Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Ditto.. My Kawa KLX250s will go anywhere with a deep plush suspension which makes the most difficult terrain a breeze. Its made for off road and feels like getting on a bicycle after any street oriented bike. Instead of fighting going through a technical area, you just blast through it.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I think you are probably on the right track there. Since you already have a street bike, why have another street bike that has dirt tires? Get it a dedicated dirt bike or at the very least a dual sport like you mentioned, you will have a lot better time (a potentially break a lot less parts) riding off road.
If you are going to be riding mostly dirt, personally, I would go for the smallest, lightest dual sport available. a 250 is a lot more fun than a 650 in tight woods.
4.5 hours of one-way transit miles run at mostly 80 cruise on the slab, camping off the bike with a full load out of gear, hundreds and hundreds of miles of gravel roads with some found in rough shape, water crossings large and small...get the idea of what those typical trips are all about? now think about that same trip on a little 250, been there on my WR250R, but i never once considered a repeat. sure, the little bike was ok once you got there, but the transit miles were an all day torture experience. did i mention that many of those rides are scheduled for fall, cooler temps and alot to see, but short days, start in the dark, and end in the dark. y'all going to run that 250 on the slab before sunrise or after dark, nope.

that's why you set up your Versys for all roads, all conditions...one moto, not two. i suppose i could trailer a 250, but my riding buddies are riders, not trailering buddies.

·
Registered
156 Posts
4.5 hours of one-way transit miles run at mostly 80 cruise on the slab,
now think about that same trip on a little 250, been there on my WR250R, but i never once considered a repeat. sure, the little bike was ok once you got there, but the transit miles were an all day torture experience.
Yeah, you definitely have a compromise there consider so much transit time. A small bore bike would be miserable but I don't even enjoy larger thumpers on the highway. Many years ago I used to commute on a Honda XL500 and then an XL600 with a few miles of the commute on the interstate and didn't enjoy it, I definitely wouldn't want to do it for hours at a time.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts