Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I’ve had my 2018 for about a month now, bought brand new. Did the first oil change about 700 miles ago. When I got home tonight I decided to stand the bike up and take a look at the sight glass just to see how it was looking and I found this.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
That happened to me too! I FREAKED! Cream colored oil is supposed to be a sign of water in the oil. But mine went away. See what it looks like after things cool down.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
How long was it run before you checked it??
My oil sometimes looks like that if the weather is just right & I don't run it to full operating temp for a while...condensation.
Too soon to panic, got your towel?

·
Super Moderator
18,983 Posts
It was a 40 mile ride home, and my coolant is visibly lower than the last time I checked it. Just snapped these.
AFTER a 40 mile ride, ALL condensation should be GONE! Looks to me as tho' you have water in your oil.

:goodluck:

·
Registered
440 Posts
my guess would be the water pump oil seal is leaking. Look at the bottom of the water pump housing. Find the weep hole and see if there are signs of oil or even coolant leaking.
If this is the problem, It should be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
with that much contamination in the oil I'd would have thought they'd send a recovery vehicle. :surprise:
I trailered it there.

any news?
Not yet. Was hoping to at least get a call with the prognosis today, but no such luck. I don’t even know if they’ve started work on it yet.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
I trailered it there.

Not yet. Was hoping to at least get a call with the prognosis today, but no such luck. I don’t even know if they’ve started work on it yet.
The 40 mile was the correct answer, many of us have a thermobob , makes a huge difference if you get snow in your area or ride down to 0'C. There may be more wrong than a oil pump seal leak. I would be more inclined that you have a head gasket leak, rare but it has happened to one member here on a 07.Keep us informed, FYI glad to see you called the dealer.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The 40 mile was the correct answer, many of us have a thermobob , makes a huge difference if you get snow in your area or ride down to 0'C. There may be more wrong than a oil pump seal leak. I would be more inclined that you have a head gasket leak, rare but it has happened to one member here on a 07.Keep us informed, FYI glad to see you called the dealer.
Thermobob? It’s very rarely ever quite that cold here at any hour that I’d be on the road.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Welcome From Canada

Thermobob? It’s very rarely ever quite that cold here at any hour that I’d be on the road.
notice the title, yes the land of ice and snow, 2 years ago I had a close one, it had been below 0'C overnight, when I started out it was 6'C and climbing, I was doing 80 KM/HR , coming around a bend in the road, with bush on both sides of the road, the first thing I saw was black ice, sun hadn't hit it as it was early morning, that was the longest 300 feet , being extremely careful not to do any sudden moves. Last December I took the Bike out with the new flash, around plus 3'C, a lot of wet road, as condensation was forming as it had been below zero for several days. If you ride below 14'C a thermobob will make a huge difference , especially for those doing short rides.

·
Super Moderator
18,983 Posts
I have run into the black ice in the shade riding AZ 191 just N of the Morency Mine, in Jan or Feb. I have a "Thermobob" in my AZ V650, and in my BC '15 V650.

GREAT addition - your engine gets to temp quicker, then maintains the temp w/out major fluctuations.

You can read MORE about it here:

http://www.watt-man.com/

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I’m really starting to wonder about the service dept at this dealer. I still hadn’t heard from them, so I called them when I got to work this afternoon. Come to find out they’re done with the bike. Not just that, but they say there’s nothing wrong with the bike or the oil that was in it.

·
Registered
744 Posts
So I’m really starting to wonder about the service dept at this dealer. I still hadn’t heard from them, so I called them when I got to work this afternoon. Come to find out they’re done with the bike. Not just that, but they say there’s nothing wrong with the bike or the oil that was in it.
what did they say about the color of the oil? when you get it back send a sample of the oil to blackstone labs and have them do an oil analysis.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Not a thing. I’m gonna have a good long talk with them when I pick the bike back up tomorrow.
Time to look for another dealer, no way that photo could be that far off in colour. That looked like cream, had another look after posting this. That is not normal, especially on a 40 mile ride, unless it was close to 4'C for the whole ride and you never reached 5000 RPM, 15 or more minutes at or above 5000 RPM in 6th gear is sufficient to burn off any water in the oil, it should be gold or almost black, not what you had in the photo.I would have taken a sample of that oil and had it analyzed. Check your rad reservoir level, see if they topped it up.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, just got the bike back from the dealer. Service guy was adamant that the oil looked like normal in the sight glass (they didn’t even drain it) and that all I might have seen is some aeration of the oil. He also maintained that the coolant was at a normal level.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts