Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a 3000 km ride from Calgary to Victoria and back. The Versys ran flawlessly the whole way. Checked the oil level and tire pressures once in a while but they never needed anything.

Nothing to do with the Versys, but the only down side was a nagging back ache between my shoulder blades. This would start up 2 or 3 hours into the days rides. I tried twisting and turning to try and stretch it while I rode as well a different riding positions but nothing seemed to help.

Has anyone else had this? I have a feeling that it is my out-of-shape 62 year old body that needs a tune up...can anyone suggest some strengthening exercises and/or stretches.

Thanks
Brian

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just got back from a 3000 km ride from Calgary to Victoria and back. The Versys ran flawlessly the whole way. Checked the oil level and tire pressures once in a while but they never needed anything.

Nothing to do with the Versys, but the only down side was a nagging back ache between my shoulder blades. This would start up 2 or 3 hours into the days rides. I tried twisting and turning to try and stretch it while I rode as well a different riding positions but nothing seemed to help.

Has anyone else had this? I have a feeling that it is my out-of-shape 62 year old body that needs a tune up...can anyone suggest some strengthening exercises and/or stretches.

Thanks
Brian
This happened to me when I fitted the SC Seat which raised me about 1" higher in the seat. Agony.

I refitted the OEM seat and an SW Motech 1" riser and am now very happy, even did a 300klm trip in comfort where a previous 150klm trip killed me.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Core exercises will help support your spine and reduce back pain. Swimming is good as well.

Back extensions can help relieve the pain - use your arms for support as you extend then fully relax when you lay down before extending again. x10 a few times a day

·
Premium Member
16,111 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
One thing I’ve found very helpful to fight off aches and pains in the back and shoulders while riding LD is a soft material back brace or support belt. I’m currently using Alpinestars Touring Kidney Belt, which has back support and a great comfort pad in the back (great in cold too!). What it does for me is help maintain a good riding posture over long periods, lack of which I think is the biggest contributing factor to the aches.

·
Premium Member
16,111 Posts
One thing I’ve found very helpful to fight off aches and pains in the back and shoulders while riding LD is a soft material back brace or support belt. I’m currently using Alpinestars Touring Kidney Belt, which has back support and a great comfort pad in the back (great in cold too!). What it does for me is help maintain a good riding posture over long periods, lack of which I think is the biggest contributing factor to the aches.

For longer trips i never leave home with out this.....http://www.koolbak.com/MotorcycleBelt/Kidney_Belt.html

·
Registered
190 Posts
Bar riser. I did 3", and am very happy. And my bike definitely feels more dirt bikey.

This is very common to daylong computer clickers. I call 'em the "computer neck geek muscles".

Rowing, and stretching your shoulder blades up and back while pulling your elbows together behind you can help.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank for all the comments. I never would have thought of bar risers but it definately would be worth a try. Those Speedy's anit-vibration bar rise look good...I think I will order some. Also the kidney belt...been meaning to get one of those.

For exercise, what exactly do you mean by back extensions? I have one of those roman benchs (I think they are called)...a 45º bench that you hook your legs on and lower and raise your upper body...is that what you mean?
I have it but have not used it for awhile.

BTW, For riding position I tend to keep my back straight and bend forward from the hips with my arms at a 90º angle. This seems to be best for my lower back which can also be touchy.

Thanks
Brian

1 - 12 of 12 Posts