Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will start by saying "I know better". I have owned over 40 bikes throughout the years so I have no excuse.

My first mistake...when I arrived to look at the Versys it was warm...he had pre-started it. I usually request the bike be stone cold when i arrive.

I turned on the ignition and left it on for a good 2 minutes while we chatted to see if the battery was hootched. It fired right up.

Okay..I buy the bike get it home last night and this morning it doesn't have enough left in the battery to start it....grrrr.
I leave the charger on all day and after work I check it and no..the battery is hootched..no green light on the charger.
So..I just put a new battery in.

The guy was not poor. Why you would sell a bike with a bad battery ($70.00 item) baffles me. The fact he pre started is glaring evidence that he knew.
I asked him point blank if the bike needed anything..."nope"

It makes me wonder what else I might find.

I have always given full disclosure on the bikes I have sold...I sleep well at night and there is not a bar or a biker event that I fear to go to.

This really pisses me off.

·
Registered
481 Posts
:sorry:Hate that, but wasn't it a low miles bike? Call him and ask him for a more precise history..."just how old was that battery mate?" Don't stoop to his level...let his karma catch up with him.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Call the guy. Tell him what happened and ask him if he would be willing to pay for the battery. Now if you beat him up on the price that might not work. Give him a chance to make it right. ;)

If he says no find out were he works and go there.. Walk into his office grab him and pull him out in front of everyone and pistol whip the hell out of him. :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
:sorry:Hate that, but wasn't it a low miles bike? Call him and ask him for a more precise history..."just how old was that battery mate?" Don't stoop to his level...let his karma catch up with him.
It is a low mile bike..1140 miles on a 2007..I was able to verify this as being true.
Definitely not the original battery (at least I don't think so). It had some kind of alarm system on it which I removed..that may have drained it down too many times..I don't know.
But..what comes around goes around...the God's of motorcycle will torment him...his dick will fall off.

Now the good news...just got back from my first ride. What a hoot! It reminds me of the Ducati Multistrada I used to have (without the lovely Duck sound).
Plenty of wheel lofting jam..I am impressed!

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
You're correct. The motorcycle gods will torment him and his gentleman's sausage WILL fall off. Seen it happen - well, not literally. :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Call the guy. Tell him what happened and ask him if he would be willing to pay for the battery. Now if you beat him up on the price that might not work. Give him a chance to make it right. ;)

If he says no find out were he works and go there.. Walk into his office grab him and pull him out in front of everyone and pistol whip the hell out of him. :D
I don't have a pistol to pistol whip with....how bout a rifle butting ?

·
Registered
692 Posts
I'm with you on that Maverick. I was real pissed for part of the day until I went for a ride..the bike runs flawless. I'm over it.
In my younger and dumber years I would have gotten liquored up and went to the guys house and smacked his women. Being more wise and on the wagon, nowadays I would go to Craigslist and hire someone with cash using a burner phone and send that guy over there to do work. :yeahsmile::devil:

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
I always make sure I get a price on a used bike with the thoughts that I am going to have to fix something. Then I don't feel bad when I have to replace something.

I also request the bike be stone cold when I inspect it because I run a microfiber rag all over the bike when looking for imperfections.

When I sell, I make sure the bike is stone cold as well. Some buyers appreciate that, some don't get it.

I am amazed at the bikes for sale that don't even have the proper air pressure in the tires. I think, "good thing this guy is selling. He shouldn't be taking on the risk of riding anyway."

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I always make sure I get a price on a used bike with the thoughts that I am going to have to fix something. Then I don't feel bad when I have to replace something.

I also request the bike be stone cold when I inspect it because I run a microfiber rag all over the bike when looking for imperfections.

When I sell, I make sure the bike is stone cold as well. Some buyers appreciate that, some don't get it.

I am amazed at the bikes for sale that don't even have the proper air pressure in the tires. I think, "good thing this guy is selling. He shouldn't be taking on the risk of riding anyway."
You are right, usually a used bike requires something. I guess I am too honest. I just sold my 650 Dakar.
I went through it with a fine tooth comb with the guy who eventually bought it, and pointed out everything that would need to be replaced or looked at soon.
The buyer really appreciated that and afterward told me that he had several choices but bought my bike because of the honest approach.
This is why the deceptive approach over a battery does not make sense. I would have bought the bike anyway. With only 1100 miles the bike was simply a garage queen owned by two owners who really were not into it.
I have already changed the oil, bled the brakes and will be flushing coolant this weekend.
When the time comes to sell, the bike will have a full documented maintenance history for the buyer to look at.

·
Super Moderator
19,160 Posts
I don't have a pistol to pistol whip with....how bout a rifle butting ?
You sound like a Canadian, so DON'T use a firearm. :nono: Just get a rubber hose about 2' long and WHACK him about the head and ears...!:exactly:

·
Registered
601 Posts
Grammar Police

In my younger and dumber years I would have gotten liquored up and went to the guys house and smacked his women. Being more wise and on the wagon, nowadays I would go to Craigslist and hire someone with cash using a burner phone and send that guy over their to do work. :yeahsmile::devil:
:eek:fftopic:

Sorry King.Versys, you've been busted by the grammar police..."there" not "their". I think the fine is doubled for fellow grammar police. :stickpoke: ...just kidding, I love your signature line and there is so much confusion about these words...one you forgot though is should've/would've/could've/must've not "should/would/could/must of"

·
Registered
29 Posts
:eek:fftopic:

Sorry King.Versys, you've been busted by the grammar police..."there" not "their". I think the fine is doubled for fellow grammar police. :stickpoke: ...just kidding, I love your signature line and there is so much confusion about these words...one you forgot though is should've/would've/could've/must've not "should/would/could/must of"
I'm sure he was testing us.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Glad that's all that was wrong with it. With that low of miles on a bike that old, it's pretty much a given that the battery is going to be kaput, even if it's a replacement since he's not putting miles on it. The dude should have replaced it, though.

I am living with Canadians, and they use hockey sticks to whack upside heads.

·
Super Moderator
19,160 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts