Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I reading the user manual right? It seems to suggest changing oil at 12000 kms after the first 1000km service. This doesn't make sense, does it?

·
Registered
687 Posts
It's every year or 12k kms, you're reading that correctly. Synthetic oil is up to the task but lots of people like to change their oil more frequently. I'm not one of them.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I believe the mileage on that first oil change is to get rid of the new engine crud. Once that is done the recommended cycle is all you need. I change mine more often, but not a lot more often. I do it to get rid of the crud suspended in the oil, not because the oil is worn out.

·
Registered
603 Posts
As an experiment, keep your old oil in a large flat plastic dish for a few weeks, then go back and check it. Over time, you'll find thick sludge forming in the bottom, even with oil that wasn't all that old when changed. It's just the by-products of running the engine. I'm sure the oil was lubricating fine (no engine problems) but I don't like the idea of sludge forming in the crankcase, if the bike sits for awhile. So, I change every 2500 miles, or three months, whichever comes first. Just another opinion, and my preference.

·
Registered
250 Posts
You have read correct. but I still plan on changing mine at the most every 2-3k miles.

its only 2 quarts! which I love.

oh and I went with the Kawasaki semi synthetic oil. the motor seems to love it and shifts are WAY easier and smoother

1 - 5 of 5 Posts