched over to Motul 7100 and change the oil at 5500-6000 miles. The bike shifts like butter...

281 - 300 of 335 Posts