Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All -

What do you recommend for maintenance of the bike given...

1) Riding maybe once or twice in November and December,
2) Once or not at all in JAN FEB (probable add a farkle or two during this time to keep my sanity)

My guess is fuel stabilizer, but in JAN and FEB, its only two months...btw the bike is indoors (garage)

tnx

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
What type of 'winter' are we talking? What is the average temperature and humidity level in the garage, and does it freeze and thaw often? Are you close to salty coast line?
Not sure about USA, but Canadian premium gas is fine for many months of storage over winter. You could change the oil when you do store it at end of year.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Here in Colorado, I keep the bike on a battery tender and a close eye on tire pressure and oil level year-round. During winter, I keep the tank topped off to avoid condensation.

I ride it when I can and give it no other thought, whatsoever.

V-Zee

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
I pick the warmest days by watching the forecast and try to ride at least an hour every 2 to 3 weeks through the winter to get her really warmed up, battery charged, and get some fresh fuel back in the tank. I also keep it topped off to avoid condensation in the tank.

·
Registered
508 Posts
If the bike is indoors and its topped off you should be OK with something like seafoam in with the gas and a battery tender. I have a track bike that gets little use these days and I drain the fuel but I always have it on a tender and Ive never had a problem firing it up when I do get a chance to use it.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
If you're in an area like mine where the roads are heavily salted, consider giving the bike a good wash after the occssional winter drive.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Good point! a battery tender is always good.
I run tenders on both bikes and my CJ year-round. Small motorcycle batteries are particularly sensitive to wide sweeps in charge level and sulfating. It kills 'em. My batteries last a lot longer doing this, plus the bike/Jeep is always ready on those surprise warm days during the winter months. For $35 or so, my battery is happy and so am I. Highly recommended.

V-Zee

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
I run tenders on both bikes and my CJ year-round. Small motorcycle batteries are particularly sensitive to wide sweeps in charge level and sulfating. It kills 'em. My batteries last a lot longer doing this, plus the bike/Jeep is always ready on those surprise warm days during the winter months. For $35 or so, my battery is happy and so am I. Highly recommended.

V-Zee
Exactly. Cheaper than a battery. A worthy investment!!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tnx all -

pretty moderate winters in VA/Washington. Garage maybe gets to 40, but has never frozen. I will put some stabilizer with fresh 93 octane and the battery tender....

The only thing left is to start to plan for Spring's first ride.

·
Registered
875 Posts
While I don't like putting anything but gas in my gas tank I'll be adding stabilizer to the tank of"premium" gas as I've also been told that the gas doesn't stay good for as long as it used to...additives, ethanol, new chemistry....whatever...Thanks for all the info fellas. MUCH appreciated!
Looking forward to a couple winter [URL="
[/URL] myself. [URL="
[/URL] OUT.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would never prep my bikes for winter ... I rather ride them heated gear is all you need. i dont care how cold it get if the roads are dry i'm riding it....

·
Registered
628 Posts
for two months?
Battery tender and top the tank with non ethanol gasoline. If you have mice put a couple of dryer sheets (bounce or similar) around the exhaust opening and seat.
Put it away after reaching full temp. Park it out of the sunlight and go hibernate with your favorite sweetie or motorcycle accessory catalog. I do not even think of changing the oil unless it is at the end of it service life. But then I use the good stuff...: )

edit Condensation only occurs when you heat it up. The moisture sticks around when you do not run it up to temp. Good oil contains everything you need to prevent rust. This is why you do not start it once in a while and then shut it back off.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I plug the exhaust up with a wad of steel wool. Works fine.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yep.....just ride. Heated grips, elephant ears, tall screen, warm gear. battery tender and garage kept. One good day every 2 weeks should see her through the Winter.

·
Registered
287 Posts
As long as there isn't snow/ice on the ground, a short ride and topping up the tank is all you should need every 2 weeks or so. Last year I was riding well into December, then once or twice in January. Only time the bike stayed put was in February, but I just ran her every 2 weeks or so and she was fine. Did change the oil in March when I went back to riding more often...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts