Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm sitting at a light tonight and a Harley pulls up behind me. For the next 90 seconds or so I'm rewarded with the sounds of Vroooom....Vroooooooom....Vroooooom...and so on. :clap: Yeah, your bike makes noise, very nice. :thumb: Low and behold, another Harley turns left in front of us, and I **** you not, he's got the clutch half pulled in so that while he's turning, he's also making noises.....Vroooom....Vroooom, now in stereo...Vrooooooom...... It was silly, and insane. Maybe it's the vibrations, perhaps it feels so good it tickles their assholes just right or something. There must be SOME reason a good number of Harley riders insist on revving the piss out of their motors while standing still.

Second observation, 70% of Harley riders in my area do not wave back. I don't know if this is because:

A; I'm not on a Harley therefore I'm not cool enough to warrant the trouble of waving.

B; They're holding on for dear life and dare not let go of the bars for fear of losing control.

C; They're in their own world and simply don't give a rats ass about waving to other riders.

Harley riders seem to shop an awful lot at Harley dealerships. I mean, how else can you get a complete matching outfit of Harley T shirt, Harley sunglasses, Harley jeans, Harley gloves, Harley boots, a Harley bandanna and a handful of HD decals for good measure?

Finally, while at work and not on a bike where I can get around them, I'm often held up by groups of Harley riders going down the fast lane at say 54mph holding up a 1/4 mile string of traffic for miles and miles. I now see why these bikes are called HOGS. WTF, move out of the way please. I mean, I know your bike cost 3X the Versys and weighs 2.5X the Versys yet has LESS BHP, but come on, it's got to be able to move down the highway in the fast lane at say.....65mph, isn't it?

:)

Luke

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
So I'm sitting at a light tonight and a Harley pulls up behind me. For the next 90 seconds or so I'm rewarded with the sounds of Vroooom....Vroooooooom....Vroooooom...and so on. :clap: Yeah, your bike makes noise, very nice. :thumb: Low and behold, another Harley turns left in front of us, and I **** you not, he's got the clutch half pulled in so that while he's turning, he's also making noises.....Vroooom....Vroooom, now in stereo...Vrooooooom...... It was silly, and insane. Maybe it's the vibrations, perhaps it feels so good it tickles their assholes just right or something. There must be SOME reason a good number of Harley riders insist on revving the piss out of their motors while standing still.

Second observation, 70% of Harley riders in my area do not wave back. I don't know if this is because:

A; I'm not on a Harley therefore I'm not cool enough to warrant the trouble of waving.

B; They're holding on for dear life and dare not let go of the bars for fear of losing control.

C; They're in their own world and simply don't give a rats ass about waving to other riders.

Harley riders seem to shop an awful lot at Harley dealerships. I mean, how else can you get a complete matching outfit of Harley T shirt, Harley sunglasses, Harley jeans, Harley gloves, Harley boots, a Harley bandanna and a handful of HD decals for good measure?

Finally, while at work and not on a bike where I can get around them, I'm often held up by groups of Harley riders going down the fast lane at say 54mph holding up a 1/4 mile string of traffic for miles and miles. I now see why these bikes are called HOGS. WTF, move out of the way please. I mean, I know your bike cost 3X the Versys and weighs 2.5X the Versys yet has LESS BHP, but come on, it's got to be able to move down the highway in the fast lane at say.....65mph, isn't it?

:)

Luke
SOOO true!!! I've been caught behind the Harley drag-net myself a few times.

:D:D:D

Funny you mention the waving, Sunday I was out for about an hour or so on the bike. The ONLY 2 waves were from a pair of Harley riders in full costume, do-rags, tattoos on sleeveless arms & all!! I laughed out loud in my helmet! They were the last two bikers I saw before pulling into my neighborhood. :D

Funny **** indeed...

·
Registered
716 Posts
I've noticed that the harley guys in southern NM are much friendlier than they are up north. The other corollary I've noticed is that if the Harley has "ape hanger" handlebars they never wave, ( I assume because they might lose control of their rides if they hazarded a wave! :)

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Most of the Harley riders here in the Atlanta area will wave, but there are plenty that don't. Seems like most riders here will wave.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey guys,
I tried this joke out on a friend of mine (harley rider) and he wasn't so fond of it but you've really got to try it out on a harley rider sometime.

Joke:
YOU: Hey, do you know what the difference is between a harley and a hoover vacuum cleaner?
HARLEY FAN: What?
YOU: The position of the dirt-bag......

I wouldn't recommend using this at the local harley bar hangout but nonetheless it is a good one.

·
Registered
83 Posts
In Northern Colorado it’s a mixed bag. If the Harley rider is in a group on weekends I can get most of them to wave back. If there single and on a chopped or custom bike no way. There is one person that I pass almost every day on the way to work. This guy just glares at me when I wave, kind of a “how dare you look”. I just laugh.

There are a couple of BMW-GS riders that refuse to wave unless you are on a GS. I usually see them on weekends and they never wave. Then one day while I was riding with a GS they waved, not a me of course.

Harley riders seem to shop an awful lot at Harley dealerships. I mean, how else can you get a complete matching outfit of Harley T shirt, Harley sunglasses, Harley jeans, Harley gloves, Harley boots, a Harley bandanna and a handful of HD decals for good measure?...

