Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my versys is paid off, i have an fj-09 as my main road bike right now and im currently doing nothing with my versys. im thinking it would make a good candidate to convert to an offroad beast! my question, is what do i need to do to get a 21" tire on the front, and what shock will bolt on to the back to get a little lift back there? im just looking to get ground clearance and good offroad manners out of it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Warp 9 can probably make the wheel/rotor assembly for you such that it'll just swap right in that's what I did on my old DR. Then it's probably just a fender and cable routing exercise... (Unless you run into clearance issues) As for the rear shock cogent dynamics would be who'd I would call. Wont be cheap but it'll be awesome.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Warp 9 will hook the wheel up for probably $500 and the shock will probably be $800ish? Guessing. That'll be around what it's gonna cost would be my guess. Wish I knew more for ya.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Warp 9 will hook the wheel up for probably $500 and the shock will probably be $800ish? Guessing. That'll be around what it's gonna cost would be my guess. Wish I knew more for ya.
😳WAY too much!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
my versys is paid off, i have an fj-09 as my main road bike right now and im currently doing nothing with my versys. im thinking it would make a good candidate to convert to an offroad beast! my question, is what do i need to do to get a 21" tire on the front, and what shock will bolt on to the back to get a little lift back there? im just looking to get ground clearance and good offroad manners out of it.
lots of threads and posts on this subject if you poke around the forum a bit. there's not all that much room for a 21 front once you address more suspension travel, i'd suggest you consider a 19 front instead. at any rate, it's all been done, cheap to expensive, lots of options.

·
Registered
78 Posts
What's the logic for a 21" wheel being better off-road than a 19" anyway? I've had both can't say I noticed anything.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
What's the logic for a 21" wheel being better off-road than a 19" anyway? I've had both can't say I noticed anything.
the OP inquired about fitment of a 21 front, not the logic of using any other front beyond OEM, or a comparison of 19 vs 21. Warp 9 does not have a spoke hub for the Versys currently that could be considered a direct bolt-in swap, although that circumstance may change. Warp 9 does have hubs that can be fitted to the OEM Versys forks, all require work, some require a lot of work.

21 front on an 09 Versys, clean install, but not easy unless you have some skills with CNC machine tools. you can see from the photo that there's not much room in front of the radiator at full stuff, and you will stuff those forks eventually...maybe frequently if you push it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
There sure are a fair amount of poopy pants attitude havin' people on this forum aren't there. Guess I'll just piss off. I just asked the OP why a 21? I was just curious. He can speak for himself. If he didn't want to answer he could have said it or he could of just had a reasonable short response as to why he thought a 21 was a better choice then we all could have moved on together happily and a little more educated. Didn't realize there were rules or forum police running around mandating what is and is not allowed in a response. My advice was valid.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
My advice was valid.
actually your advice was not valid. nobody currently has spoke hubs to build direct swap Versys wheel sets in 21 or any other size, at least not until RAD locates their apparently lost CAD files and starts machining billet hubs again. while Cogent does manufacture a good custom shock product, that has not been the inexpensive shock swap for Versys owners chasing better performance and a little more travel.

Versys wheel swaps and suspension swaps have been discussed on this forum constantly since opening day 12 years ago. if you want to offer advice, go ahead, but know the facts.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
If trying to do this on the cheap, and you have another street bike, why not sell the versys and replace it with a dirt bike, or a dual sport if you still need street legal? Way easier, my guess is cheaper, and will handle off road much better.

·
Registered
78 Posts
actually your advice was not valid.
Yes it was, just because you know something to be the way doesn't mean it's the only way. Cogent would have made him a rear shock and given the right person with enough effort working with warp 9 and their endless piles of components I have seen people create new products out of need. For the record he didn't say he was on a budget until I mentioned cost. I'm done talking to you. We clearly have differing personalities and you feel the need to regurgitate what is known to be because you've been around forever on this forum while stifling creativity and possibilities for future solutions. Coming up with a lot of excuses why things can't be done is how you fail to get things done.

Good luck with the build thunderblue, going to respectfully exit this conversation, sorry for the mess.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I'm done talking to you. We clearly have differing personalities and you feel the need to regurgitate what is known to be because you've been around forever on this forum while stifling creativity and possibilities for future solutions. Coming up with a lot of excuses why things can't be done is how you fail to get things done....
you got it, i'm all about stifling creativity and have a closed mind to any off the beaten path solutions. motorcycles are dangerous contraptions, however it comes out of the crate, just leave it be...the factory boys know best.

but wait a sec, remember your "old DR" wheels from post #2, well, here is a new DR wheel on the front of my (you guessed it) Versys. not a Warp 9 wheel, but that is a 320mm Warp 9 rotor. got a 17" DR wheel out back. it takes some time to find the Kawasaki part numbers for those wheels.

·
Registered
12 Posts
There sure are a fair amount of poopy pants attitude havin' people on this forum aren't there. Guess I'll just piss off. I just asked the OP why a 21? I was just curious. He can speak for himself. If he didn't want to answer he could have said it or he could of just had a reasonable short response as to why he thought a 21 was a better choice then we all could have moved on together happily and a little more educated. Didn't realize there were rules or forum police running around mandating what is and is not allowed in a response. My advice was valid.
21" should be better handling, just the physics of having a larger diameter would make it more stable on gravel and crap... tight squeeze getting it in there.

·
Premium Member
2015 650 Versys LT ABS
40 Posts
i want to do it on the cheap if possible.
My advice is simple & cheap;
No modifications needed​
go out on fire trails - gravel see if you like it.​
Find remote gravel stretch and do slides, 8ths, break the back traction etc.​
If you feel comfortable (make sure all your controls are correctly set up for you) on it, do it again.
Remember, it's not and never will be a dedicated ADV bike, but I accepted the limitation and had to learn how to ride with those limitations and of course which trails and which are high risk.

Cheers!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
on my fj-09, i already have a set of fork tube extenders and adjutable dog bones in the mail to give me about 1.5" more ground clearance on that bike for adventure purposes, but that will still be less or about the same as the versys is stock. honestly, im thinking im just going to throw a set of tkc80's on the versys and call it a day. the 130/80-17 front tire will net me about .75-1" more gc in the front and a bit more tire diameter for better trail, and with added trail comes more stability. toss on a skidplate and i'll call it good. i'll have to see how she handles some atv trails when i get it done.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Funny, that is exactly what I did, tkc80's, skidplate, engine guard plus of course coaching on specific ADV riding.
Btw, why do you have two almost identical bikes?
View attachment 180199
the fj was the upgrade from the versys, more hp, better handling, more comfort. i still have not ruled out trading the versys for something more offroad capable, but i still think the versys would make a good dirt bike!

my fj-09

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
the fj was the upgrade from the versys, more hp, better handling, more comfort. i still have not ruled out trading the versys for something more offroad capable, but i still think the versys would make a good dirt bike!
I went from a DRZ-400S, to a KLR650, to a KLX250S for off-road riding. IMO, you need to be physically strong and have exceptional skill to ride a heavy bike off-road. You might consider trading the versys for a dusl sport unless you are a former DC dirt racer looking for a challenge.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts