Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I went from a DRZ-400S, to a KLR650, to a KLX250S for off-road riding. IMO, you need to be physically strong and have exceptional skill to ride a heavy bike off-road. You might consider trading the versys for a dusl sport unless you are a former DC dirt racer looking for a challenge.
i grew up riding my dads hondamatic 450 road bike on street tires in the woods behind my house. besides, the versys is only 20lbs heavier than a klr 650, so with dirt tires, it should be fine.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
i grew up riding my dads hondamatic 450 road bike on street tires in the woods behind my house. besides, the versys is only 20lbs heavier than a klr 650, so with dirt tires, it should be fine.
Which is why I replaced the KLR with the KLX. Made trail riding much more enjoyable. But it looks like you know what you are getting into so keep us posted as you progress.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
just ordered a set of tkc80's for the versys! 120/90 for the front and 170/60 for the rear. i'll have to raise the front fender a bit to clear the new tire, but its within .4" of the vstrom front with a 19", so close enough for me! 😝 thanks for the inspiration guys!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
forgot to say, but the 120/90 is a tube type tire that i plan on running without a tube on the front. i've read that the only difference is the tube type will leak air out a bit vs a tubeless tire, so im thinking just run some sealant in the front tire and call it a day.

·
Super Moderator
20,411 Posts
Good luck! HOPE it works, 'cause getting a flat FLAT SUCKS!!!

I've converted tube-type rims (KLR650) to tubeless successfully.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
just ordered a set of tkc80's for the versys! 120/90 for the front and 170/60 for the rear. i'll have to raise the front fender a bit to clear the new tire, but its within .4" of the vstrom front with a 19", so close enough for me! 😝 thanks for the inspiration guys!
check for interference from the top of your raised fender to the underside of the bottom fork holder. at full travel, it can be inconvenient if your fender is the stop.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
check for interference from the top of your raised fender to the underside of the bottom fork holder. at full travel, it can be inconvenient if your fender is the stop.
thats why im going to wait till i get the new tire on the bike to raise the fender. should be safe around 1-1.25" higher?

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
thats why im going to wait till i get the new tire on the bike to raise the fender. should be safe around 1-1.25" higher?
too many variables to state a "safe" number, but you can check sag vs specified travel to give you an idea of what's left to work with when your new tire/wheel is back on the bike. clips or guides mounted to the underside of the holder should be removed/relocated. you can mock up your fender height easily with pairs of wooden blocks placed between tire and fender.

·
Premium Member
2015 650 Versys LT ABS
49 Posts
".... 120/90 for the front and 170/60 for the rear"
Please check how much taller the new Front tire is from OEM;
Use your fingers between the original tire and mudguards, do the same measurement method with the new one. That will as Dave Moss would say "...it tells you how the pitch/balance of the motorcycle changed".

You properly wonder why that matters, it matters because regularly ridden motobikes should be in balance, I mean neither being front or rear bias. However, that is not true for specific disciplines such as in racing (some prefer being front bias), Motocross, Enduro, trail riding.

Now if you like to use your Versys off-road 'ADV', traction is important, a rear bias is preferred with a fast (close) front rebound.
In getting a 90 front tire over a 60 OEM should provide you with an advantage for ADV; but please, ride first on a stretch that you know very well and test. Don't be afraid of making triple clamp changes (pressure fit) for geometry change of 5mm at a time in our case 650 Versys.

As always thank Dave Moss, suspension training and coaching sessions.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Please check how much taller the new Front tire is from OEM;
Use your fingers between the original tire and mudguards, do the same measurement method with the new one. That will as Dave Moss would say "...it tells you how the pitch/balance of the motorcycle changed".

You properly wounder why that matters, it matters because regularly ridden motobikes should be in balance, I mean neither being front or rear bias. However, that is not true for specific disciplines such as in racing (some prefer being front bias), Motocross, Enduro, trail riding.

Now if you like to use your Versys off-road 'ADV', traction is important, a rear bias is preferred with a fast (close) front rebound.
In getting a 90 front tire over a 60 OEM should provide you with an advantage for ADV; but please, ride first on a stretch that you know very well and test. Don't be afraid of making triple clamp changes (pressure fit) for geometry change of 5mm at a time in our case 650 Versys.

As always thank Dave Moss, suspension training and coaching sessions.
the new tire should be 1.89" taller than the stock tire according to this tire calculator .

·
Registered
317 Posts
Just wanna say I did a gravel road the other day (larger rocks, not pea gravel) on my stock '19 V650. Been riding for 15+ years but never on gravel on a "road" bike. Once I guess on a YZ225 but that was more of a dirt road. I took it carefully at first but then mustered up the courage to break the rear wheel loose with the throttle - was a ton of fun and I could see myself doing more like this in the future!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
just got the new tires in today! have to say, they look MEATY! going to be awesome!

·
Registered
361 Posts
I got a 2nd set of wheels for my TKCs. Ninja wheels fit right on but sometimes the rotors have to be changed. No aftermarket rotors for gen 3 as far as I know but I got lucky & scored from a low mile wreck. have 4 years on them now.

you want a bigger wheel? another way is a fork swap. not hard if you know how (its work, but not that hard)

if you really want an off roader fork swap might be a good plan. also, you need to dump every possible gram of weight, and the plastic is a liability.

my '15 rails the gravel with the TKCs. mild single track is good. I have an Ohlins shock and have re-valved my forks.there is a thread or two about that. way worth it to change valves & it costs maybe 30 bucks if things go well. 50 if you need a seal

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
got the tires swapped tonight and WOW do they hook up offroad! it was dark before i got them on so i didnt get pictures, but damn is it fun offroad! got a little squirly at one point going over a bump section leaned over, but i was riding it like a dirtbike and it was pitch black out. 😄 definitely doesnt have the lean angle im used to with the new knobbies, but its 1000% better offroad, so i can live with that! now im going to have a hard time figuring out whether to take the fj or the versys when i go out! 😆

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
just got done doing some trails that i really should not have taken a road bike down! ony used the exhaust as a skidplate twice, i think, and only dropped it once because of some clay on an off camber section with roots and boulders. no damage that i can tell except for one of the lower black fairing mounts is bent up. the barkbusters held up nicely as well! also, i learned that she doesnt like sand, AT ALL...... front end wants to wash out consistently in the sugar sand. i did get her stuck in a mud puddle where she was completely high centered and i had to pull her forwards till the rear tire grabbed traction to get out. (the water was over my boots deep!)
for where i took the versys today, i realize that there is NO WAY im taking my fj-09 down the same trails! i can hit gravel roads on the versys with confidence now that i have these tkc80's on her! even two track is not bad, as long as there are not 15" boulders to navigate like i did today! dirt, mud, roots, gravel, the versys can handle them all now, but i dont like going up hill with large boulders to dodge!
i honestly think i should try to sell the versys to get a klr 650 though.

·
Registered
201 Posts
i honestly think i should try to sell the versys to get a klr 650 though.
I think you are probably on the right track there. Since you already have a street bike, why have another street bike that has dirt tires? Get it a dedicated dirt bike or at the very least a dual sport like you mentioned, you will have a lot better time (a potentially break a lot less parts) riding off road.
If you are going to be riding mostly dirt, personally, I would go for the smallest, lightest dual sport available. a 250 is a lot more fun than a 650 in tight woods.

·
Super Moderator
20,411 Posts
If you are going to be riding mostly dirt, personally, I would go for the SMALLEST, LIGHTEST dual sport available. a 250 is a lot more fun than a 650 in tight woods.
MY vote also!

21 - 40 of 69 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.