You forgot the Harley underware. :D

·
Registered
530 Posts
I'm not into bashing one group or another but they are the group least likely to wave (unless they are new and haven't been told to not wave). I mix the HD guys in with the Metric Cruisers into one group called the "Cruisers'. These are the riders into the look not the ride.

When I took my M2 Exit course in June we were asked how many kilometers we ride annually. The three cruisers answered each about 3000 kilometers - I responded 10,000 kilometers. They were the worst of the bunch. One guy barely passed with the maximum number of errors, a second one blew through the quick stop with a 10' patch and the third commented that she has never scraped her highway boards before (which were 3" off the ground).

Now, I've run into some very professional cruiser riders but it seems to be the exception versis the norm. The group that I've found to be the most likely to wave are the sport bike dudes/dudettes in full leathers. Seems kind of backwards - I'd thought these riders would be too elite for that kind of thing.

That joke about the Hoover - to dam funny. I have to remember that one. I blew ramen noodles through my nose when I read that one.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The worst riders for sure are the kids on Youtube showing off for their friends. They always seem to stop 50' past the person holding the video camera to capture the lame wheelie attempt. The rider is ascared to hit the binders, in most videos they wind up shouting at the camera man from afar "how was that?". :)

I almost killed a drunk Harley rider a few weeks ago coming home from work. I noticed a small SUV flying out of a parking lot and into my path so I slowed down. It was a drunk woman. Had I not slowed down for her I might have T boned her in my service van at 60mph. Low and behold a drunk ass Harley rider comes flying out right behind her, swerving all over two lanes of highway trying to follow her. If I were not paying attention he would have been TOAST. I gave him a few kind words when I got close enough. As best I can tell it was two drunk lovers leaving a bar, headed to the trailer park for some extra marital fun. NEITHER the driver or the riders looked at the road or slowed down one bit as they turned onto I-140, which has got to be one of the most dangerous roads in my area. It's a busy road with people driving 70+mph all day long.

I see plenty of guys on the road who look like they can hardly handle a turn. Sad. I take pride in being able to make a U turn anywhere at the slowest speed imaginable w/o placing a foot down. :) Dirt biking improved my street skillz a thousand fold.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I used to ride a Harley and belonged to the HD forum and they do their fair of other bike bashing, especially non-HD cruisers. Then I switched to the Honda ST1300 which was more of a clut like existance on that site and the HD bashing was not so much they were more into Squid bashing cloaked as scoldings. Now I am here and it's a mix of both and I do love some good hearted ribbing at everyones exspense just don't take yourself to serious and try to kid yourselves that the "other" bikers, riders, enthusists etc don't think thier bike is the greatest and that we and our odd looking bikes are,,,,well odd!
And yes when I had my HD I did rev it but not for you it was purely for me cuz I thought it sounded cool and I liked to listen to it, hell at least I can admit it though!!!!!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've felt for years that H-D wasn't selling a motorcycle as much as they were selling a life-style. The clothing and branded accessories, make H-D more money than the bikes do.

Also, if you were to drive into a strange town and wanted to find a seedy bar how would you do it? Me, I'd look for all the H-Ds parked in a bar parking lot. I've never met a group that spends as much time around the bar as on the road as a H-D group.

IMHO, YMMV.

Red

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm happy to see that I'm not the only person that has made this observation. Over the years, I have asked many HD riders what gives and they all say the same thing--It's not me. I wave at everyone.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I don't seem to have a problem with waves from Harley riders here in Oregon. I do believe I have more difficulty with the Harley tourists who come through and don't wave. Especially along the coast.

Sometimes I think they might catch themselves - a half wave by accident and then, "what the heck was that bike?" as they glance over their shoulder sheepishly...

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've had a couple of waves from H-D's. Most of the metric cruiser guys will wave at me. The seroius sprotbike crowd (ATGATT) will wave. I have yet to get a wave from a squid (shorts, wife beater, sneakers/flip-flops). I razz a good friend of mine at work about his H-D. I keep telling him I'm going to put an oil drip pan under his bike and set a quart of oil by his kickstand:p. Plus, I could almost buy 3 Versys for what he paid:eek:.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have yet to get a wave from a squid (shorts, wife beater, sneakers/flip-flops). paid:eek:.
They probably don't know any better.

It is a pain sometimes when it's crowded with lot's of bikers, on a nice day though. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Some wave. Some don't. Insecurity levels vary.

Way back, in Arkansas I bought a Honda Shadow from a neighbor of my dads and rode it back to Wichita where I lived at the time. 20 miles into the trip, weaving through the twisties in Bella Vista I pass a old dude going the other way on a old Harley (Panhead, Shovelhead, Show me to the Head... I don't know what it was). This guy had a foot long beard blowing back around his face and gave me the biggest wave I've ever gotten. Some Harley riders are cool. Most aren't. I don't even want to get into the subject of their loud pipe penile compensators.

"a pair of Harley riders in full costume, do-rags, tattoos on sleeveless arms & all!!"

The Harley Costume. Exactly how I describe them. :yeahsmile:

You forgot the Harley underware[/I]

Comes with dyed in skid marks :D

1 - 20 of 52 Posts