Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not owned or ridden a bike in 30 years since my KZ900 and I did battle with a car. I was lucky enough to finally meet a dealer that wanted to sell me a bike that I would be happy with and took the time to help me find it. So guess what I ended up with ? I got it yesterday and had a friend ride it home for me as I wanted to make sure it got there. By the time we got back to my house and I took him home, it was getting late so I just took a quick ride up and down the street before calling it a day. What a sweet ride ! Three guesses what I thought about all day at work. After supper, I started the bike and noticed the back tire was a little low. I grabbed my gauge and as I went to check saw the head of fair sized bolt right in the center of the tread. Well, there's your problem. I searched here and it seems that a plug and trip to the dealer would be the best way to handle this. Any other ideas are welcome and should I just replace tire with the same one ?

Thanks

·
Registered
429 Posts
:(

Wow, sorry to hear this. I'd take it to the dealer and see. I'm not recommending this, but I used some Slime years ago and it worked as a temporary stop gap, but for sure you need to get it repaired (or replaced...) asap. The Versys is a sweet ride. Congrats!

Here's hoping you don't have to jump through to many hopes to get that rear tire in working order!

Luke

·
Registered
754 Posts
I agree with Luke. Take it to the dealer. If it is in the center of the tread, I'm pretty sure you can have it patched from the inside. No plug is used, just a super strong patch thats attached and glued in place on the inside of the tire.

Good luck and welcome. :thumb:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I called the dealer. He thought that due to the size of the bolt I should just have it brought in for a new tire. If I try to patch it and wreck getting there I'm going to be out more than the $40 he's charging to pick it up, so I'm just going to flex and get it over with. I'm also going to check with my insurance company and see if I have hazard coverage (I know - stupid doesn't know).

·
Registered
530 Posts
What I do win if I guess what you were thinking about at work? :)

I'd go for the new tire - it's $120 for peace of mind.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What I do win if I guess what you were thinking about at work? :)

I'd go for the new tire - it's $120 for peace of mind.
Well, I see you live in one of my favorite locations on the planet and I AM on vacation next week. How about a coffee or a beer ?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Well, I see you live in one of my favorite locations on the planet and I AM on vacation next week. How about a coffee or a beer ?
Niagara Falls? Really? Sure - PM me and I'll send you my contact info. I'm on the Canadian side - which I think is the best side.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts