Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Versys 650
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone... When I took my cover off this morning, I noticed what appears to be oil on my front caliper, rotor, and even on the fender. When I got the bike inspected a few days ago, the mechanic noted the oil on the front fender, but I thought nothing about it, as I assumed it was just something I had dripped or it was residue coming off my new bike cover. Now? I'm not so sure. It's only on the left side, which leads me to believe it could possibly be a fork seal? I've never owned a motorcycle before, and never had any experience with forks. I can't feel any difference in the suspension, or braking so far. Can anyone tell me what is happening or what I should be doing about it? Thank you so much.

Pics of Leak

·
Administrator
8,167 Posts
Two possible scenario for oil to be at the front dish/fender.
One, the front suspension is leaking or Two, brake oil which is not likely. Check front suspension for oil leak and if its leaking it can be fixed easily and wont cost much.

·
Registered
608 Posts
If it is the fork seal, you can make a version of this from a plastic milk carton. I've used one to clean out little bits of dirt. It's stopped the fork seal from leaking and has been trouble free for probably more than 10k miles.

·
Registered
2009 Versys 650
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Two possible scenario for oil to be at the front dish/fender.
One, the front suspension is leaking or Two, brake oil which is not likely. Check front suspension for oil leak and if its leaking it can be fixed easily and wont cost much.

Thank you for this.

·
Registered
2009 Versys 650
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it is the fork seal, you can make a version of this from a plastic milk carton. I've used one to clean out little bits of dirt. It's stopped the fork seal from leaking and has been trouble free for probably more than 10k miles.
I had someone else share this with me, and to be honest.. I'm a bit wary of poking around in there. It looks like the outermost seal/scraper/dust protector is kind of damaged from UV exposure. I don't really want to chance it falling apart. I didn't see any significant amount of anything after I cleaned the area and went back the next morning. Maybe it was a one-off? I will continue to monitor it though. Thanks everyone for the info!

·
Registered
978 Posts
I just recently cured a leak from my V 1000. people rush too much to change the seals before they try to clean them. it is important to put some silicon grease under the dust seal. I use Seal Doctor, which is easier to use than seal mate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts