Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
What's next for adventure? I want to go to Ushuaia. We saw a few people in Alaska who started there, I'm jealous!
I've a friend who rode her bicycle (yes you read that right) last year from the north shore of Alaska to Ushuaia. Solo, in her late 50's, cancer survivor. Her experiences were amazing, with so many friendly and helpful strangers whom she randomly encountered.

There were a couple of areas she had to stay away from for safety reasons. So if you do the ride be sure to carefully research which areas you should avoid. I believe one place was in Columbia where it borders Panama. Take seriously any such warnings at the time you travel! She also felt unsafe camping alone in a few places and chose to go to a hotel, though she did camp out most nights.

Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman are reportedly scheduled to make the ride south to north next year for their next adventure, "Long Way Up".

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
And finally a few pictures from the trip!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
19,412 Posts
I've a friend who rode her bicycle (yes you read that right) last year from the north shore of Alaska to Ushuaia. Solo, in her late 50's, cancer survivor. Her experiences were amazing, with so many friendly and helpful strangers whom she randomly encountered....
While riding the Dempster Hwy (in '09) we camped at a "Provincial Campground" called Rock River, about half an hour N of Eagle Plains.

After camp was set-up I went for a 'walk-about' and saw two bicycles, one w/ a kid's saddle also, by a site, so I chatted w/ the folks. They were from Scotland, and had flown into Inuvik w/ their bikes and gear, and were on their way to Ushuaia. Had a nice chat, then wished them well, and next morning we headed N while they went S.

Two days later approaching Eagle Plains I noticed bike tracks as we climbed the hill, then after setting camp, we went inside for a beer, and ran into the Scots again. Seemed a trucker saw them, stopped to chat, then left, pulled into the Eagle Plains 'hotel' and paid for a room for the couple and the nine year old daughter for two nights.

Then he drove back to them, telling them to 'check-in' w/ the manager for a SURPRISE, then continued on his way.

The Scots couple were just "BUBBLING", they were so surprised & happy, being able to have showers and NO SKEETERS!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
It’s funny how you kind of get in a pack when you go up there, we saw the same people repeatedly at various places as well, only so many places to go!

I didn’t stay in any hotels in Alaska, just once in Prince George and once on the way home in Minnesota since I REALLY needed to ice my knee which had become irritated and was swelling with a lot of pain. Defiantly going to look into highway pegs or maybe lower foot pegs but I’m concerned with scraping the hell out of them.

I’m not sure where to next, I think the next trip we take will be SE USA in the Smokies area or Maybe Baja/Pacific Coast. I’m not sure if I’ll get back up to Alaska anytime soon. If I do another 30 day trip it’s probably going to be South America on a much lighter bike. I was jealous of the riders in Alaska who made it from the bottom of South America.

For now I’m in the process of relocating to Alabama from New York and I’ll be within 3 hours of Deals Gap and some great twisty roads down there. The V650 should be in it’s element.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Be AWARE that you WILL be traveling thru a herd of bison on the Alcan, and they can lay a WORLD OF HURT on you in a VERY short period of time, so BE CAREFUL! They are in the vicinity of Ft Nelson to Muncho Lake, and tend to be ON the highway. [I did NOT take pics while riding thru the herd, and EVERY time I've ridden the southern part of the Alcan they've been ON the hwy!]

It's something I 'fabbed' to attach to the small Kawi rack I put on, and that is its sole purpose! You can see the Kawi rack behind my seat in this pic.

And here it is w/ the aluminum rack attached (that's 24" x 20".) Works VG to attach my camping gear to.

Wow!! That's great, hope you enjoy your journey so much.

·
Registered
242 Posts
great thread. just a little jealous my last 2 big bikes were both going to be my distance road/adventure/camping/ld trip bikes. both caponords. the first was an 06 i got in 09 and put 80k miles in 4 years....commuting. the second is a 2015 capo with 86k miles...commuting. plus another 60k on a couple of scooters....commuting. i don't plan on anything but commuting on the v650. maybe i can sneak a trip in that way. btw i'm a big fan of avons. long life even on big bikes. 190 on the rear of the 15 capo and i got almost 16k from a storm 3d and 14 from a spirit. the shinko 705's when they came out felt like riding on duplo blocks after a few k. i have a raven on a mana that won't wear out though. i don't even know how many miles on it. 16k?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the great write-up, LeeR!

When I had my V650 my longest trip was from Eastern Long Island, NY to Bethlehem, PA, the long way; taking every back road possible. Nothing in comparison to an Iron Butt Rally, but I had to peel myself off the bike at the close of the return trip nonetheless.

If you get the opportunity to do Baja, definitely take it! I only got as far as San Felipe (in a cage, San Diego, Arizona,Utah, Vegas family road trip), but I when I get back it will include Baja Sur as well. The landscapes are so diverse, friendly people, and I'm guessing the 'last frontier' feeling is the same in some way as Alaska...

21 - 31 of 31 Posts